The Smiths A-Z: "Frankly, Mr Shankly"

Morrissey actually wanted George Martin to produce Queen is Dead.

‘Legendary Beatles producer George Martin had already worked on a number of iconic albums including Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band when he was asked to work on The Queen Is Dead. Martin declined, stating that he would prefer to be remembered for his work with The Beatles.’

Not sure how i feel about that idea, i take it he was being polite and just didn't like the band, as i doubt he would be remembered for anything other than The Beatles anyway.

Really wish Moz woulda been one of the workers
when I was makin' Christmas cards.
All them other workers used to get mad at me, cause
I only made cards that said "Stop Murderin' Turkeys
for Christmas".
Them other workers said my cards weren't joyous.

Not sure how i feel about that idea, i take it he was being polite and just didn't like the band, as i doubt he would be remembered for anything other than The Beatles anyway.

Would have been an interesting feather in both George’s and The Smiths cap though.

But my post was really in regards
to arrangements for the songs, and the mention of The Beatles.
As usual the may have wanted to take a different direction than MIM
and the desire to have someone that was capable of writing for string,brass, etc instruments. So they shot for the top to try and get Martin, then after that fail, they tried Visconti who can also write arrangements, listen to T.Rex’s early 70’s stuff, Sparks ‘Indiscreet’ or
even the song Band on the Run.

I don’t know how well a orchestrated version of TQIDead
would have gone over with fans.

Though maybe what they originally had in mind for the album was probably different than the way it actually turned out.

A fantastic song, and, despite its seemingly straight comedic exterior, it turns out to be (with the addition of well placed minor chords, as well as overwhelming lyrical despair) something more substantial. Firstly, it's one of the catchiest tracks on an album stuffed full with them: the plodding, accented bassline, matched with the stop-start tom rolls and fills that Joyce conjures up. Secondly, Marr injects the tune with some much needed sorrowful counterpoint: listen to the heart tugging strums that accompany such intentionally benign lyrics like "It pays my way but it corrodes my soul". Thirdly, Morrissey's lyricism is on point, encapsulating the futility of the world of work, as well as the unattainability of working class dreams, all in two and a half minutes: it's one of his cherished kitchen sink films rolled into a vignette that ends with a Billy Liar-esque riposte of the boss - later to be echoed in Moz's own "no bus, no boss..." segment of "Spent the Day In Bed" - which concludes the track with two fingers up to all those who stifle the working classes. Astounding.
10/10

Morrissey actually wanted George Martin to produce Queen is Dead.

‘Legendary Beatles producer George Martin had already worked on a number of iconic albums including Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band when he was asked to work on The Queen Is Dead. Martin declined, stating that he would prefer to be remembered for his work with The Beatles.’
Wasn't 'Frankly Mr Shankly' also the song he wrote to Linda McCartney, requesting she play keyboards on? He must have been going through some strange Beatles phase at the time, as he never seems to rate them much in most interviews.

I maintain that a-ha nicked this for 'Maybe Maybe' from their Scoundrel Days album a year later.

SC also came out in ‘86. Great album!

I have a difficult time trying to wrap my head around what I really feel about Frankly, Mr Shankly. It’s definitely the weakest of the humorous songs on TQID, and not a song that I ever feel the urge to listen to. At the same time, it does a good enough job to lighten one’s mood before and make one ready-ish for the one-two gloom punch of IKIO and NHNOE.

SC also came out in ‘86. Great album!

I have a difficult time trying to wrap my head around what I really feel about Frankly, Mr Shankly. It’s definitely the weakest of the humorous songs on TQID, and not a song that I ever feel the urge to listen to. At the same time, it does a good enough job to lighten one’s mood before and make one ready-ish for the one-two gloom punch of IKIO and NHNOE.
"Gloompunch" should totally be a musical genre.

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom