The Smiths A-Z: "Meat Is Murder"

Never liked this song, way too preachy. I actually skipped a show when I found out he was playing that animal video in the background to this. I go to be entertained. I gave my tickets away.
Vegetarians, like atheists, are absolutely obnoxious when they start preaching.

I agree with the others that it was a very bold statement in 1985. Other bands were doing drugs, and here comes a band preaching about a meatless diet. It couldn’t be anything else than a very intense song.

I don’t like the way it has evolved over time in Morrissey’s live concerts though. Don’t care for the PETA slogans replacing the original lyrics. and the music is just atrocious. It’s probably meant to reflect the cruelty of the abattoir , but extremely hard to listen to.

Murder - 'The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.'

So Meat isn't Murder, but this tune is.

“Bring me the head of Elton John . . . which is one instance in which meat would not be murder, if it were served on a plate.”

:p

“Bring me the head of Elton John . . . which is one instance in which meat would not be murder, if it were served on a plate.”

:p
He's so witty and funny and everything he does is beyond reproach.

And were he ever to meet Elton, he'd be delightful towards him because raging hypocrisy is also a strong suit of his.

At a lot of the Morrissey live shows, this song tended to be pretty blunt and bludgeoning - both musically and in terms of lyrical/video message. Stumbling across this video of the original song with the vocals stripped out was a pleasant reminder of how musically solid it is. As an instrumental it's almost cheery at times with that piano riff, but there's also a nice sense of uneasiness as well. I dunno - I'd grown a bit tired of this song, but hearing it in this fashion without the explicit political message made me appreciate it all over again.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom