The Smiths A-Z: "Jeane"

BookishBoy

Our next track in the Smiths A-Z project is this song, released as a B-side on the "This Charming Man" single in October 1983 and then covered by Sandie Shaw the following year.

The song was played live by the Smiths 29 times, but has never been played live by Morrissey.

What do we think?

I personally think this is an underrated song and I prefer it to some of the tracks that made the debut LP. It's very different to a lot of the group's recordings and, I must admit, Mike's drums could maybe have had a bit more variety or subtlety.

One of the lyrics seems to have been heard in a million different ways, but when Sandie Shaw recorded it, she definitely sang, "But you still have that reedy grace." The arrangement for her version, I kind of prefer:

Just to show other viewpoints and not because they should be considered in any way definitive...

In the poll on this board this song ranked 52nd from 73 of the group's songs.
In the poll on the Hoffman board this song ranked 64th from 73 of the group's songs.

I would love Moz to re-record this. Great lyrics but his early voice was just so flat, so out of tune, it’s painful to listen to. The music is very 'basic' for the Smiths as well.

One of the my favourite Smiths/Moz b sides. Personally, I really like the imperfection of the vocals and the simplicity of the music. There's a raw, innocent charm to it that epitomises early Smiths.

At the time ('84 for myself), it was very well received live.
I bought Bragg's Greetings To The New Brunette in '86 as it was beyond Smiths-related and it included Jeane (Kirsty MacColl, John Porter, Marr playing on title track, Jeane). That, too, was well received by fans round my way and seen as a compliment.
Not sure what would have happened to it had the Tate version not been used.
Regards,
FWD.

I love the way that this song just bursts into life as soon as it starts.
It’s full of energy and doesn’t ease up.
Interesting lyrics as usual and the way I hear them is that poor olde Jeane is for the chop as the Narrator
Fancies a bit of cock .

Never used to give this one much attention and then lately it became one of my
favorite Smiths songs.
I like how it builds up to that "cash on the nail" part, except I always thought
Moz was singin' "catch on the nail".

Last edited:
I would love Moz to re-record this. Great lyrics but his early voice was just so flat, so out of tune, it’s painful to listen to. The music is very 'basic' for the Smiths as well.
Do you not think that adds to it?

I think the sing is great, as is It was the voice of a kid, untrained, walking up to the mic and letting out
To me it reeks of Bedsit UK and Im not sure the velvet voice of a wealthy older man would add to that
The I know wha you mean and his voice is way way better now

Do you not think that adds to it?

I think the sing is great, as is It was the voice of a kid, untrained, walking up to the mic and letting out
To me it reeks of Bedsit UK and Im not sure the velvet voice of a wealthy older man would add to that
The I know wha you mean and his voice is way way better now
On some songs, yeah, but not this one. It's the tone of his voice on "But I look in your eyes and I know that it isn't there / We tried and we failed, we tried...". I actually find it unlistenable, I can't bear it.

Surprised he never threw this into his solo set, a short little rocker to liven up the set. Maybe he simply can’t relate to it, or much less so than the other Smiths songs he’s
done.

The would suit a punk rock version by his solo band much better than This Charming Man.

It always makes me do my terrible Moz impression when it comes on in the car. I really like it and always have...if only because it is the only Smiths song I can have a decent stab at playing on guitar...Marr got way too complex for me after this.

On some songs, yeah, but not this one. It's the tone of his voice on "But I look in your eyes and I know that it isn't there / We tried and we failed, we tried...". I actually find it unlistenable, I can't bear it.

On some songs, yeah, but not this one. It's the tone of his voice on "But I look in your eyes and I know that it isn't there / We tried and we failed, we tried...". I actually find it unlistenable, I can't bear it.each ot

Well, I disagree.
Im not arguing though, each to their own, whatever floats your boat, we all sail our own ship , we all paddle our own canoe
For me, I think he would do a good job if he sang it live now and I can see why most may prefer that
I just like it as it is, same with Womderful Woman, I am not ashamed to say, those songs still mean so much to me.

But " we appericate your feedback"

I have always really liked this song. I wish it had made the official debut. It's driven, basic, to the point, and extremely catchy. I really enjoy it.

I remember reading Les Inrockuptibles’ review of This Charming Man single reissue in 1992 and becoming mad when I realized I will discover two new Smiths songs, Jeane and Wonderful Woman.

Actually, I discovered three as I has never heard the original/single version of TCM, only the peel session on Hatful of Hollow, which remains my favorite.

The review of Jeane was dithyrambic and I remember being very disappointed when I heard it, thinking « there was a reason why it did not surface for all these years ».

I really like it now, more than Wonderful Woman that I appreciated immediately, mostly for lyrics as it is not Marr’s best effort.

Mozzer's voice is rough, but I love the way it cracks at the end: "But I think you know. I really think you kno0o-ha-ho-oo-oo..."

V different vibes on the recordings, but sometimes think this was the Smiths' answer to the Stones' "Angie" - similar situation, tho with more emphasis on ignoble failure.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom