The Smiths A-Z: "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
Top tier time.
Often considered the best of the best, today brings:

Living happily on albums and B-sides apart from:

hi_1987_thereisalight7_fr_1.jpg

hi_1987_thereisalight7_fr_3.jpg hi_1987_thereisalight7_fr_2.jpg

Above, the French TIALTNGO 7" - a highly sought after collectible - if you are lucky to find one and can afford it, this is a must-own for collectors.

Then 'reissued' in 2 parts as part of Best...II's promotion (1992):

hi_1992_thereisalightcd1_1.jpg
hi_1992_thereisalightcd2_1.jpg

(Sandie Shaw cover art on parts 1 & 2).

Double A-side live (2005):

R-431027-1462051001-4649.jpg

(Morrissey - Hollywood Forever Cemetery, CA.)

I could go find quote after quote about this track, but there's an overwhelming amount said & discussed regarding it over the years - what do you think?
I'd be surprised it it is anyone's least favourite.
Regards,
FWD.

Might just be the greatest song of all time.

The most beautiful love song of all time 🚚

supposedly this intro inspired Marr’s intro

picked up the French TIALTNGO 7" mint condition for a few bucks in the early 90’s, before the internet informed some record store owners of their value.

Last edited:
It really is the Smiths’ anthem, and The title caprures how we feel about this group so beautifully.
The light of the Smiths will always shine.

Last edited:
This is THE Smiths song. This song, too, will never go out. With lyrics perfectly expressing feelings of longing, regret, attraction, adolescent awkwardness and wanting more of one’s life, with an evocative, melodious guitar and a thumping bass which play off of each other perfectly, with an anthemic, powerful chorus which is nothing short of an earworm, this song is perfect. I will love this song ‘till the day I die.

I have one of the French copies, bought from a seller in the States. It was the most expensive 7" I ever brought until very recently. Love the song and love the artwork which is why I had to have a copy. I even have the artwork on a t-shirt

One of those songs which only Moz could write, and sing. Complete, and anthemic, perfection.
To die by your side, well, the pleasure, the privilege is mine. Amazing.

What is there to say but perfection on every level. That said, I wish the lyric "there is a light in your eyes and it never goes out" from the demo made it into the final version.

I think this song and HSIN are not just THE Smiths songs, but they are more Morrissey's songs. They really belong to him. I never thought of this song as a love song but a song about feeling like you don't belong anywhere and loving that one person who makes you feel like you do, not in love, but love. It's obviously more complicated than that and Morrissey has this unparalleled gift of being able to so succintly describe feelings in general but also feelings that are not only universal but extremely personal too. It's such a gorgeous song, but I think if they kept the 'there is a light in your eyes and it never goes out' part in, that is what would make this song perfect. Morrissey sings it so beautifully, almost in a whisper, it's really sublime - huge mistake to take it out, imo.

I've never really known how to articulate this (and still don't) but as great as this song obviously is, I've always thought the music is just a little too genteel, a little too pretty to do full justice to the emotion of Morrissey's lyric and vocal.

For me, the cover by Dum Dum Girls feels more thrilling, sometimes.

I've never really known how to articulate this (and still don't) but as great as this song obviously is, I've always thought the music is just a little too genteel, a little too pretty to do full justice to the emotion of Morrissey's lyric and vocal.

I know what you mean, BBoy. It just feels a bit too polished and polite.
Perhaps it would be better off without the flute and violin parts, beautiful though they are (especially the flute).

Edit - just listened to the Dum Dum version. Nice!
Really benefits from the fuzzy guitars and I like the harmomies, too.
Sounds like they kept in the flute part (but possibly played on a mandolin) and took off the strings...

Last edited:

for me it's just the opposite, I get delighted with this flute, the contrast of the soft instruments with the lyrics is what makes me love this song

I remember the first time I heard this song, I listened to it and didn't captivated me, but for some reason those vocals and that acoustic guitar stuck in my mind, a few weeks later I listened to the song again and i loved it, now it's my favorite song of my life.

Flawless and timeless, this is THE Smiths song.
The fact that he nearly left it off the album is so preposterous that it doesn't sound real.
This is what Morrissey and The Smiths will be remembered for.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom