The Smiths A-Z: "Girl Afraid"

BookishBoy

Next up in our Smiths A-Z project is this song, which appeared as a B-side of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" in May 1984, and was then included on Hatful of Hollow later that year.

The song was played live by the Smiths 46 times (all in 1984) and was then unexpectedly resurrected by Morrissey in 2019.

What do we think?

One of those timeless, perfect masterpieces. Guitar-based indie doesn’t get much better than this.

This is the Smiths at their finest.
With brutal lyrics that even I remember whilst trying to cop off with a girl in your mates house who was babysitting, and getting nothing, or nowhere.
Lyrically Moz has nailed this one and it’s something we all can probably relate to in our youth .

Incredible and unique...I had literally never heard anything like this before...or since. Perhaps, just perhaps, the intro is a little too long, but it is a song I listen to often and it always takes me back to a more simple, albeit sexually frustrating, period of time.

I don't know the original source for this info, but apparently Morrissey pilfered the song's title from a novel that shows up in the 1943 Bette Davis / Miriam Hopkins movie Old Acquaintance. (Screenshot below.)

Untitled.jpg

Great work from Johnny and the long instrumental stretches make a mockery of that comment from someone or other (I can't remember the name) that suggested that Morrissey sought to sing over every second of Johnny's music.

The lyrics are fairly slight, but I appreciate the sentiment.

It was a typically quixotic choice for Morrissey to add to his live shows.

Just to show other viewpoints and not because they should be considered in any way definitive...

In the poll on this board this song ranked 37th from 73 of the group's songs.
In the poll on the Hoffman board this song ranked 40th from 73 of the group's songs.

I also love the guitar intro on this one.
Morrissey clearly kicks in later than expected, but it has a charm.

I went mad when he played it in NY in 2019.

Could have been a great single in 1984; actually, I prefer it to Heaven Knows …

Next up in our Smiths A-Z project is this song, which appeared as a B-side of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" in May 1984, and was then included on Hatful of Hollow later that year.

The song was played live by the Smiths 46 times (all in 1984) and was then unexpectedly resurrected by Morrissey in 2019.

What do we think?

Everyone has their favourite LPs, in Smiths world its no different
I dare say if our brains were poked with computer measuring tools we would soon discover we love every single one, as much as the other,
Its just some stick to us more than others, for no other reason than chance. Like M and Marr, some prefer to be with the almost perfect Strangeways..At this stage the band were masters of their craft with priceless production.
For others it's the moody and powerful Queen Is Dead.
For me, its Smiths and Meat Is Murder. I think it was around this time, when the band were at their most magical. They were utterly unique. . They were both new and as old as the dust in hidden corners of The Church Of The Holy Sepulchre

They managed to bring an eccentric Englishness, that had never ever been in popular music before, or at least not quite in this way.
The Kinks ,The Jam, The Sex Pistols and The Specials, were as English as a bleak Wednesday afternoon. but they were straight punchers
The Smiths zig zagged, into the mystical . They were gothic in the most romantic victorian sense and it was all so natural to them.
This song, I think captures all of what I just said.
As good as they were when they landed, they were still learning, they were finding their feet. M was training his tones , feeling his way with every yelp and bark.
Johnny , played like someone who is trying to work his way through and master every single note and melody at once and the rhythm section, were born solid.
I think this song also shows how much M and Marr complimented each other.
Forget the bitching, ..Remember the loving hugs and kisses

Everyone has their favourite LPs, in Smiths world its no different
I dare say if our brains were poked with computer measuring tools we would soon discover we love every single one, as much as the other,
Its just some stick to us more than others, for no other reason than chance. Like M and Marr, some prefer to be with the almost perfect Strangeways..At this stage the band were masters of their craft with priceless production.
For others it's the moody and powerful Queen Is Dead.
For me, its Smiths and Meat Is Murder. I think it was around this time, when the band were at their most magical. They were utterly unique. . They were both new and as old as the dust in hidden corners of The Church Of The Holy Sepulchre

They managed to bring an eccentric Englishness, that had never ever been in popular music before, or at least not quite in this way.
The Kinks ,The Jam, The Sex Pistols and The Specials, were as English as a bleak Wednesday afternoon. but they were straight punchers
The Smiths zig zagged, into the mystical . They were gothic in the most romantic victorian sense and it was all so natural to them.
This song, I think captures all of what I just said.
As good as they were when they landed, they were still learning, they were finding their feet. M was training his tones , feeling his way with every yelp and bark.
Johnny , played like someone who is trying to work his way through and master every single note and melody at once and the rhythm section, were born solid.
I think this song also shows how much M and Marr complimented each other.
Forget the bitching, ..Remember the loving hugs and kisses

Great post. And also, it’s a song even a Yank could understand and relate to!

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom