The Smiths A-Z: "Money Changes Everything"

BookishBoy

Next up in our Smiths A-Z project is this instrumental track, first released as a B-side on the "Bigmouth Strikes Again" single in 1986 and subsequently included on The World Won't Listen compilation. The track was then adapted into the Bryan Ferry song "The Right Stuff" - released as the first single from his 1987 album Bête Noire and reaching #37 on the UK singles chart.

The song was played live 18 times by the Smiths but (and you won't believe this) has never been performed by Morrissey.

What do we think?

Proof that Morrissey was the best thing about The Smiths. Without him they’re nothing. Always skip or delete the instrumentals.

Not a particularly good or interesting instrumental somehow made even worse by Bryan Ferry.

I think it's the least interesting of the three instrumentals and I also can't see any value in the Bryan Ferry version.

The Smiths recording might have made for a reasonable backng track had Morrissey added a worthwhile vocal melody. As it is, though, it feels rather dull and repetitive.

Just to show other viewpoints and not because they should be considered in any way definitive...

In the poll on this board this song ranked 70th from 73 of the group's songs.
In the poll on the Hoffman board this song ranked 65th from 73 of the group's songs.

Given the lyrics for this were written by Ferry in mid '86 and the band saw him go off working on said collaboration, developing a relationship with Pratt & working with Bragg circa the same time - it all does seem like foreshadowing rather than 'happy little accidents' (despite the rest of the band appearing positive about it).
Personally, seeing him in the background of the Ferry video in '87 tainted my view of him at a very raw time for fans.
Regards,
FWD.

I actually like this one, The Draize Train being my least favorite of the 3.

Until now, I always wondered why Morrissey gave this instrumental this title, he must of had a crystal ball

Yep, Money changes everything…. even one’s principles

Profiting off animal slaughter

"When the Bryan Ferry single finally emerges, Johnny is there in the video looking lost, minus only a pair of slaves’ sandals, and he is evidently only important for the gifts that he brings to the sherry-fed Ferry, who stumbles up to the spotlight as if direct from a pink-gin all-nighter at Redcliffe Square. Johnny, I hardly knew ye." (Moz Autobiog)

I actually like this one, The Draize Train being my least favorite of the 3.

Until now, I always wondered why Morrissey gave this instrumental this title, he must of had a crystal ball

Yep, Money changes everything…. even one’s principles

Profiting off animal slaughter

I love that Bryan Ferry collaboration!

Also, why are you advertising Johnny's shoes? The Sand pair look really nice.

I listen to this maybe 3 times a year and think it is brilliant...I suspect I'd change my mind if I listened to it any more often.

I forgot about the song being used by Brian Ferry. But the fact that the tune had actually been given or sold to someone else - presumably because Morrissey didn’t like it enough - just makes me wonder why it was used as a B-side.

It was the first of 3 instrumentals in a row, and I remember not being overly excited about that direction at the time. I felt the same about them doing covers. Nothing could beat a Morrissey / Marr composition, and everything else felt redundant.

I agree with FWD that this track is tainted by the first signs that some things weren’t well in Smiths camp. It doesn’t bring me any joy.

Oscillate Wildly > The Draize Train > Money Changes Everything.

Having not listened to it in several years, it's chastening how much the basic rhythm track is a pale descendant of How Soon Is Now. The jangly filigrees at 2:46 add some life but not much.

I was watching The Strange Woman on YouTube last night. It's a Hedy Lamarr movie from 1946 and about twenty minutes in she says 'Oh, money changes everything'. I'm not sure if Morrissey ever saw it but I imagine this was the sort of black-and-white film that could be seen on British TV when he was young. I think I'm right in saying that the title was Morrissey's contribution to the track.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom