"The Smiths and Morrissey On Track" by Tommy Gunnarsson out now (December 2021)

Out a few days ago:

SBPOT61 Smiths cover front.jpg

This instalment of the On Track series examines The Smiths' and Morrissey's vast back catalogue in detail, from the band's debut single 'Hand In Glove' in 1983 to Mozzer's vinyl single Cosmic Dancer in 2021 (which he recorded with David Bowie in 1991). Combining facts and trivia with personal views and memories, this is a rollercoaster ride through the highs and lows of Morrissey's long career, making it the perfect listening guide for both old fans and discoverers of his music for the very first time.

By Tommy Gunnarsson.

Apparently, it's up to date with releases.
Regards,
FWD.

I think it's a 160 page book. On Amazon UK for £16.50 which seems a bit steep to me.

I think it's a 160 page book. On Amazon UK for £16.50 which seems a bit steep to me.
How many songs have The Smiths & Morrissey released? Around 350? And they are all covered in a 160-page book? I hope Simon Goddard gets to update Mozipedia some time soon.

Gotta disagree with this guys assessment of Moz's musical career bein'
a roller coaster ride. More like a steady ascent that's still risin'.

Last edited:
What more can be said? anything new? I doubt it.

Now, the only book I’m interested in is Morrissey’s new book where he describes his writing process and it’s transformation over the years, with a song by song dissection and what each one means to him and where his head and heart were at the time of writing them.

Can we please have a book worth reading?

:cool:

+ £1.50 delivery to where I live = £16.50. £16.49 to be exact.
If you think it’s too expensive for you, then don’t buy it.

The author will be giving half that amount to Amazon anyway.

I want to know what happens with Morrissey.Everyone is doing things, this one who made a book, Johnny who already released 4 songs ... And Moz? By the time you're a Bonfire song,?. I would like Moz to write a book where he explained some of the lyrics of his songs with the band and soloist, as Ketam said.
As well as someone here in the solo published a song of Moz and asked us what we thought of it, I would like them to make a thread putting the themes with the interpretation of the lyrics, there are many interpretations of the songs of Moz, so I want Moz to write a book about it where we can know the true meaning of the songs told by Moz himself!!!! It would be fun because the truth is that the Solo is boring now!!!!!!

I want to know what happens with Morrissey.Everyone is doing things, this one who made a book, Johnny who already released 4 songs ... And Moz? By the time you're a Bonfire song,?. I would like Moz to write a book where he explained some of the lyrics of his songs with the band and soloist, as Ketam said.
As well as someone here in the solo published a song of Moz and asked us what we thought of it, I would like them to make a thread putting the themes with the interpretation of the lyrics, there are many interpretations of the songs of Moz, so I want Moz to write a book about it where we can know the true meaning of the songs told by Moz himself!!!! It would be fun because the truth is that the Solo is boring now!!!!!!
If Morrissey has to explain his lyrics, they wouldn't be very good lyrics.

If Morrissey has to explain his lyrics, they wouldn't be very good lyrics.
It has nothing to do with it. That Moz explains things of some letters, does not mean that they are bad,.
There are lyrics that I do not know if they refer to his private life or to third parties there are others that are understood others that can be interpreted in different ways, the latter I like but I would like Moz to tell his inspirations

It has nothing to do with it. That Moz explains things of some letters, does not mean that they are bad,.
There are lyrics that I do not know if they refer to his private life or to third parties there are others that are understood others that can be interpreted in different ways, the latter I like but I would like Moz to tell his inspirations
Well, if he did, he would ruin many lyrics. The point of many lyrics is their ambiguity: that they can be interpreted in many ways. Does one really need to know who Julie in Julie in the Weeds is? Besides, artists can be unreliable: they can lie or misunderstand their own work. Morrissey's own interpretation of any particular song is no more valid than your take on it.

Well, if he did, he would ruin many lyrics.
No, it would give the listener a new perspective on the songs and their own personal interpretation of them.
The point of many lyrics is their ambiguity: that they can be interpreted in many ways.
And so, there is nothing wrong with hearing another interpretation of the songs by the one that wrote them.
Does one really need to know who Julie in Julie in the Weeds is? Besides, artists can be unreliable: they can lie or misunderstand their own work.
Whose understanding of the work is more ‘correct’, the listeners or the artist that created the work?
Morrissey's own interpretation of any particular song is no more valid than your take on it.

Yes, but just like his Autobiography and his views about life (through song) his interpretation is why people are interested in him. It’s not really about validity or even what’s true or not.

Last edited:
Whose understanding of the work is more ‘correct’, the listeners or the artist that created the work?
In my opinion -- and that's the prevalent view in literary criticism as well -- is that both are as valid. Because we never know if the artist is totally honest when he says what the song is all about. Or if he is even totally aware what he has written about. Besides, I find it utterly irrelevant to know for example who Fatty was written about. Knowing the inspiration just makes the song even more banal than it already is.

What more can be said? anything new? I doubt it.

Now, the only book I’m interested in is Morrissey’s new book where he describes his writing process and it’s transformation over the years, with a song by song dissection and what each one means to him and where his head and heart were at the time of writing them.

Can we please have a book worth reading?

:cool:
Oh, Ket...that would be nothing short of fantastic.

A brief chat with the author:

FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom