The Smiths A-Z: "I Keep Mine Hidden"

The subtly remixed version on/in the Smiths Complete box set has those lovely swells of feedback if my ears recall correctly.
Yeah, I've always loved the song, but the new mix is a huge improvement, sonically. There was absolutely zero publicity or mention of this being a different version when the 'Complete' boxset was released in 2011, so it was a real shock when I first heard it - the differences really leap out when you listen on headphones. I doub this was an alternate mix that was laying around at the time, as it just sounds so much better than the issued version. As Johnny handled all the remastering, I'm sure he was so annoyed with the sound of the original he went back in and did a completely new remix in 2011, then sneaked it out on the set without actually telling anyone (or trying to get permission from 'he who must not be mentioned').
Be nice if 'Work is a Four-Letter Word' gets the same treatment at some point, though I suspect Johnny doesn'y care about that song one way or another, so probably not.

Ann Coates?

Actually I’d like to know too. I always thought or liked to imagine that it was Morrissey himself.

Not many (any?) pop songs from the 80’s on feature a melody line that’s whistled. Another stroke of genius from The Smiths, that no one should be surprised by.
bryan ferry whistling on the roxy cover of jealous guy is probably the most famous whistle on any record.

I wonder why Grant thought this song was directed at Marr?
I guess we'll never know if the lyrics are directed specifically at Marr, or just Moz comparing himself to anyone who is vaguely well-adjusted and 'normal' - possibly both at the same time? Either way, I love the lyrics on this one, particularly the double meaning in the line "a past where to be touched meant to be mental'. Sure, you've got the use of the word 'touched' as slang for mental health, but the conventional meaning of the word works just as well, considering Morrissey's stated woes regarding his sexual problems with both genders when younger.

This is kind of fun and deserved a better recording. Sounds like something that would play during the end of a film.

Here's the radio interview I mentioned earlier queued up to where he briefly mentions "I Keep Mine Hidden." He says it's his absolute favorite, but later as he's mentioned favorites from his own songs I don't recall it coming up again. Anyway, it feels like a truly wasted opportunity for Richard Blade to ask Morrissey why this track was his favorite?

Last edited:
A dim question, but: do we know who does the whistling on this?
In The Severed Alliance Rogan writes "By 19 May, work was completed on the final Smiths recording 'I Keep Mine Hidden'. Morrissey whistled breezily through the track, sounding not unlike a modern-day George Formby."

A dim question, but: do we know who does the whistling on this?
I thought it was M, It sounds like him...
I mean If i had to pick a whistle in a lineup and connect it with a person ..I would match the two

I didn't know it was one of M's favs. I'm happy it is, shows he has good taste

Nope, sorry.....

:p

There’s actually a long list more famous than Ferry’s cover.

You did not just say something is better than Bryan Ferry :swear I still like you tho

I bought the 12" 'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before' on import primarily because it had 'I Keep Mine Hidden' on it and I had never heard the track before.

I still have it on beautiful red vinyl.

I love it. It's bright and breezy and captures Morrissey in playful mood.

Last edited:
Well worth reading:

And the source of:
"Morrissey had this song, 'I Keep Mine Hidden' which was basically Morrissey saying, 'I'm sorry Johnny, I'm a complete f*** up but please forgive me,'" reveals Grant Showbiz. "With lots of specific references, it was a very direct song."

Regards,
FWD.
That is amazing material, almost all of which I'd forgotten about. Thanks for sharing.

This bit in particular:

"He finds it difficult to receive friendship," she says. "If you don't learn self-esteem when you're a child, for whatever reason, you have to work really hard when you're older. And you've got to have a reason for doing that. He's the type of person who, if people want to keep in touch with him, they probably need to do it. I don't think he really believes that people want to be his friend.

The self-esteem problem is interesting because of the connection between low self-esteem and grandiosity. You could say that Morrissey has plenty of grandiosity, and he has extraordinarily low self-esteem. And yet he's a very passionate person. Work that one out!"

...is so completely fascinating.

As loyal as he was to his mum, from what I have heard, she wasn't the easiest or nicest person and although he is loyal publically. I expect he is aware there was damage done, he probably blamed his dad at first but as the years passed.
I don't mean that in a nasty way,

:rolleyes:

I'm just saying Steven maybe didn't have the healthiest surroundings, for someone of his type

‘Steven’ :rolleyes:

FWD have you ever come across this I-D interview?

Although the band presented a united image, Morrissey had assumed to role of bandleader early on. Joyce remembers a turning-point at an interview with I-D.

"It was a total shambles," he says. "Mozzer kept pretty quiet. I think he was a bit shocked at some of the things we were saying. After that, it was deemed that he, or he and Johnny, would do the interviews.”
This rings a bell.
Probably hidden on Plundering Desire somewhere.
Will have a look when in later.
Regards,
FWD.

This rings a bell.
Probably hidden on Plundering Desire somewhere.
Will have a look when in later.
Regards,
FWD.

Never heard of this site.

Found the interview, Smiths first one ... when Dale Hibbert was in the band!

THANKS ! (y)

Edit... not as cringe as I thought it would be. Surprised Dale answered so much.

Last edited:
Well worth reading:

And the source of:
"Morrissey had this song, 'I Keep Mine Hidden' which was basically Morrissey saying, 'I'm sorry Johnny, I'm a complete f*** up but please forgive me,'" reveals Grant Showbiz. "With lots of specific references, it was a very direct song."

Regards,
FWD.
Thank you for this, i had read this interview, back in the day and forgot about this.
It would explain why he took it off his fave song list. We get embarrassed by our apologies.

Really, though, there can't have been "lots " of references.
I mean look at the lyrics, they are sparse ( though obviously, it may mean more than it first appears)

"
Hate, love and war
Force emotions to the fore
But not for me, of course
Of course
I keep mine hidden
Oh...

I keep mine hidden
But it's so easy for you
Because you let yours flail
Into public view
Oh, oh...

Yellow and green
A stumbling block
I'm a twenty-digit combination to unlock
With a past where to be 'touched'
Meant to be 'mental'

Ooh, I keep mine hidden
The lies are so easy for you
Because you let yours slide
Into public view
Oh...

Use your loaf!"

A quick break down, as I feel unwell-

Ok, "hate love and war" - why hate love and war ?
One positive, one negative, hate them both for what they bring forth.
Some people like emotions coming forth but not M of course, of course, he keeps his hidden (except he doesn't, what some of us adore, from sky to floor, is the fact M's emotions are always to the fore)

"I keep mine hidden but it's easy for you. Because you let yours flail into public view" - M likes to keep his private life private, he isn't into public displays. Meanwhile, Johnny would swan around with whom he likes, with Ange holding hands, strengthen the ties that bind

The best lyrics, and so very true of lots of us more repressed sons from overbearing mothers,
"
Yellow and green A stumbling block I'm a twenty-digit combination to unlock With a past where to be 'touched'
Meant to be 'mental'

Yellow and green - could be Prozac ( that didn't o on sale until 1987 ) or a benzo
He's a combination to unlock, due to the very British disease of emotions being all over the place, due to repression etc

Repression and religion give birth to the lyric " where the past meant to be touched meant to be mental"
That could mean to touch someone, to like sex was seen as being animal-like, mental.
OR to be "touched " (gay) in the past, seen as being mental

Back to how hard M finds it navigating the socialized world -

"The lies are so easy for you Because you let yours slide into public view"

This could be read as M taking a swipe calling Johnny a lair, which there is proof he can be (can't we all?)
BUT I think its the wider context, that day to day life , to get by one has to live a lie, that social interaction is based on lies and falsehoods
Essentially, saying Johnny can put on a social front and get by. He can only be himself.

As I say , there could be more to it, than this reading but not much more

That is amazing material, almost all of which I'd forgotten about. Thanks for sharing.

This bit in particular:

"He finds it difficult to receive friendship," she says. "If you don't learn self-esteem when you're a child, for whatever reason, you have to work really hard when you're older. And you've got to have a reason for doing that. He's the type of person who, if people want to keep in touch with him, they probably need to do it. I don't think he really believes that people want to be his friend.

The self-esteem problem is interesting because of the connection between low self-esteem and grandiosity. You could say that Morrissey has plenty of grandiosity, and he has extraordinarily low self-esteem. And yet he's a very passionate person. Work that one out!"

...is so completely fascinating.
Yes, its fun isn't it, I have this interview back in the attack, I must sell all that stuff now, not sure you get much money for it .

It's worth checking out the Plundering Desire website, FWD linked as well. Did it used to be the Arcane Wardrobe, or whatever it was called?

I find it fascinating to read back old Smith's interviews now. At the time, when I was, all but child really, he seemed so so intelligent, when you read back as an adult, lots it still stands up, but you see through it and you have to laugh at how impressionable one can be

Edit
This made me laugh , not much changes

" They don't give out that kind of information. This is becoming a mantra for all enquiries concerning Steven Patrick Morrissey. Supposing I told you this: that in 1998 the pop icon known simply as Morrissey apparently has no record contract, no publishing deal, no manager and no band and is seen by some as being on the verge of retirement."

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom