The Skylarker Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1074

Where I ask Skylarker questions because his messages are disabled.

So, what do you think of Suede's 'Bloodsports' and Bowie's 'The Next Day'?

Where I ask Skylarker questions because his messages are disabled.

So, what do you think of Suede's 'Bloodsports' and Bowie's 'The Next Day'?

I don't care much about any Suede material after Coming Up and its associated tracks. There's a smattering of stuff they did for Head Music, most of which was left off the album, which I like. I recently burned myself custom versions I'd made of their last two LPs, which were far superior to the official versions, but I still could only a get a half boner at best. But then, I am almost 40, so maybe it's not all Suede's fault...

I liked half of The Tears' record, or a third. To me, that was the Suede reunion. I have no interest at all in Bloodsports and have only heard the single, which went in one ear and out the other. I think the reunion, like Blur's, is an ill-thought-out gimmick that is banking on the bullshit 90s nostalgia train. And I loved those bands as a kid. But yeah.

That's one of the few things I still respect about Morrissey...that he won't reform The Smiths because of what an abortion of tact it would be. Then again, can't get much worse than what he has now...

Bowie...I have mixed feelings about Bowie. I either love his stuff or have no use for it at all. I'm ignorant to most of the albums after Low. What I've heard of the new record is decent, but it's not something I've really pursued as a whole. I'll admit I should at least play it once. I respect him as an artist, but don't care too much about him. Maybe that will come later in life, I don't know. I've always pushed him to the backburner.

They can disable your private messaging here?

Not that I ever use it. Just was unaware that could happen.

I don't care much about any Suede material after Coming Up and its associated tracks. There's a smattering of stuff they did for Head Music, most of which was left off the album, which I like. I recently burned myself custom versions I'd made of their last two LPs, which were far superior to the official versions, but I still could only a get a half boner at best. But then, I am almost 40, so maybe it's not all Suede's fault...

I'm hard pressed to find anything of worth after Dog Man Star...I just can't take them seriously musically because nothing really holds up to anything Butler wrote. I think 'Beautiful Ones' and 'The Chemistry Between Us' is probably the only post-Butler songs I like.

I liked half of The Tears' record, or a third. To me, that was the Suede reunion.

I must admit...I've never actually listened to it.

I have no interest at all in Bloodsports and have only heard the single, which went in one ear and out the other.

There is at least 3 songs on Bloodsports you might like...you might want to give Sabotage, Always, & Faultlines a listen...those are about the only bit of worth I found on the album.

I think the reunion, like Blur's, is an ill-thought-out gimmick that is banking on the bullshit 90s nostalgia train. And I loved those bands as a kid. But yeah.

Nostalgia usually pays the bills...they certainly are paying Morrissey's.

That's one of the few things I still respect about Morrissey...that he won't reform The Smiths because of what an abortion of tact it would be. Then again, can't get much worse than what he has now...

I don't think it would be an abortion at all. It could be good, it could be bad...either way, at least the old songs will be done justice.

Bowie...I have mixed feelings about Bowie. I either love his stuff or have no use for it at all. I'm ignorant to most of the albums after Low. What I've heard of the new record is decent, but it's not something I've really pursued as a whole. I'll admit I should at least play it once. I respect him as an artist, but don't care too much about him. Maybe that will come later in life, I don't know. I've always pushed him to the backburner.

Bowie has put out a lot of crap...you can't be a winner all the time. However, I think this new album has some very strong songs on it...I'd say check out 'The Next Day', 'Valentine's Day', & 'You Feel So Lonely You Could Die' before giving anything else a listen...I feel they are the strongest tracks on the album.

I will listen to those records, the Bowie and the new Suede, at least once each, if only because there's no valid excuse not to at least try them.

But I will say, while I can understand (yet disagree) why Coming Up might not appeal to you, it's strange that you don't care about any Suede post-Butler, yet you have never listened to The Tears. Some really great songs on there...and some duds that smell like leftovers from Anderson's A New Morning lyric notebook. But mostly, that album is a winner and is, in spots, great.

This song, Fallen Idol, which supposedly is about Pete Townsend, is as good as anything on DogManStar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will listen to those records, the Bowie and the new Suede, at least once each, if only because there's no valid excuse not to at least try them.

They are on Spotify if you use that.

But I will say, while I can understand (yet disagree) why Coming Up might not appeal to you, it's strange that you don't care about any Suede post-Butler, yet you have never listened to The Tears.

That is because I wasn't actually aware of The Tears until you brought them up. Lol. I only actively follow the careers of a handful of people.

Some really great songs on there...and some duds that smell like leftovers from Anderson's A New Morning lyric notebook.

After listening to the album, I see what you mean. He seems to be the weaker link in The Tears...some of the vocal melodies and lyrics are...questionable.

But mostly, that album is a winner and is, in spots, great.

I agree. I like most of it. I even like one of the b-sides.

This song, Fallen Idol, which supposedly is about Pete Townsend, is as good as anything on DogManStar.

Really? You think this is as good as 'Heroine', 'We Are The Pigs', 'The Asphalt World', or 'The Wild Ones'?

tumblr_m8jwswYECd1r71ffno1_250.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? You think this is as good as 'Heroine', 'We Are The Pigs', 'The Asphalt World', or 'The Wild Ones'?

Well...no. It's not as good as those songs.

But I like it better than This Hollywood Life.

Well...no. It's not as good as those songs.

But I like it better than This Hollywood Life.

That I agree on.

I think 'Brave New Century' is probably the song I like most off the album.

That I agree on.

I think 'Brave New Century' is probably the song I like most off the album.

I thought that was a b-side. That's on the record? It's a good song but not my favorite.

In concert they opened once with This Hollywood Life and Richie went right into the riff, there was no brass opening. They played it that way on MRL, too. Much better. That cheesy intro shoots it in the foot before it gets out the door.

I thought that was a b-side. That's on the record? It's a good song but not my favorite.

No, not a b-side. There is a b-side called 'Low-Life'...I liked that one a lot.

In concert they opened once with This Hollywood Life and Richie went right into the riff, there was no brass opening. They played it that way on MRL, too. Much better. That cheesy intro shoots it in the foot before it gets out the door.

It has a lot more than the intro going against it. Lol. 'Daddy's Speeding' is pretty gay too. Those are about the only two songs I can't listen to off the album. I took the songs I don't like off and put the album in the order I felt it should have been anyway with a few b-sides. It is much better that way.

No, not a b-side. There is a b-side called 'Low-Life'...I liked that one a lot.

It has a lot more than the intro going against it. Lol. 'Daddy's Speeding' is pretty gay too. Those are about the only two songs I can't listen to off the album. I took the songs I don't like off and put the album in the order I felt it should have been anyway with a few b-sides. It is much better that way.

I'd like to see that tracklist. I love doing that with albums and I agree completely about those songs...Daddy's Speeding is a death crawl, too slow to even process.

My preferred tracklist goes something like this..

Introducing The Band
This World Needs a Father
We Are The Pigs
The Killing Of A Flashboy
Heroine
The Wild Ones
--
Whipsnade
New Generation
The 2 Of Us
Black Or Blue
The Asphalt World
Still Life

I'd like to see that tracklist. I love doing that with albums and I agree completely about those songs...Daddy's Speeding is a death crawl, too slow to even process.

My preferred tracklist goes something like this..

Introducing The Band
This World Needs a Father
We Are The Pigs
The Killing Of A Flashboy
Heroine
The Wild Ones
--
Whipsnade
New Generation
The 2 Of Us
Black Or Blue
The Asphalt World
Still Life

You are more faithful to the album than I am...Lol.

We Are The Pigs
Heroine
The Wild Ones
The Living Dead
My Dark Star
The Power
Killing Of A Flashboy
New Generation
Stay Together (Long version)
The 2 Of Us
Still Life
The Asphalt World (Long version)

You are more faithful to the album than I am...Lol.

We Are The Pigs
Heroine
The Wild Ones
The Living Dead
My Dark Star
The Power
Killing Of A Flashboy
New Generation
Stay Together (Long version)
The 2 Of Us
Still Life
The Asphalt World (Long version)

Well yeah if you're gonna throw in the f***ing Stay Together stuff then it's a different ballgame...I mean, that EP is the best thing they did. I didn't include it because I was under the impression it didn't belong to those sessions.

Well yeah if you're gonna throw in the f***ing Stay Together stuff then it's a different ballgame...I mean, that EP is the best thing they did. I didn't include it because I was under the impression it didn't belong to those sessions.

Well, that's the thing...it technically doesn't belong to either album session. However, Anderson seems to consider the single part of Dog Man Star because when they played the whole album a few years ago, the whole single was tacked on to the album...and Anderson & Butler felt it was appropriate to add them on to the remastered reissue a few years ago. So, who am I to argue? :p

Well, that's the thing...it technically doesn't belong to either album session. However, Anderson seems to consider the single part of Dog Man Star because when they played the whole album a few years ago, the whole single was tacked on to the album...and Anderson & Butler felt it was appropriate to add them on to the remastered reissue a few years ago. So, who am I to argue? :p

Yeah I mean I guess it was the same band, same producer, recorded a matter of what, months apart? So yeah, I guess. I get hung up on details like that though.

Yeah I mean I guess it was the same band, same producer, recorded a matter of what, months apart? So yeah, I guess. I get hung up on details like that though.

8 months after the last Suede single & 7 months before Dog Man Star

8 months after the last Suede single & 7 months before Dog Man Star

To me it's analogous to the US edition of Meat Is Murder having How Soon Is Now on it, or if they had retroactively tacked on Shakespeare's Sister. They fit, but not really.

Back
Top Bottom