The Smiths Box Set?

This site is brilliant.
I post a suggestion at 9.50pm (in UK) with an idea that I thought would take months to see to fruition.
I log on at work to find an email saying someone has posted a reply, log on to the site to find that the box set has been completed!

I work in community development, we say a lot that process is as important as product - meaning that sometimes that way that we do a task (consultative, value based etc) is as important as the end result (achieving social good). But it goes out of the window with this site. Don't hang about just post up the albums.

Brilliant!

Thank for everyone's contributions so far. I will download and enjoy them later.

Now.....what about the artwork?

Cheers
Dave

Oh man these are jewels and me unable to download anything from megashitty...:mad:

Somebody knows a crack that works for megaupload. i've tried all but nothing works. :(

What about Rank?
Should there be a studio version of it - don't worry I'm not asking for that.

Could we include the full concert?

Or do you think the piece de la resistance should be the best Smiths concert ever.....any nominations for which gig that should be?

I have a fondness for Salford University because that is my alma mater...

What about Rank?

Or do you think the piece de la resistance should be the best Smiths concert ever.....any nominations for which gig that should be?

which is "the piece de la resistance"?

A France gig?

What about Rank?

The problem with Rank is that although you could add the tracks from the FM Radio Broadcast (There Is A Light, How Soon Is Now, and Frankly Mr. Shankly), but you still miss out on I Want The One I Can't Have, Never Had No One Ever, and Meat Is Murder...and to mix in the Audience recording to me would defeat the purpose...

As for best Smths concert ever, would be difficult since I think many people who frequent this site were not fortunate to see The Smiths live, and it's difficult to judge based on recordings..however, that shouldn't stop people from doing so if they want to...

Based on recording..I would have to chose Irvine Meadows, LA 1986 and Apollo, Manchester 1985 and both of those have been widely distibuted...

which is "the piece de la resistance"?

A France gig?

Maybe I should have typed it with the propper accents:
Pièce de résistance is a French term (circa 1839), translated into English literally as "piece of resistance", referring to the best part or feature of something (as in a meal), a showpiece, or highlight.

As far as I am aware there is no Smiths bootleg called Pièce de résistance

Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe I should have typed it with the propper accents:
Pièce de résistance is a French term (circa 1839), translated into English literally as "piece of resistance", referring to the best part or feature of something (as in a meal), a showpiece, or highlight.

As far as I am aware there is no Smiths bootleg called Pièce de résistance

Sorry for the confusion.

I learn something new today!. Thanks for clarify!

J'aime la langue francaise!!
Je parle trés bien francais
je suis un garcon trés beau!!

The Smith est un groupe trés magnifique!! and J'aime le cul de Alizée!!

c'est Alizée:
Hydargos_Alizee_ParisMatch260603_01-edit.jpg

Que buena esta! yo le daba por delante y por detras. =)

Last edited:
yes, yes, everybody upload the smiths BSIDES!!!

EXcelente idea from the cd sources!!

We can recreate this better:

*: Frankly Mr. Shankly (Alternate version)
Money Changes Everything (w/ Brian Ferry on vocals)
(Complete) I Want A Boy For My Birthday
(Complete) Cowbell-Click Track
etc, etc...

THE SMITHS F#1 OUTTAKES /1

01/ Hand In Glove 3:15
02/ This Charming Man (12” Single) 2:42
03/ Jeane (demo) 3:05
04/ Accept Yourself 3:57
05/ Wonderful Woman 3:10
06/ Back To The Old House 3:04
07/ These Things Take Time 2:23
08/ Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now 3:34
09/ Girl Afraid 2:48
10/ William, It Was Really Nothing 2:10
11/ Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want 1:52
12/ How Soon Is Now? 6:44
13/ Shakespeare's Sister 2:08
14/ Oscillate Wildly (Instrumental) 3:26
15/ Stretch Out And Wait 2:38
16/ Golden Lights* 2:40 //Mixes:
17/ This Charming Man (Manchester) 2:42
18/ This Charming Man (London) 2:47
19/ This Charming Man (New York) 5:35
20/ This Charming Man (New York instrumental) 4:19
21/ This Charming Man (Single remix) 2:46

THE SMITHS F#2 OUTTAKES /2

01/ How Soon Is Now? (12” Single -Italy) 7:03
02/ The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (Single version) 3:16
03/ Rubber Ring (12”Single) 3:56
/ Asleep (12” Single) 4:10
05/ Money Changes Everything (Instrumental) 4:39
06/ Unloveable 3:56
07/ Panic 2:21
08/ The Draize Train (Instrumental) 5:09
09/ Ask 3:15
10/ Shoplifters Of The World Unite 2:58
11/ London 2:07
12/ Half A Person 3:36
13/ You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby 3:32
14/ Sheila Take A Bow 2:41
15/ Work Is A Four Letter Word* 2:47
16/ I Keep Mine Hidden 2:00
17/ What's The World? (Live)** 2:13 //The Smiths & Sandie Shaw on vocals:
18/ Hand In Glove (w/ Sandie Shaw) 2:58
19/ Jeane (w/ Sandie Shaw) 2:52
20/ I Don't Owe You Anything (w/ Sandie Shaw) 4:06

THE SMITHS F#3 DEMOS

“The Hand That Rocks The Cradle” /Versions for the debut album /Produced by Troy Tate:
01/ Reel Around The Fountain (Demo) 6:15
02/ You've Got Everything Now (Demo) 4:25
03/ Miserable Lie (Demo) 4:49
04/ These Things Take Time (Demo) 2:45
05/ Wonderful Woman (Demo) 3:26
06/ Handsome Devil (Demo) 2:56
07/ Hand In Glove (Demo) 3:27
08/ What Difference Does It Make? (Demo) 4:10
09/ I Don't Owe You Anything (Demo) 4:34
10/ Suffer Little Children (Demo) 5:52
11/ Pretty Girls Make Graves (Troy Tate Version) 3:42
12/ Jeane (Troy Tate version) 3:05 //Troy Tate demos /Outtakes:
13/ Accept Yourself (Demo) 4:05
14/ The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (Demo) 5:18 //Troy Tate demos /Versions:
15/ Reel Around The Fountain (Demo -2nd versions) 5:59
16/ Miserable Lie (Demo -2nd version) 4:37
17/ Wonderful Woman (Demo -2nd version) 3:20
18/ What Difference Does It Make? (Demo -2nd version) 3:22

THE SMITHS F#4 RADIO SESSIONS /1 //John Peel Show -BBC Radio One /UK -31.05.1983:
01/ Handsome Devil (BBC session) 2:45
02/ Reel Around The Fountain (BBC session) 5:51
03/ Miserable Lie (BBC session) 4:37
04/ What Difference Does It Make? (BBC session) 3:11 //David Jensen Show -BBC Radio One /UK -04.07.1983:
05/ These Things Take Time (BBC session) 2:33
06/ You've Got Everything Now (BBC session) 4:18
07/ Wonderful Woman (BBC session) 3:15
08/ Hand In Glove (Live in London -1983) 2:46 //David Jensen Show -BBC Radio One /UK -09.1983:
09/ Accept Yourself (BBC session) 4:02
10/ I Don't Owe You Anything (BBC session) 4:12
11/ Pretty Girls Make Graves (BBC session) 3:32
12/ Reel Around The Fountain (BBC session -2nd version) 6:04

THE SMITHS F#5 RADIO SESSIONS /2 //John Peel Show -BBC Radio One /UK -21.09.1983:
01/ This Charming Man (BBC session) 2:44
02/ Back To The Old House (BBC session) 3:02
03/ This Night Has Opened My Eyes (BBC session) 3:39
04/ Still Ill (BBC session) 3:34 //John Peel Show -BBC Radio One /UK -09.08.1984:
05/ William, It Was Really Nothing (BBC session) 2:04
06/ Nowhere Fast (BBC session) 2:41
07/ Rusholme Ruffians (BBC session) 4:07
08/ How Soon Is Now? (BBC session) 6:37 //John Peel Show -BBC Radio One /UK -17.12.1986:
09/ Is It Really So Strange? (BBC session) 3:04
10/ London (BBC session) 2:05
11/ Half A Person (BBC session) 3:29
12/ Sweet And Tender Hooligan (BBC session) 3:35 //Saturday Live -Radio One /UK -14.04.1984:
13/ I Don't Owe You Anything (Live w/ Sandie Shaw) 3:58
14/ Jeane (LIVE W/ Sandie Shaw) 3:06

---
THE SMITHS (F#10) AT THE BEEB // “The Smiths At The Beeb” /One hour special including sessions appearances, excerpts of past interviews of Morrissey, Marr as well as contributions by John Peel, David Jensen, John Porter and Scott Piering.

---
THE SMITHS F#6 TV SESSIONS //Y.E.S. 09.02.1984:
01/ What Difference Does It Make? (TV session) 2:48
02/ This Night Has Opened My Eyes (TV session) 3:19 //The Tube 16.03.1984:
03/ Hand in Glove (TV session) 2:47
04/ Still Ill (TV session) 3:36
05/ Barbarism Begins At Home (TV session) 6:36
06/ Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (TV session) 3:15 //Datarun 07.04.1984:
07/ Still Ill (Excerpt) 2:22
/ This Charming Man (Live -Acoustic version)
/ Hand In Glove (Excerpt) //Splat! 04.1984:
08/ Jeane (TV -Live w/ Sandie Shaw on vocals) 1:53 //Whistle Test 20.05.1986:
09/ Bigmouth Strikes Again (TV session) 3:28
10/ Vicar In A Tutu (TV session) 2:31 //Eurotube 05.07.1986:
11/ There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (TV session) 4:21
12/ Panic (TV session) 3:28 //The Tube 10.04.1987:
13/ Sheila Take A Bow (TV session) 2:42
14/ Shoplifters The World Unite (TV session) 3:22

THE SMITHS F#7 LIVE

01/ I Want A Boy For My Birthday* (Live excerpt -1982) 0:29
02/ Handsome Devil (Live in Manchester -1983) 2:56
03/ Wonderful Woman -aka What Do You See In Him? (Live in Manchester -1983) 3:13
04/ Hand In Glove (Live in London -1983) 2:46
05/ Girl Afraid (Live in Glasgow -1984) 2:53
06/ Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (Live in Dublin -1984) 2:22
07/ You've Got Everything Now (Live in Amsterdam -1984 /Radio Broadcast) 5:55
08/ William, It Was Really Nothing (Live in Oxford -1985 /RB) 2:15
09/ Nowhere Fast (Live in Oxford -1985 /RB) 2:31
10/ What She Said (Live in Oxford -1985 /RB) 2:36
11/ Stretch Out And Wait (Live in Oxford -1985 /RB) 2:55
12/ Shakespeare's Sister (Live in Oxford -1985 /RB) 2:13
13/ Meat Is Murder (Live in Oxford -1985 /RB) 5:38
14/ Miserable Lie (Live in Oxford -1985 /RB) 5:15
15/ Barbarism Begins At Home (Live w/ Pete Burns, London -1985) 8:23
16/ This Night Has Opened My Eyes (Live in London -12.12.1986) 3:34
17/ Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Live in London -1986) 5:02

THE SMITHS F#8 LIVE AT HOME
(OR MAYBE OTHER GOOD LATE SMITHS SHOW...) //Live at University Of Salford /Salford, UK -20.07.1986

THE SMITHS F#9 SOUNCHECKS
(OR MAYBE AN EARLY SMITHS SHOW, INSTEAD...)

Why would we put Bryan Ferry's "The Right Stuff" on a Smiths compilation...it's a completely different song...

As far as The Sandie Shaw songs, am I the only one who was utterly disappointed at WEA for attaching the Sandie Shaw versions on The There Is A Light single?? First of all they put Handsome Devil (Live) only on the casette and 7" versions, when there was and is still a lot more stuff that could have been placed on the CD instead of Sandie Shaw...for example the stuff that got put on the "cash-in" Sweet And Tender Hooligan single three years later...
Much as I like Sandie Shaws versions, they should have been placed on a Re-issue Sandie Shaw single, much as it was done originally...personally, I wouldn't want to have Sandie Shaw's version on a Smiths Box set, would be the same as putting Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness on a Morrissey box set...

Just my thoughts....

Can you clarify what you mean for disk #1
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, Shakespare's Sister and William, It Was Really Nothing are A-side singles...It seems you were trying to make a discs of B-sides there??? I have a disc of B-sides if anybody wants it uploaded...it's all the original b-sides that were not orginally album cuts...I don't think I put the Tate Version of Pretty Girls Make Graves cause I didn't have space on the CD, I put What's The World instead....Handsome Devil and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others live, but not Meat Is Murder (since it's on the Oxford show bootleg)....Any takers?

Oh no no it wasn't my idea. It was his:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/comme...eshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=246326

and i think that he "included" Bryan Ferry because Marr made a colaboration with him but i agree it shouldn't be here cause it's a Smith box set.

Actually, when I read the thread realized it wasn't you cause he made references to Salford being his hometown...

I can start with The B-sides...I have a disc in my car...I like that the live version of Handsome Devil ends with Morrissey introducing Jeane, which is coincidently the next b-side....

Actually, when I read the thread realized it wasn't you cause he made references to Salford being his hometown...

I can start with The B-sides...I have a disc in my car...I like that the live version of Handsome Devil ends with Morrissey introducing Jeane, which is coincidently the next b-side....

It was me that spoke of Salford being my University town, but it wasn't me who suggested Bryan Ferry. But it was me who suggested this morrisseysolo bootleg box set idea.

Crikey this could go on forever.....(in which case I'm doomed###)

I like everyones suggestions and I'd love to see them posted :

SNS22 please upload the b-sides!!! I've been meaning to transfer my vinyl to digital for ages but other things keep getting in the way. It would be great.

smorrissey - I think you are right about not including Bryan Ferry, in the same way that we shouldn't be including Freak Party, or The The, or Electronic. Interesting, but not on a smiths box set.

In terms of the missing songs from each album (mentioned in the first few posts), I wonder whether Morrissey has done them as a solo artist? Suffer little children / Well I wonder / Just haven't earned it / Rubber Ring / Sweet and tender hooligan / Unlovable / any anytihng from Strangeways Here we Come.

Hello Dave2006

There are already smiths bsides compilations (bootlegs i mean) nothing interesting and their quality less.

I would love the b-sides ripped from the original CD's at 320k, but it's a very difficult task in this forum.

I'd do it. but someone will chime in their two cents about "comercially avaliable material"...The lynch mob is already looking for an excuse to hang me

I'd do it. but someone will chime in their two cents about "comercially avaliable material"...The lynch mob is already looking for an excuse to hang me

yes i know, i really really hate "that mob" i understand about Morrissey but the smiths are totally different their singles ARE DELETED AND NOT AVAILABLE WORLD WIDE. I don't care about that mob. FU#$ them.:mad:

There are only two little exceptions. This Charming Man (the remixes) and Sweet and tender hooligan. That's all.

Last edited:
Any single that is more than 5 years old is USUALLY out of print...Any album that is more than 10 years old and doesn't sell a certain number of copies will go out of print as well...

I don't think any of The Smiths Albums or Morrissey's albums are out of print...however, Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted may soon be...

Any single that is more than 5 years old is USUALLY out of print...Any album that is more than 10 years old and doesn't sell a certain number of copies will go out of print as well...

I don't think any of The Smiths Albums or Morrissey's albums are out of print...however, Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted may soon be...

And ALL THE SMITHS SINGLES are OUT OF PRINT so.......

Do you know what i wish? to have the original ripps from the cd singles sources not bootlegs. (except the vynil singles of course like the italian how soon is know).

I think only 4-5 of the original singles were put on CD (not counting the REA reissues)

What Difference Does It Make? (Not sure if it was put on CD at all)
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
The Boy With A Thorn In His Side
Panic
Ask (Reissued in 1995)
Shelia Take A Bow (German)
Girlfriend In A Coma (Uncertain about this one as well, Stop Me Was released in Germany)
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

European (non-singles)
Headmaster Ritual*
Barbarism Begins At Home*

WEA (Re-issues)
This Charming Man
How Soon Is Now
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out*
Sweet And Tender Hooligan*

* Not an original single

The Draize Train is the only b-side that is difficult to find, since the geniuses at Warner didn't deem it necessary to place on any of the reissues..They even put Golden Lights (Which is on Louder Than Bombs) on the Reissue of World Won't Listen instead...Then Again, Handsome Devil was only placed on the 7" and Cassette re-issue of There Is A Light, which is another reissue to hate the folks at WEA

Have you checked this:
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-d.htm

I bet you did. There are least 20 songs (jeane, the queen is dead (edit)) available only in those singles.... it's a shame.

The bootlegs mp3 128 are very very poor quality.:(

and im going to be sincere i have them all but again some are lp sources and the hiss and the skips.....are unbearable for me.

Last edited:
Have you checked this:
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-d.htm

I bet you did. There are least 20 songs (jeane, the queen is dead (edit)) available only in those singles.... it's a shame.

The bootlegs mp3 128 are very very poor quality.:(

and im going to be sincere i have them all but again some are lp sources and the hiss and the skips.....are unbearable for me.

Actully, I did that based on memory.....I remember that the singles released on CD were practically also the only ones that were released in the US (but not on CD here)....

I have The WEA reissues of This Charming Man & There Is A Light..if you don't have those I can rip those for you at 320KBS or as FLAC...

I have the How Soon Is Now re-issue and personally I don't know what the point of a Queen Is Dead (edit) was...It should have been amongst "The Best" of the Smiths and not hidden on a single reissue...

It's not as "half-assed" as Morrissey's solo performances of The Queen Is Dead..most of them are not even 3 minutes long and he's skipping the end of the song...although I listened to the Filmore show and he did it there...

Then again even with The Smiths he only sang 1 of the "We can go for a walk..." lines...

Back
Top Bottom