The Smiths album covers

Nicolle_Evans

As a great fan of the Smiths when I received the title 'An Analysis of how Design Communicates' I chose the Smiths' album covers chosing the question: What are the Smiths’ albums communicating about the band from the cover designs?

I would like it if you could reply with your thoughts and any links that could help me with this question so I can reference it within the essay. And if you know why Morrissey decided to design it the way he did, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks!!

The book peepholism, is the place to start. Written by the smiths art coordinator John slee it's the story of all the smiths and early Morrissey artwork. Unfortunately it's been deleted and second hand copy's bring a fortune. Luckily it has been posted here for download in PDF format.
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/116975-Peepholism?highlight=Peepholism

Also check out the site vulgarpicture.com for high res shots of all artworks.
Thanks to flax for both.

As a great fan of the Smiths when I received the title 'An Analysis of how Design Communicates' I chose the Smiths' album covers chosing the question: What are the Smiths’ albums communicating about the band from the cover designs?

I would like it if you could reply with your thoughts and any links that could help me with this question so I can reference it within the essay. And if you know why Morrissey decided to design it the way he did, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks!!

You're a college student, can't you figure it out for yourself instead of stealing other people's feelings, opinions, and knowledge?

You're a college student, can't you figure it out for yourself instead of stealing other people's feelings, opinions, and knowledge?

I already have my own opinions, however, my University tutor has pointed out that replying to other people's opinions would add another depth to my essay.

The book peepholism, is the place to start. Written by the smiths art coordinator John slee it's the story of all the smiths and early Morrissey artwork. Unfortunately it's been deleted and second hand copy's bring a fortune. Luckily it has been posted here for download in PDF format.
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/116975-Peepholism?highlight=Peepholism

Also check out the site vulgarpicture.com for high res shots of all artworks.
Thanks to flax for both.

Thankyou! Such an interesting book, might have to save up for a copy! :)

Thanks!!

The Smiths
I found it a little confusing at the time when I was getting interested in The Smiths - I'd heard them on John Peel and David Kid Jensen and heard Morrissey interviewed and seen them on TV, but I didn't quickly identify their album in Woolworth's - which is where I would seek records at their lowest price. I didn't buy Hand in Glove (it probably was never on the shelves in my town) and I never bought singles at full price anyway so I didn't buy This Charming Man either. I bought What Difference does it make? when it dropped out of the chart and was reduced in price - and it had a photo of Morrissey not Terrence on the cover. The design of The Smiths didn't have a picture of the band (eg like Blondie's Parallel Lines) - which would have maybe been helpful in identifying the LP. I seem to recall being a bit confused at the time by the omnipotence of Dexy's Midnight Runner's 'Searching for the Young Soul rebel' which even in 1984 seemed to be pretty prominent. I think maybe the similarity is the single colour wash of the 2 LP covers and the photo subject matter.

Back in the haties I bought cassette albums as I did not have a record player in my bedroom, and it was useful for copying stuff too. I remember reluctantly lending my copy of The Smiths to a friend at school to make a copy from and it came back in a different cassette case. The original case that mine came in was black with a thumb cut out unlike any other of my cassettes. I felt it had been defiled!

I think the use of graphics - computer-generated or otherwise in sleeve design and 'heraldry' was something that Morrissey was consciously rejecting. See the contemporary Simple Minds' Sparkle in the Rain and Big Country's 'The Crossing' would have been vying for my attention. Morrissey's choice of image was marvellously understated - not at all grandiose, mysterious because I did not understand why he'd chosen it rather than put the band on the cover,.... and rather sexual, risqué. For many years I had the sleeve of my cassette re-folded so that the picture of Johnny Marr showed rather than the proper cover, just in case someone in my family should question why there was a nipple showing.

I studied the image credit and looked-up details of Andy Warhol's 'Flesh' and actor Joe Dellesandro in film books in the local library. It was rather titillating for a 15 year-old. I understood that Morrissey was revealing an art world unknown to me in provincial England.

Hope this makes some sense and gives you something to work with.

Last edited:
It is possible to listen to and consider other people's views without stealing them. :rolleyes:

That would be like someone turning to you during a Math test and asking what you think the sum of 9x14 is...if you have an answer already, why bother asking someone else? It is obvious that either a better answer is being sought or other views are going to be lifted for paragraph filler.

Design communicates to different people in different ways. It's impossible to second-guess them so it's usually best to ask around if you're doing an analysis. Now if the question was "How does the design of the Smiths album communicate to you", then you'd be better not asking anyone else what they think. But that isn't the question.

BTW the product of 9x14 is 126! I've no idea what the sum of 9x14 is :)

Last edited:
Design communicates to different peole in different ways. It's impossible to second-guess them so it's usually best to ask around if you're doing an analysis. Now if the question was "How does the design of the Smiths album communicate to you", then you'd be better not asking anyone else what they think. But that isn't the question.

You're taking what the OP said at face value...I'm not because similar situations used to happen on here ALL the time.

BTW the product of 9x14 is 126! I've no idea what the sum of 9x14 is :)

Only Jesus and I know what the sum is...

I don't know why !Viva Hate! is being such an asshole. Isn't part of a paper doing research and finding out what different people think and coming to your own conclusion based on your findings?

He's just using us as a source no need to be a dick to the poor guy/girl.

because when writing at University it is quite common (not to mention academic rigour) to reference other authors to support your statements. These sources help to inform and shape the argument you are wanting to make in the essay.

As mentioned 'Peepholism' would be an essential source, as well as the recent book 'Morrissey: Fandoms, Representations and Identities' (particularly chapter 7). Matthew Bannister has also written about the Smiths album covers in his book "White Boys, White Noise" also the work of Stanley Hawkins might be helpful to your assignment.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom