The Smiths A-Z: "A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours"

Somewhat late, but do enjoy what's left of it . . .
Bloomsday-2022-784x441.jpg

This is one of the few songs in the Smiths canon that I dislike but only because it reminds me of pretentious men at Moz/Smiths nights singing it to each other's faces with body movements that indicate that they believe themselves to be Morrissey.

Never has violence been so completely justified.

This is one of the few songs in the Smiths canon that I dislike but only because it reminds me of pretentious men at Moz/Smiths nights singing it to each other's faces with body movements that indicate that they believe themselves to be Morrissey.

Never has violence been so completely justified.

That's some accusation...
As to my plea?
Guilty m'lud!
Big apols all round.

I love this song. Simply love it This, as people have said, is a splendid opener.

It's Funny, Smiths went from the soft album-opening of Reel Around, which leads one in a gentle manner. To the more stuttery rock n roll of The Headmasters Ritual, to the storming of the gates, Queen is Dead, before, then on the last lp its a hypnotic effect.

The spectral elongated "aaarrrrrrrr" vocal dissolves into " I am the ghost of Troubled Joe, Hung by his pretty white neck some eighteen months ago" and "just like that" he is in your very being and so starts the Strangeways adventure. The land they have just grabbed is the land in the landscape of the mind

A Rush And A Push melts seamlessly into the next song I Started Something, I Couldn't Finish- in fact, I don't think hardly any two songs in the smiths/M world ft together quite as nicely. It sits so nicely the mind seems to, almost accept it as two parts to one song. Keeping us on the hook, as we are one track further into the adventure.

I love this song. Simply love it This, as people have said, is a splendid opener.

It's Funny, Smiths went from the soft album-opening of Reel Around, which leads one in a gentle manner. To the more stuttery rock n roll of The Headmasters Ritual, to the storming of the gates, Queen is Dead, before, then on the last lp its a hypnotic effect.

The spectral elongated "aaarrrrrrrr" vocal dissolves into " I am the ghost of Troubled Joe, Hung by his pretty white neck some eighteen months ago" and "just like that" he is in your very being and so starts the Strangeways adventure. The land they have just grabbed is the land in the landscape of the mind

A Rush And A Push melts seamlessly into the next song I Started Something, I Couldn't Finish- in fact, I don't think hardly any two songs in the smiths/M world ft together quite as nicely. It sits so nicely the mind seems to, almost accept it as two parts to one song. Keeping us on the hook, as we are one track further into the adventure.
🙄
Marvellously put 🍻

Yes, nicely put Dirk.
Minor point but I think 'aaaarrr' is actually 'oh hello'.

It's great. "I traveled to a mystical time zone" is such a fantastic idea and so humorously deflated by, "and I missed my bed and I soon came home." The great lines just keep coming and the music is really exciting. 10/10

Yes, nicely put Dirk.
Minor point but I think 'aaaarrr' is actually 'oh hello'.
Oh, I know.. what it actually says. I just meant that's how its sounds. The "oh, hello" is stretched so its like a lone "ahhhhhhhhh" sound
Sorry, maybe I should have said that, I just assumed people would know what I meant
One of the other posters mentioned the "I miss my bed and I soon came home" line. They are right, that is such a classic line,
That one really hit home to me... Its very Us (m and his fans that share that hermetic zeal)

Tags
the smiths a-z
Back
Top Bottom