The Smiths A-Z: "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish"

I like that Morrissey in this song, as well as ‘A Rush….’ started to really incorporate his iconic (growling…is that the right word?) that had started to become more prevalent in The Smiths live music, into the studio. That’s what stood out to me when I first heard this song.

Overall, the song is a little ho-hum to me, but one that I usually don’t skip on the playlist.

Be well and safe, all…

One of those Smiths songs that I like, but have never felt any real love for. It sounds great, Morrissey's singing is great, the lyrics are kind of interesting but as a whole piece I just don't quite...get it? (Maybe just me.)

I love this one. I like how the situation here contrasts with "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" where it's about longing. This is more about lust.

yes, lust .....

‘I grabbed you by the Heinz baked beans’

o_O:brows:

Last edited:
Given the sense of impending doom that hangs over this as the 'breakup' album I can't help but hear the lyrics as a reference to the Smiths and Moz's unsure relationship with Johnny, rather than about some lovers relationship on the rocks. I know it's a cliche, and people read far too many references to Johnny in songs, but in this case I just can't help it.

‘Mozepida’ devotes much of it’s entry to the well-documented tension the written music created between the band, most notably Morrissey and Marr, but do we have a time frame of when the lyrics were actually written?

There are many examples where Morrissey’s lyrics sit on the shelf for years before they are actually put to music. Just wondering…

Given the sense of impending doom that hangs over this as the 'breakup' album I can't help but hear the lyrics as a reference to the Smiths and Moz's unsure relationship with Johnny, rather than about some lovers relationship on the rocks. I know it's a cliche, and people read far too many references to Johnny in songs, but in this case I just can't help it.
That's an interesting interpretation, but I honestly think that might be a stretch.

There are some Morrissey lyrics that are simply intended to be humorous or a little flippant and I think this is one of them.

No doubt. I wish Johnny and Morrissey created a lot more songs together. I was just pointing out that for me I feel like the inner frustrations were starting to show through on Strangeways. Absolutely still brilliant but their dysfunctionality and intense work ethic was taking their toll. Could they have at least given themselves 6 months off after finishing TQID tour and starting a new album? For Johnny who had to initiate the songwriting process every time as well as other management duties, it must have felt like a grind by then.
This is a valid point. The pace at which they were writing and recording and touring was unhealthy even without the addition of management duties. And fatigue feeds irritation with negative feedback coming from a person with whom you are already having tensions. There was a black cloud hanging over this recording, Morrissey and Johnny were no longer in full agreement over the (musical) direction they wanted to take.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom