The Smiths-Complete Super Deluxe Collectors Box?

So according to the details now posted on Rhino, there's going to be a Reel Around the Fountain 7". I assume (and hope) that this and There is a Light 7", etc. will be easily identifiable as reissues. I know most of the other Rhino stuff was easy to spot as reissues since they said RHN or something instead of RT. Although, weren't the Headmaster Ritual 7" reissues a little trickier to tell? I think the one I got on Record Store Day and the one in the 7" box set had more subtle differences. It's a bummer if reproductions of rarities make it hard to differentiate when you really want to get an original one.

Those are boys in drag? I never knew that.

Not sure about that either, but I read somewhere that the pic was chosen because they bear a passing resmblence to The Smiths: Moz, Rourke, Marr, Joyce. May have got the order wrong, but I think the Marr one is the most convincing.

P.

everydayslikesunday said:
That is serious money, but I'll probably order one if I can persuade the wife :p

What does put me off a little is the limited to ONLY 3,000 copies, that is hardly limited :crazy:

I'm not sure why I didn't get the e-mail :confused: The link on the front page doesn't work and still nothing on their webpage.

I presumed it would have been 1000 of each set available

I presumed it would have been 1000 of each set available

From what I can work out from the advert, there would be a limit of 3,000 of the boxsets and a limited to 1,000 of the vinyl Lp set whilst the cd set would not be limited. But I might be talking rubbish :p

Although surely, as the main boxset is obviously going to be more expensive than the vinyl Lp set, then wouldn't it make more sense to have that limited to the lower number?

It is still an awful lot of money for nothing new. In fact the more I think about it, the more it depresses me. As limited (expensive) boxsets go, this one is pretty lame. :(

Re: ‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles,

So, is THIS the remaster project that Stephen Street had been working on?

Will order it , just so beautiful...It is a lot of money (shipping to Italy , possibly by courier, is £ 28) but it looks stunning. And I am done for this year, no more Smiths/Moz expenses....and I am dead serious about this!! Oh yes...
Cheers Moz

everydayslikesunday said:
From what I can work out from the advert, there would be a limit of 3,000 of the boxsets and a limited to 1,000 of the vinyl Lp set whilst the cd set would not be limited. But I might be talking rubbish :p

Although surely, as the main boxset is obviously going to be more expensive than the vinyl Lp set, then wouldn't it make more sense to have that limited to the lower number?

It is still an awful lot of money for nothing new. In fact the more I think about it, the more it depresses me. As limited (expensive) boxsets go, this one is pretty lame. :(

I think the only thing that excites me about this boxset is the box!

Some of us are old enough to remember the advertising campaign for the original Warner Brothers releases in the early 90's. Remember the slogan for the 10 inch vinyl releases in the NME? "The last time Smiths albums will ever be released on vinyl"

What a con.

Those are boys in drag? I never knew that.

Not sure about that either, but I read somewhere that the pic was chosen because they bear a passing resmblence to The Smiths: Moz, Rourke, Marr, Joyce. May have got the order wrong, but I think the Marr one is the most convincing.

P.

Exactly :)
Boys%252520in%252520Drag.JPG

But I think it is Rourke, Joyce, Marr and Morrissey.

Dave

Re: ‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles,

‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles, DVD
  • Twenty-five 7-inches featuring all of the band’s singles with “specially reproduced rarities”
)

Probably Jesse Tobias playing his versions of The Smiths classics.

So according to the details now posted on Rhino, there's going to be a Reel Around the Fountain 7". I assume (and hope) that this and There is a Light 7", etc. will be easily identifiable as reissues. I know most of the other Rhino stuff was easy to spot as reissues since they said RHN or something instead of RT. Although, weren't the Headmaster Ritual 7" reissues a little trickier to tell? I think the one I got on Record Store Day and the one in the 7" box set had more subtle differences. It's a bummer if reproductions of rarities make it hard to differentiate when you really want to get an original one.

I wouldn't be too worried about that.
The image quality on the Headmaster 7" reissues isn't that great because they just used the scanned image of the original.
The original Headmaster 7" comes in a very flimsy, matte cover, whereas the reissues came in thick, couche paper.

The There Is A Light 7" vinyl has a silver label, and I doubt they would try to match that.

I was positive that the Headmaster Ritual 7" images had been taken straight out of my website.

Now I'm sure they did it, because they recently asked me for high quality There Is A Light 7" scans (as well as some other stuff).

I was positive that the Headmaster Ritual 7" images had been taken straight out of my website.

Now I'm sure they did it, because they recently asked me for high quality There Is A Light 7" scans (as well as some other stuff).

Those sneaky bastards! Flax, you are amazing.

So, what are the odds this will be released in the US a few months later for significantly less?

Last edited:

I don't have any firiends (and I never will), so I don't understand how this kind of thing works. Does everyone on this forum know who you are or given all the details in your profile, do they know what "my website" refers to??

I really shouldn't resort to petty-sarcasm, but since the Smiths or their back-catalog agents have never contacted me, I can only live in a sad and bitter world..... It's easier than making friends.

Those sneaky bastards! Flax, you are amazing.

So, what are the odds this will be released in the US a few months later for significantly less?

Unfortunately I don't really have any inside information on this, but my guess is that this will be a UK release only, since the previous box sets released by Rhino were also UK only....

I don't have any firiends (and I never will), so I don't understand how this kind of thing works. Does everyone on this forum know who you are or given all the details in your profile, do they know what "my website" refers to??

I really shouldn't resort to petty-sarcasm, but since the Smiths or their back-catalog agents have never contacted me, I can only live in a sad and bitter world..... It's easier than making friends.

Some people know who I am. But they didn't contact me here. My website is www.vulgarpicture.com and my email is listed there.

Buy it all again!

Yeah...right.

The Complete Picture on DVD? I bought that on VHS years ago and watched it about 3 times.

Poster? No one's gonna hang it on their wall, 'cause that would kill the value of the boxed set that you just got wallet-raped for.

Booklet with liner notes? You'll read those liner notes once, and they'll just tell you what you already know. And, if the liner notes were a real selling point, they'd tell us who wrote them.

Mini-LP CDs. A CD should be a CD and an LP should be an LP. Mini-LP CDs were not how the CDs were originally released, so they are fake repackagings .

Stuff to download? If it was so great it would be included in the over-priced boxed set.

I dunno. Some years ago I would've bought this, but nowadays I've stopped being a collector. So I guess this isn't for me. I have a bunch of Smiths vinyl and that's pretty cool. But really all you need are the songs on your IPod plus that book Peepholism by Jo Slee. They're trying to pick your pocket one more time, but if you buy this box set I guarantee it will just sit on a shelf collecting dust.

Yes, there was a photo of the box set open. I should have saved the image.

Off the top of my head, it said something like:

- 8 heavy weight LPs
- 8 miniLP cds
- 25 7"s (including replicas of rare ones)
- a 36"x24" poster
- The Complete Picture dvd
- Booklet with liner notes
- Prints of each album cover, 12"
- And some stuff to download

£249

The ad also mentioned a box set with 8 LPs and another box set with 8 CDs. No price for those.

I am gonna be honest now: yesterday evening I was all excited about this Box Set and promised myself to buy it but now....It is an awful lot of money (Boxst + shipping , a Total of Euro 320 more or less). Is it worth? Not so sure now...oh my God. Let's hope it does not get sold out in the meantime....
Cheers Moz

Last year i bought the Joy Division Deluxe Boxset from Rhino. It was a must have, because it belongs to my collection. But the boxset was very boring und in poor quality. Only a little piece of paper, a bad plastic artwork, two little promo cds... They had delivery problemes and send me first the wrong box. Then they send me two things to complete the box, so you dont have a sealed box. I must paid more shipping costs for that and so on... So, i decided never buy anything from Rhino again! The only good thing is, that the boxset was limited to only 500, so that the value rises a lot. But if i look to the Smiths set, maybe i make an exception and buy it. But for that price?! :crazy:

Exactly :)
Boys%252520in%252520Drag.JPG

But I think it is Rourke, Joyce, Marr and Morrissey.

Dave

How funny....I always found the second one from left to be a nice girl to look at.....
Cheers Moz

Flax has built and runs the site vulgarpicture, it's well known amongst the collecting community, as it hosts high quality scans of all Smiths and Morrissey releases. It is the logical place to go for anyone needing to check the artwork or label details of these discs.

check it out it's very professionally done an a nice place to spend a little time, just like the site mentioned in your sig is that you?

http://www.vulgarpicture.com/

Tags
complete boxset deluxe boxset
Back
Top Bottom