The Smiths A-Z: "I Won't Share You"

BookishBoy

Next up in our Smiths A-Z project is this, the last song on the Strangeways Here We Come album of 1987.

The song was never played live by the Smiths but was unexpectedly resurrected by Morrissey at three North American shows in 2019.

What do we think?

My goodness...one of the most beautiful and tender songs every written. TEFM says the "ultimate goodbye song" and I wholeheartedly agree. What makes it even more perfect is the "Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?" line...even whilst saying farewell Moz adds a hilarious little bon mot. Just wonderful.

thank god for that dusty old autoharp that was lying around unused at the studio for years that Johnny tuned up and suddenly from it, this song magically emerged.

Street cried the first time he heard it, and they realized later that it’s actually the same chords as Ask, but slowed down. To paraphrase from Simon Goddard’s ‘Songs that Saved...’

Johnny, on the song's "meaning":

"I just heard a really lovely tune first off. I was happy that we had another unusual little 'star in our galaxy' or whatever. That's what it was like, this other little thing that just beamed down. The lyrics were brought to my attention by somebody, even before we got out of the studio. There were raised eyebrows and, 'Whadya think of that then?'. But it was all in a day's work for me really, still is. If I was bothered by it I'd say, 'Well I ain't anyone's to f***ing share, me" but that's really the truth. If, in fact, that sentiment was directed towards me then quite rightly I feel quite good about it. It's nice. It's okay. I'm not arsed about it."

"The lyrics were brought to my attention by somebody, even before we got out of the studio. There were raised eyebrows and, 'Whadya think of that then?'.

But it was all in a day's work for me really, still is. If I was bothered by it I'd say, 'Well I ain't anyone's to f***ing share, me" but that's really the truth. If, in fact, that sentiment was directed towards me then quite rightly I feel quite good about it. It's nice. It's okay. I'm not arsed about it."

Strange that there were people around Johnny ready to tell him this song was about him. I wonder how often that happened after Morrissey would lay down a vocal for each new song.

It happened in the studio, so was everyone vying for Morrissey’s attention? Was it out of jealousy that others were pointing out to Marr that they think this song was about him?

Last edited:
Anyone get a su-su-su-su-su-suuu-sugar town vibe from the main chord prog? Only more minor-sounding. Burnt sugar, maybe?

Last edited:
I adore it. I cried when I heard it in NY in 2019. I never understood what he sang at the end though ("I want the freedom and ... ?).

Strange that there were people around Johnny ready to tell him this song was about him. I wonder how often that happened after Morrissey would lay down a vocal for each new song.

It happened in the studio, so was everyone vying for Morrissey’s attention? Was it out of jealousy that others were pointing out to Marr that they think this song was about him?

Someone who interviewed the Severed Alliance writer Johnny Rogan said that Mike and Andy used to tease Johnny about Morrissey's lyrics.

EEvONj7XUAgYUBh

I recalled seeing this photo (18th September 2019) of Chrissie and Johnny backstage at The Roundhouse in London when Morrissey sang I won't Share You on tour in October 2019. I wouldn't like to say that there's a connection though!

I have strangeways in the car and play it loud at the mo. But I’m afraid that this song does nothing for me and never has.
I don’t think it’s a bad song as it does have a certain charm to it.

EEvONj7XUAgYUBh

I recalled seeing this photo (18th September 2019) of Chrissie and Johnny backstage at The Roundhouse in London when Morrissey sang I won't Share You on tour in October 2019. I wouldn't like to say that there's a connection though!

there it is.😼

6o fing years old with a stupid :bird: tat
on his neck:horny:

6o yrs old, the twat. but WAIT:hand:
all the teenagers wear a dumb :bird:
tat on the neck:rabbitface:

ITS COOL IM COOL🌊
(very embarrassing)

what shanda‼️

:hammer:

Absolutely perfect. A beautiful, gentle, almost eerie song that never ages - Moz saying goodbye.

The note I wrote
As she read, she said

... "This is not a rant or an hysterical bombast..."

"I just heard a really lovely tune first off. I was happy that we had another unusual little 'star in our galaxy' or whatever. That's what it was like, this other little thing that just beamed down. The lyrics were brought to my attention by somebody, even before we got out of the studio. There were raised eyebrows and, 'Whadya think of that then?'. But it was all in a day's work for me really, still is. If I was bothered by it I'd say, 'Well I ain't anyone's to f***ing share, me" but that's really the truth. If, in fact, that sentiment was directed towards me then quite rightly I feel quite good about it. It's nice. It's okay. I'm not arsed about it."
He really does come out with some evasive, laddish twaddle when he wants to.
Beautiful song, extremely sad and revealing sentiment about losing someone you love, and he says "I'm not arsed about it."
Poor Moz, f***ing hell.

Last edited:

While I'm mixed on Strangeways, I adore this one. If it is about Johnny then it's Morrissey baring his heart and soul, trying to hold onto something he knows is fleeting. While they've said the Strangways sessions were an overall nice experience, it's obvious the tension had been building. I wonder if Morrissey taking so long to play it solo is an indication of how personal it is to him?

Last edited:
The song is nice but I prefer many other songs, but the value is elvado by the story around the lyrics, which Moz supposedly wrote for Don Johnny. How far does reality or fantasy go with the story of the two? Does anyone know

We all know it's about Morrissey's unrequited love for Mike Joyce, really. :p

I adore it. I cried when I heard it in NY in 2019. I never understood what he sang at the end though ("I want the freedom and ... ?).
I want the freedom and the guile

I feel like I've never quite understood the line.

Last edited:
Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom