The Smiths A-Z: "Rubber Ring"

BookishBoy

Next up in our Smiths A-Z project is this song, originally a B-side on the "The Boy with the Thorn in His Side" single in September 1985, and subsequently included on Rank as well as The World Won't Listen and Louder Than Bombs compilations.

What do we think?

One of their oddest songs to be honest. I have despised, then loved this song for many a year and I’m still none the wiser now. This song plays havoc with my thinking.
Some parts are great and others not so great, like all the la la bits but then I love what sounds like a deep double bass being menacing all the way through.

An absolutely brilliant lyric and some great singing, but an interesting rather than truly inspired piece of music from Mr John Martin Maher.

Only Morrissey would use Sir John Gielgud/Wilde & Konstantin Raudive at the end of a song.
Very bizarre, but it works beautifully.
Agree re: 12" version.
Regards,
FWD.

I may be alone on this planet in my belief that this is the greatest song in the history of pop music, but I can live with that.

A song about the power of music, about the fickle nature of fandom, written by a singer who knew all along that many of his fans would desert him due to his own stubborn outsider-ness: Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly.

I still do, despite everything.

Only Morrissey would use Sir John Gielgud/Wilde & Konstantin Raudive at the end of a song.
Very bizarre, but it works beautifully.

Oasis stole it for some of their live performances in the aughts. I think they looped it to accompany a wash of feedback at the end of Rock n Roll Star, and somehow it worked.

It's utterly mad, which is fab.

What does the title refer to though - is a rubber ring one of those inflatable circular cushions for gentlemen with piles? 🤔

I may be alone on this planet in my belief that this is the greatest song in the history of pop music, but I can live with that.

A song about the power of music, about the fickle nature of fandom, written by a singer who knew all along that many of his fans would desert him due to his own stubborn outsider-ness: Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly.

In some respects, not too dissimilar to "the teenagers who love you, they will wake up, yawn and kill you" (You Know I Couldn’t Last).

And I always felt it could be a combination of both, that it’s sung from his perspective of not holding so dear to those that once were so important to him as a teen, and moving on and feeling guilty for that himself.

Indeed. It's very self-aware. 'Now I Am A Was' makes a nice (if slightly depressing) counterpart in a similar vein.

After all the years, hearing Morrissey’s singing voice still makes me smile or cry (dépend ing on which song).
I won’t forget these songs because they made my life so much better.

Honestly, I think this sentence should be engraved on his tombstone.
Le too.

There is nothing better in life than when I choose to play the smiths or Mozz .
Once I’ve made that choice, it’s all party time, even if it’s 07.30 in my car going to work.
Still a truly thrilling experience to this day .
VIVA BLACKPOOL 🥳🥳

Indeed. It's very self-aware. 'Now I Am A Was' makes a nice (if slightly depressing) counterpart in a similar vein.
I'd add "You Know I Couldn't Last" to that list, too.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom