The Smiths A-Z: "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others"

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
13092022-0003.jpg

R-2071744-1262374106.jpg

13092022-0004.jpg

R-2071744-1262374181.jpg

With possible musical roots in early 1985, next up we have Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.
Released as a German-only single (Zensor/TELDEC).
Cover star: Yootha Joyce as "Nan" in Catch Us If You Can (US: Having A Wild Weekend), 1965 by John Boorman.

Although "produced by Morrissey and Marr", it is Street providing the handiwork with regards to the fade in/out & ending.

The matrix messages are quite oblique:
7"
"Rock and Rolling to the Top"
"PRECISE DIAMOND"

12"
"NOH GIRL LIKE JAGUAR ROSE"
"BUSY TRAIN TO THE LOKOMOTION"

Just for clarity, there is no scene in Carry On Cleo that features crates of ale. Sid & Amanda have no alcohol scenes (unless you count love-potions) - nice imagery though.
Played once live by The Smiths at Brixton, '86 and 42 times by Morrissey thereafter (all in 2009).
Love it, loath it?
Either way:
"You have incredibly good taste..."
FWD.

(Yootha images by David Austen via Robin Baker/Twitter).

A fine piece of music from Johnny with some rather nonsensical Morrissey lyrics. I don't actually mind that here, but I can understand why Johnny and some fans have an issue with them.

I also think that, as fine an album as The Queen is Dead is, you do see a few warning signs of some of Morrissey's future excesses. The comedy is broader here than on any previous album, and it isn't a giant leap from a song like this to the later gibberish of You're the One for Me, Fatty.

Not meant to be remotely definitive, of course, but this song ranked 38th from 73 Smiths songs in the poll on this site and 33rd from 73 songs on the Hoffman board.

A fine piece of music from Johnny with some rather nonsensical Morrissey lyrics. I don't actually mind that here, but I can understand why Johnny and some fans have an issue with them.

I also think that, as fine an album as The Queen is Dead is, you do see a few warning signs of some of Morrissey's future excesses. The comedy is broader here than on any previous album, and it isn't a giant leap from a song like this to the later gibberish of You're the One for Me, Fatty.

Not meant to be remotely definitive, of course, but this song ranked 38th from 73 Smiths songs in the poll on this site and 33rd from 73 songs on the Hoffman board.
I don't think that is true. Nobody made these comments about Some girls until Johnny made his bitchy little remark - which is a bit shit when you listen to his shitty lyrics

M managed to make a very English high camp song and than in one beat deliver one line so beautifully song it melts the heart .
The "send me the pillow ..and I'll send you mine "
One (yes I know he nicked it )

I think it's a brilliant song .

I don't think that is true. Nobody made these comments about Some girls until Johnny made his bitchy little remark - which is a bit shit when you listen to his shitty lyrics

M managed to make a very English high camp song and than in one beat deliver one line so beautifully song it melts the heart .

What bitchy little remark was that? There was just a video clip on this forum where Johnny said he was fine with the lyrics, although the interviewer was trying to bait him into saying something negative.

Absolutely adore this song and could never tire of it.

I remember so vividly them playing it at that Brixton show and it was spellbinding, just that combination of Johnny's beautiful guitar and Morrissey's wonderfully silly (then moving) lyrics - it shouldn't work, but it does. It was like time froze for 5 minutes.

Err...yes, they did.

And really, I don't think anyone can dispute that the comedy on The Queen is Dead is broader than on any previous album. That's always been noted since it was released, even by people who loved that element of the album.

It is interesting that with the absence of Craig Gannon from this final performance, the song is played in a stripped-down form reminiscent of the earliest compositions of the band. It is so special to listen to.
Yes, exactly! It felt like that on the night. As much as I'd loved the beefed up Gannon live sound, to see the four of them again like that - especially on this song and "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" - it just felt more intimate.

I can't believe Dirk is getting me to defend Johnny. I did see him interviewed about this song and he said he supported M's work when they were in the Smiths and he likes this song. He plays it sometimes.
I really like the song, I think M's very dry wit goes over people's heads sometimes. The music is indeed very beautiful.

Just for clarity, there is no scene in Carry On Cleo that features crates of ale. Sid & Amanda have no alcohol scenes (unless you count love-potions) - nice imagery though.
Was it ever actually confirmed by Moz that this line was supposed to be a 'Carry On Cleo' reference - or is this just one of those journo/fan suppositions that has turned into fact by decades of repetition? :unsure:

It was completely the other way around. Journalists said it, Johnny laughed but ultimately defended Moz. "He was my best mate and I thought everything my best mate did was great."

This is the Johnny I sorely, sorely miss. Look how John reacts - he didn't get the answer he expected at all. This guy absolutely despises Moz, so it will have been a bitter pill to swallow.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom