Famous when dead

Vulgarian

3:59 (The Smiths)
4:18 (Jensen/Hatful)
4:19 (Troy Tate studio)
4:29 (Troy Tate outtake)
4:29 (Crazy Face rehearsal)

John D. Luerssen's The Smiths FAQ:

"Written in April 1983, this upbeat four-minute number originally clocked in at over six minutes. It was first recorded in June of that year, with former Mott the Hoople drummer/producer Dale Griffin, for the Smiths’ first Kid Jensen appearance.
Morrissey would later reveal on BBC2’s Oxford Road Show in 1985 that the lyrics were a look at his former classmates, many of whom had settled into well-paying jobs and had bought homes and cars at a time when he was still living at home with his mother and struggling to find his path in life.
During overdubbing and mixing sessions for the track at Eden in November ’83, John Porter brought in his friend, Roxy Music keyboardist Paul Carrack, to play Hammond organ on the song. At the time, Carrack was best known for his lead vocals on the respective Ace and Squeeze hits “How Long” (U.S. #3, 1974) and “Tempted” (U.K. #41, 1981)."

Goddard's Mozipedia:

"From the album The Smiths (1984). ‘It’s a throwback to when I was at school,’ explained Morrissey. ‘I was quite advanced at school and when I left it seemed that all these really oafish clods were making tremendous progress and had wonderfully large cars and lots of money. I seemed to be constantly waiting for a bus that never came. It seemed as though although I had the brains, I didn’t really have anything else.’
Addressing one ‘oafish clod’ in particular, ‘You’ve Got Everything Now’ was the first song where Morrissey mocked humdrum employment by stating he’d ‘never had a job’; give or take his few ‘brief spasms’ of work, this was more or less true. The song contained a couple of lines probably inspired by Shelagh Delaney – the opening Shakespeare quote, borrowed from A Taste Of Honey, and the modification of a passage in The Lion In Love, ‘Shall I tell you something? I don’t like your face.’ It’s also likely that a Bette Davis comment in the film
Mr Skeffington – ‘Although I’ve never really seen you smile I always have the feeling you’re laughing at me’ – was the basis of Morrissey’s similar lyric. Written in the spring of 1983, the song was originally slightly longer with an extra verse heightening the romantic friction between Morrissey and the song’s subject: ‘When you lost the will to go on, I gave you some,’ he sings, adding ‘You never really wanted the truth and so I never gave it you’ before beseeching them to ‘make your move’."

(I believe the Morrissey quote is via Kid Jensen interview/session: June/July, 1983 not Oxford '85 as listed 'elsewhere' and then copied by book writers).

Played ~86 times by The Smiths.
Never played live by Morrissey.

And with that, The Smiths A-Z ends.

Thank you to all those who posted the Morrissey & The Smiths entries.
Thank you to all those contributing to the discussion.
If there's any you've missed & really want to comment on that are now showing as archived (ie not allowing comments), message myself and it can be sorted.
Regards,
FWD.

A-Z tags for The Smiths:
A-Z tags for Morrissey:

I think this is pure Smiths .it pretty much set the scene for what to expect .
When I saw them play this live I sang my little f***ing heart out .

"And what a terrible mess I've made of my record deals."

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom