The Smiths A-Z: "The Queen Is Dead"

BookishBoy

Next up in our Smiths A-Z project, and just in time for the start of the Jubilee weekend in the UK, is this song, the title and lead-off track from The Queen Is Dead album, released in 1986. The song was also released as a single in June 2017, when it reached #85 in the UK singles chart.

The song was performed live 39 times by the Smiths, while it has been played live 114 times by Morrissey.

What do we think?

The trolls are dead, boys. It's so lonely on a limb.

Johnny, on the song's musical DNA:

I had The Queen Is Dead, the track, in my mind for a long time. I knew the song had the title, and I knew that was what the album was going to be called. To me, it was the MC5 playing 'I Can't Stand It' [by the Velvet Underground]. I'd always felt let down by the MC5. When I was younger, people were going 'Oh, the Dolls, the MC5, the Stooges' -but when I first heard the MC5, it felt a little too gung-ho, too kind of testosterone-mad for me. I wanted to deliver what I imagined the MC5 to be - energy, coolness.

Without doubt one of their finest songs.
They should have been braver tho, and released this as the lead single, with There is a light as the second single, with Big mouth as the third and final one.
Far to many great lyrics to mention here, so I won’t.
This song is best played loudly and I much prefer the studio version when I do so.

This is one of my fav Moz lyrics...
So I broke into the Palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner
She said, "I know, and you cannot sing"
I said, "That's nothing, you should hear me play piano"

Last edited:
The 'Rank' version still rocks my miserable little world. Andy's bass line...my goodness!

Mind, I wouldn't be too fussed if I never saw the Jarman film again.

Am I the only person round these parts who's never much liked this song?
I can certainly appreciate it - the energy, the pace, the musicianship, the words etc., but I just don't enjoy it much.
And Morrissey's singing melody is pretty flipping basic - it's virtually just three notes all the way through.
Sorry.

Last edited:
I had a very memorable handshake with him during TQID . Eh memories 🤗
One of the greatest and most important "opener" in the music history .

Without doubt the best song ever written by Morrissey & Marr which is definitely saying something. Totally brilliant, I simply love it.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom