The Smiths A-Z: "Rubber Ring"

I was saying the other day why Reel Around, Queen Is Dean , Suffer Little Children, Well I Wonder are my fave songs by anyone anywhere.
I forgot this one.
Basically, I dont have a fave Smiths song. I just have some I prefer more often than others.
I loved this one. Its a look into the mind of someone, somewhere who understands fandom, the lifeline art can bring.
Of course, he also knows how fickle people are.
His vocal is lovely on this

Another fine song and one that very few groups would relegate to b-side status. I can't say that it would ever make my top ten personal faves, but Morrissey and Johnny were really firing on all cylinders at this point.

Just to show other viewpoints and not because they should be considered in any way definitive...

In the poll on this board this song ranked 12th from 73 of the group's songs.
In the poll on the Hoffman board this song ranked 28th from 73 of the group's songs.

I may be alone on this planet in my belief that this is the greatest song in the history of pop music, but I can live with that.

A song about the power of music, about the fickle nature of fandom, written by a singer who knew all along that many of his fans would desert him due to his own stubborn outsider-ness: Hear my voice in your head and think of me kindly.

I still do, despite everything.
Holding the torch for right-wing racism isn't being an outsider.

I really love, Rubber Ring….although it often frustrated me in the early days when I loved a song but didn’t understand the title (until years later and books would be published).
I think the production is stellar, and one of those instances where Morrissey and Marr are Morrissey/Marr.
I’ll reiterate STUX, great drumming by Joyce.
As as side note, I love to listen to this song in the car with my kids, and I always notice, when the end of the song comes, and the person (credit to FWD, didn’t know who it was) says ‘you are sleeping, you do not want to believe….’….my kids always get quiet and I see their little minds turning and trying to figure out what the heck that means.

Be safe and healthy all….

Was the part “you are sleeping, you do not want to believe” something unusual in the 80s? Was a mastering (or how does it called🤷‍♀️) of the song phenomenal for the 80s?

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom