The Smiths A-Z: "I Keep Mine Hidden"

Well worth reading:

And the source of:
"Morrissey had this song, 'I Keep Mine Hidden' which was basically Morrissey saying, 'I'm sorry Johnny, I'm a complete f*** up but please forgive me,'" reveals Grant Showbiz. "With lots of specific references, it was a very direct song."

Regards,
FWD.
Thanks for posting this illuminating article. Who was the journalist who was rumored to be in a relationship with Morrissey? Was it Jon Savage?

Well worth reading:

And the source of:
"Morrissey had this song, 'I Keep Mine Hidden' which was basically Morrissey saying, 'I'm sorry Johnny, I'm a complete f*** up but please forgive me,'" reveals Grant Showbiz. "With lots of specific references, it was a very direct song."

Regards,
FWD.

Thanks so much @Famous when dead... I might have read it in 1998 but honestly don't recall. Nevertheless a very enjoyable and enlightening read. In fact, it's difficult not to think that it could have been written now. So much seems the same or worse... no record contract, managers coming and going, becoming even more withdrawn from the press, etc. But again, one of the most informative Morrissey articles I've read.

Last edited:
Thanks so much @Famous when dead... I might have read it in 1998 but honestly don't recall. Nevertheless a very enjoyable and enlightening read. In fact, it's difficult not to think that it could have been written now. So much seems the same or worse... no record contract, managers coming and going, etc. But again, one of the most informative Morrissey articles I've read.
Uncut used to have some quite good stuff, The thing is now, music isn't really as valued as it once was.
Thus, music magazines also aren't taken as seriously. This means you don't really get articles like this anymore, at least not often. Its a shame

I think we had quite a good music press, in the UK, compared to America anyway, their printed music magazines were mostly awful.

I made a similar point, re managers,etc. I think the fact, he is back where he was in 98 or so, shows he's a man who learns nothing from his own history or just isn't able to adapt Joe Slee made some very good points., which validates some of the things some of us have been saying regarding M's ways (during this spat with Marr)

Maybe its where I am unwell at the moment, but the interview was a bit upsetting, M's inability to change, Like the person said, I wanted M to be able to chill out, find a partner and be happy.

Also, it really is scary how time moves on, relentless and uncaring, moving forward wreaking havoc like a Russian convoy.
To me 1998 seems like a few years ago, when really it was 24 years ago. I think I was nearly 24 at the time when I read it. Its depressing.
Its a testament to how much M has helped and means to some of us, that 24 years later here we are.

I think Grant is dead now, isn't he?

Its true what Jake said, in 98 they were still friends. They hate each other now, but they were friends. Its also true about, Men going to his house in Camden.

Uncut used to have some quite good stuff, The thing is now, music isn't really as valued as it once was.
Thus, music magazines also aren't taken as seriously. This means you don't really get articles like this anymore, at least not often. Its a shame

I think we had quite a good music press, in the UK, compared to America anyway, their printed music magazines were mostly awful.

I made a similar point, re managers,etc. I think the fact, he is back where he was in 98 or so, shows he's a man who learns nothing from his own history or just isn't able to adapt Joe Slee made some very good points., which validates some of the things some of us have been saying regarding M's ways (during this spat with Marr)

Maybe its where I am unwell at the moment, but the interview was a bit upsetting, M's inability to change, Like the person said, I wanted M to be able to chill out, find a partner and be happy.

Also, it really is scary how time moves on, relentless and uncaring, moving forward wreaking havoc like a Russian convoy.
To me 1998 seems like a few years ago, when really it was 24 years ago. I think I was nearly 24 at the time when I read it. Its depressing.
Its a testament to how much M has helped and means to some of us, that 24 years later here we are.

I think Grant is dead now, isn't he?

Its true what Jake said, in 98 they were still friends. They hate each other now, but they were friends. Its also true about, Men going to his house in Camden.
Really good points. I think the article did a great job of explaining how the Morrissey/Marr relationship gradually broke apart. I think those that are quick to hate and blame Johnny solely for the split really lack compassion for how difficult it must have been for Johnny to manage all that he was (exhaustion, alcoholism, and management duties he should never have taken on)... and Morrissey on top of that... in his early 20s nonetheless. So yeah, maybe "I Keep Mine Hidden" was an acknowledgment of that.

Last edited:
Johnny was drinking and drugging and crashing into brick walls, but it was Morrissey's fault :crazy::rolleyes:

M'pedia:
"Mike Joyce speculates that the ‘yellow and green stumbling block’ may be a reference to the singer’s medication at the time (yellow and green are the colour of temazepam capsules, a prescription anti-depressant), while Morrissey also hints at the scars of a repressed upbringing. His final groan is even more cryptic: ‘use your loaf’ (i.e. ‘use your head’)."

Not that I've been on the receiving end of them, but in a previous professional life (early 90's), I can attest to there being several brands of benzodiazepines that matched this description.
Regards,
FWD.
Temazepam (brand, Resotril in the States), it is true is in the benzodiazepine class, along with Valium (diazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam)…those are the main players….whereas the previously 3 mentioned are used for panic, generalized anxiety, etc., temazepam it should be noted is really only used for sleep nowadays, as it’s subtle differences in mechanism of action make it best for sleep vs. anxiety. It will work for anxiety, but the other benzo’s are better suited for that.

Forgive me, as previously mentioned, it is true, I am a pharmacist, and love to talk drugs.

Keep up the work second to none, FWD…

He's very much alive and kicking as Billy Bragg's longtime soundman/confidante
Oh that's nice to hear, as he's meant to be a nice guy..Although being Billy Braggs soundman, is a fate worse than death
It must be Joe Moss whos dead then, I always got them mixed up

I really enjoy this song. It is a mainstay on my work playlist.

To me, when the lesser-educated fans/journalists profess to spew about how The Smiths/Morrissey are just all about sad songs, and being miserable, this song proves they really are off point.

Just the title is playful. I’ve always thought the title could be sexually playful, or it could mean one’s feelings…really, it could represent anything. And that is the genius of Morrissey. Before you even listen to the song, just by the title you are captivated by what could be coming.

I am glad Morrissey lists this song as one of his favorites, because it is also one of mine.

-take this with a grain of salt…I am an American fan, and as I have learned recently, pretty much means I know nothing about how to be a true Smiths/Morrissey fan.

The "H-Bomb" article was truly upsetting. Like you say, @Dirk Blaggard , what jumps out is his total inability to change - that article could have been written last week. The isolation, "ex-communication" of countless industry people, the business-like relationship with the band & giving orders by proxy... he comes across as a very unhappy, insecure person and when you add depression into it, there's no easy fix.

"I actually feel like he's been indoctrinated against trusting people at some stage in his life" - that quote made sense to me because what else could explain decades of discarding so many people, letting countless friendships 'drift', refusing to answer the phone - it's self-sabotage. The end result of a life like that is that you have no-one left to chase you or ask how you are, people assume you prefer to be alone and so 'the telephone never rings'. The Grant quote at the end - "it will probably be in a lonely garage with the poison, because that's the way he wants to go out" is dismal.

Johnny was drinking and drugging and crashing into brick walls, but it was Morrissey's fault :crazy::rolleyes:
Did you read the article? Johnny had to medicate himself to cope with Morrissey’s difficult personality and the pressures of the band. That’s why he left, to save himself. The car crash was a wake up call for him.

Did you read the article? Johnny had to medicate himself to cope with Morrissey’s difficult personality and the pressures of the band. That’s why he left, to save himself. The car crash was a wake up call for him.

So were Mike and Andy. Yes they were all ‘medicating’ because of the big bad Morrissey.

:)
low self esteem extravaganza, crashing the motor car into walls, smoking drugs and swallowing liquor as if it was a river, botox, fake cool name, ocean britches, wig, tacky narcisissm, tats all over:sick:
a case study le pep.:darts:

:hammer:

Morrissey is not responsible for what Johnny puts in his mouth or that Johnny got behind a wheel of a car in that condition. "Morrissey made him do it" has been old for about 40 years now.

Last edited:
Were they? I didn’t realize. Thanks for that insight.

No problem. Below excerpt from part 1 of the article some are taking as gospel ....

‘Mike Joyce: "Bar Morrissey, we were certainly burning it at both ends. And in the middle."

Andy Catlin: "Mike in particular started to get into drugs and stuff a lot. There seemed to be more of a separation between all the members of the band, not just Johnny and Morrissey. There was a very different pressure on Andy and Mike... the pressure of not having any control and getting out of it a lot in response to that.

"Mike and Andy were out a lot. I'd bump into them at clubs. They definitely headed for the underbelly of rock'n'roll. They'd gone into the darkness."

M'pedia:
"Mike Joyce speculates that the ‘yellow and green stumbling block’ may be a reference to the singer’s medication at the time (yellow and green are the colour of temazepam capsules, a prescription anti-depressant), while Morrissey also hints at the scars of a repressed upbringing. His final groan is even more cryptic: ‘use your loaf’ (i.e. ‘use your head’)."

Not that I've been on the receiving end of them, but in a previous professional life (early 90's), I can attest to there being several brands of benzodiazepines that matched this description.
Regards,
FWD.
So it is the perfect companion to Something is squeezing my scull then. Playing it live in 2009 was no coincidenc.

:)
low self esteem extravaganza, crashing the motor car into walls, smoking drugs and swallowing liquor as if it was a river, botox, fake cool name, ocean britches, wig, tacky narcisissm, tats all over:sick:
a case study le pep.:darts:

:hammer:
There should be a little Johnny action figure doll covered in tats that comes with a crashed up car, various pills and drugs, booze bottles. a wig, blackbrow pencil, tiny women's jackets, erotic french ocean britches, a McMuffin and when you pull the string it says 'Morrissey attacked me' over and over.

How refreshing - even the individual soing threads have now desceneded into a forum for Johnny-bashing.

One of the many things I loved about The Smiths was the use of regional dialect in the lyrics.

I wonder how many fans worldwide would've known 'touched' in the context of being 'mental' as in the sentence 'You're proper well touched in the head, you are!'

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom