The Smiths A-Z: "Well I Wonder"

Simply off the charts with beauty and emotional intensity. Morrissey & Marr were amazing together - sometimes the collaborations ranged from very good to mind-blowingly amazing. I view this as up there at their creative zenith (not that they didn't do brilliant work to follow).

@Nikita well I wonder how well this would have done as a single ;). For singles - aren't you looking at not necessarily what's the best songs - but what would get the most airplay? On the TQID, "I Know It's Over" is one of the best songs... but probably an unlikely choice for a single. Who knows, it might have charted better than TJIFA.

Agreed Alan's version shows how well it could work in a live setting. I could see it as the last song before the encore or as the last song of the night.
I agree that the best song is not necessarily the best single, but from Meat is Murder, That Joke is the second worst choice possible, after MIM, whereas Well I Wonder is really a song I can imagine people humming after they hear it at the radio.

I agree that the best song is not necessarily the best single, but from Meat is Murder, That Joke is the second worst choice possible, after MIM, whereas Well I Wonder is really a song I can imagine people humming after they hear it at the radio.
Yeah, I tend to agree... WIW would have been a better single choice... even if you don't immediately think radio-friendly... it's that strong of a song.

Almost without question the greatest Smiths/Morrissey song of all time(in my opinion obviously). Like Scott Walker's masterpiece 'It's Raining Today', the song conjures up the twilight imagery of the broken-hearted gazing out the window of their solitary room, rivulets of rain reflecting tears, as they ponder if their lost love ever thinks about them.
Every strum of Johnny's guitar hits like a kiss, every word from Morrissey is a punch in the gut.
If you've never been in this frame of mind then you've never been in love.
This song broke my heart the first time I heard it, and if I play it tomorrow it'll break it all over again.
Maybe one day...one day...he'll play it live then we can all breathe again.

He hit me and it felt like a kiss?? Oh yeah!!

I love this song. It`s one of my favorite Smiths songs. It`s beautiful words and music. It`s just pure perfection. Nobody on earth can top this song. I just love it.

But that last word he cruelly utters.. NO!...
Is a subliminal retort to one only he knows, and is so stiff necked and heart breaking all summed up by those 2 letters.

Back
Top Bottom