The Smiths A-Z: "London"

I heard lots of people say the gig was shit and heard people moan about "the kind of people" that now went to M concerts
Lots of people did bitch like little school girls about M doing the gig, in the time of disease, even though LOADS of other events were on.
I was in Ireland at the time and couldn't go and didn't much care that I missed it

Once I listened to the bootleg of the gig I instantly regretted missing it, I was sick with envy. M was on rude form

To all those in the UK who get sad cause, M makes bank in the USA. Don't worry, his shows, especially LA shows, are rarely as good as they are in London or Machester or Reading etc.

:rofl::laughing::crazy:

I heard lots of people say the gig was shit and heard people moan about "the kind of people" that now went to M concerts
Lots of people did bitch like little school girls about M doing the gig, in the time of disease, even though LOADS of other events were on.
I was in Ireland at the time and couldn't go and didn't much care that I missed it

Once I listened to the bootleg of the gig I instantly regretted missing it, I was sick with envy. M was on rude form
To all those in the UK who get sad cause, M makes bank in the USA. Don't worry, his shows, especially LA shows, are rarely as good as they are in London or Machester or Reading etc.

The song is attack and the lyrics are grand.
So you sad people get better shows than we do? :lbf:

Morrissey's a rebel. He makes up his own rules. He doesn't follow anybody else's rules. Not even his own.

What type of people go to these concerts?

I particularly like the seldom heard Peel Session version of this one, although the Youtube recording sounds a bit fuzzy.

Seemingly another in the long line of Billy Liar songs, as another poster mentioned, and possibly the rockiest thing the group ever recorded. Not really surprising that it would be one of the first Smiths songs that Morrissey would add to his live shows back in 1995, as he was trying to cultivate a tough guy image at the time.

Just to show other viewpoints and not because they should be considered in any way definitive...

In the poll on this board this song ranked 54th from 73 of the group's songs.
In the poll on the Hoffman board this song ranked 34th from 73 of the group's songs.

It's by far my favorite Smiths song. No question. And it sums up everything they were about in a minute and a half: namedropping British geography, critical self-doubt, defiance, feeling disenfranchised from your parents, escape from dead relationships in search of adventure, dashed hopes, new hopes.

A classic, classic song. God it's beautiful.
Thank you for saving me the need to write a review.

It’s a song that has grown on me over the years. Some excellent and powerful drumming from Mike.
And it deserves a bonus point for having a young M dance to it.

Is the A-Z series on hiatus? Haven't seen a new post in a while...

Is that why you’re going to one of the Vegas shows? Because you want to be disappointed? :lbf:

Yes, sorry, my fault, have been slowed down by Covid and work stuff. Going away for a few days now but will be back on it after that!

Next up: "Meat Is Murder"...
Whoa, don't forget about "A Matter of Opinion"!

Yes, sorry, my fault, have been slowed down by Covid and work stuff. Going away for a few days now but will be back on it after that!

Next up: "Meat Is Murder"...
Take the time you need, we are not in a terrible rush to finish Smiths A to Z thread.
Looking forward to MIM though.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom