"The Smiths And Morrissey Legacy Reissue Series" (April 2014, via Passions Just Like Mine)

Re: Article: "The Smiths And Morrissey Legacy Reissue Series" (April 2014, via Passions Just Like Mi

Why would he get banned for posting something on his own personal site?

I fail to see how you came to the conclusion that that was what he implied...

Re: Article: "The Smiths And Morrissey Legacy Reissue Series" (April 2014, via Passions Just Like Mi

Wow, what a cruel joke! It does make it handy if someone wanted to use it as a guide for there own "special editions", but admittedly my heart sank after some internet searching brought up this thread and I found out it's a hoax.

Booooo!

Re: Legacy Reissue Series

Everything listed exists. Perhaps in unfinished form, but it's out there. And there's so much more. So much more.

I thought that the scrapped Peel Session for "Viva Hate" was Suedehead, Disappointed, Margaret, and Sister? Wasn't that discussed here before? Or has everyone been wrong this whole time?

Just curious.
I'm also surprised to see that the Ivory Perry "Bengali" still exists. I would've thought whatever progress that was made would've been trashed the day-of.

You mean something like this?

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Unreleased

I could see how you might have missed it, though...it's only been there 2 years.

Honestly, I have been a near daily visitor to this site since it began (and contributor of original content a few times) and have never visited the wiki. I only really care for the main news feed and the tour section, but even if I had that is really only the unreleased material and not close to what Stephane had compiled.

just reeks of amateur hour bullshit on a site that was supposed to be professionally run...disgraceful

It's about time you asked. Who knows, people may be paying attention to your answers...

Stéphane

I would buy the 4 disc boxsets in vinyl and CD versions. I know, obsessive but...

While I am disappointed to read this is ultimately a hoax, it's nice to read what's out there. How much more can there possibly be???

An 'early April Fools'' what? Does such a thing actually exist?

Nice idea, should have gone with April 1st. Those are the 'rules'. You still would have fooled most people, even if only briefly.

Well Stephane, if you have a problem with stuff not happening then I suggest you speak to Morrissey, for he alone is the reason stuff like this doesn't happen.

Everything listed exists. Perhaps in unfinished form, but it's out there. And there's so much more. So much more.

This is simply not true. While most things do exist, a lot of the things you listed do not exist at all and others exist in title only. There is also not "so much more" as you stated. There might be a little more, but not in a large quantity.

This is simply not true. While most things do exist, a lot of the things you listed do not exist at all and others exist in title only. There is also not "so much more" as you stated. There might be a little more, but not in a large quantity.

That's because you're only considering the material in the hands of record labels. There are very good things in the hands of past producers and musicians... I understand this is less likely to get released at this stage, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This being said, I answered a bit too quickly earlier. There's about a handful of listed things that don't really exist. But not more than a handful.

Stéphane

So, maybe you can enlighten all of us: What does not exist or only in title????

That's because you're only considering the material in the hands of record labels. There are very good things in the hands of past producers and musicians... I understand this is less likely to get released at this stage, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This being said, I answered a bit too quickly earlier. There's about a handful of listed things that don't really exist. But not more than a handful.

Stéphane

I wasn't just considering things in the hands of record labels. I'm pretty knowledgeable in what's out there and what's not and I wouldn't want people to get their hopes up thinking there's some treasure trove out there when there isn't. Still, I think most of the truly unique things won't ever make it into the hands of record companies because of how poorly treated and organized Moz's past archives are. As an artist, he has never valued anything extending past the finished and polished official tracks... which is a true shame.

I'm not at liberty to say.

Stéphane

Oh man, I am laughing at the fact that you feel the need to sign off your own posts like there could be some confusion over who may be posting. You know what, you're a dickhead. f*** you.

Stephane, I found it really fun to think about. Thank you. There were tracks, such as the Amanda Malone session, that I'd completely forgotten about. I'm pretty sure you 'announced' a couple of versions there too, didn't you? Are the versions listed there a collation of everything mentioned in books, interviews etc, or are some the results of your direct conversations with the individuals involved?

In the past you mentioned you had the scrapped 2nd CD of Very Best, which has a lot of unreleased versions. Presumably Bill Inglot put them to one side when he went back to the tapes for remastering. You also mentioned you had a scrapped anniversary version of Queen is Dead which had some other unreleased versions, maybe taken during the Marr/Arkwright remasters. I'm wondering what proportion of these you have and whether you compiled this fantasy reissue as a set of titles or a set of tracks, if you see what I mean. It seems like you're alluding to the fact that Warners asked you put this together in order to ascertain whether a real legacy reissue was possible, yes? I wouldn't be surprised if you had a good proportion of those legacy CDs in full, although I'm fairly sure not all. The Drone demo? Surely some evade you.

I would buy these Smiths reissues in a second. I know that people buy Smiths recordings for different reasons but for me it's just about hearing the songs and collecting every version available. I don't care much for the same songs in a different configuration but I love hearing how songs evolve. If I had performed the same exercise as you I'd have included more of Grant's soundboard recordings. I believe they'd be superior to a lot of the live recordings you included. His recording of Some Girls in Brixton is testament to that. I wish Warners would just buy them for safekeeping.

It's been pretty quiet in Smiths land since the Pablo Cuckoo tape. Thanks for livening things up.

And in case there is anyone reading who has an influence in whether this gets released, I'd say this.

I often end up in conversation with people about The Smiths. In those conversations it's struck me that The Smiths are a band you don't fall out of love with. Of course, anyone who likes the band bought their six albums many years ago and however they're packaged, few fall for the same albums re-released. Conversely, when I tell them I have a trumpet version of Frankly, Mr Shankly, a wonderfully warm version of Please, Please, Please from an LA amphitheatre or a copy of the scrapped first album then they're begging me for a copy.

The Smiths remain an evergreen at Warners, I'm sure. I think if you timed and marketed a 'legacy' release correctly then you would see not only great sales of the reissue itself but a resurgence in the Smiths catalogue overall.

TL;DR, shut up and take my money.

Last edited:

That wasn't there before. No one would have posted this thread otherwise...

Honestly, I have been a near daily visitor to this site since it began (and contributor of original content a few times) and have never visited the wiki. I only really care for the main news feed and the tour section, but even if I had that is really only the unreleased material and not close to what Stephane had compiled.

OK, let's see what he's compiled...

Album tracks, singles & b-sides:
Morrissey - http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Category:Morrissey_Discography
The Smiths - http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Category:The_Smiths_Discography

Check.

Unreleased tracks:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Unreleased

Check.

Bootlegs, alternate cuts, radio sessions, TV performances, live Concerts:
Morrissey - http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Morrissey_Live
The Smiths - http://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/The_Smiths_Live

Check.

So, basically, you're saying you're just too lazy to click the mouse a few times...

Stéphane

I wasn't just considering things in the hands of record labels. I'm pretty knowledgeable in what's out there and what's not and I wouldn't want people to get their hopes up thinking there's some treasure trove out there when there isn't. Still, I think most of the truly unique things won't ever make it into the hands of record companies because of how poorly treated and organized Moz's past archives are. As an artist, he has never valued anything extending past the finished and polished official tracks... which is a true shame.

Stephane likes to pretend he knows a lot more than he does. Nothing new.

I'm not at liberty to say.

I don't mean to pry but why not ?

Because that is an easy way to out your identity, betray confidentiality & lose any future insider information that you may have received otherwise.

I made that mistake before with the Hollywood Bowl. I'll never do it again.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom