The Sisters of Mercy (Warning!Only remotely Morrissey related!)

M

Mimi

I went to see them here last night and had a real good time.... Of course it couldn't quite compete with seeing a Morrissey show, but I like a bit of wild lights, noisy guitars and smoke every now and again. INfact they had so much smoke it took me about half an hour to figure out that there was no drummer or bassist on stage. The two guitarists looked like twins except one of them was anorexic, and as usual Andrew Eldritch was a sight for sore eyes. It's cool to know he lives here in my town.

I only knew about half of the songs they played and was quite surprised to hear from hardcore fans after the show that Andrew Eldritch, though going under the name of a band, is in the same situation as Morrissey. He hasn't had a record deal for aaaages and the last official record came out eight years ago or so. All the "new" stuff consists of live bootlegs which are swapped amongst the fans. It's quite weird though and only possible because he's literally constantly touring. Of course that's whenever he's not hanging out in our local SPAR or going to St.Pauli football matches. This man has taste you know.

Seeing other artists always makes me realise what a brilliant performer Morrissey is.... I used to love his way of picking out individuals and addressing them personally, and of course the old handshake and hugging routine. It really makes you feel like you're receiving something for your money. Mr.Eldritch was quite unpersonal on stage, the most he'd do is smile occasionally which I guess means a lot. Buuuuuut - on the other hand people told me that on the Sisters "birthday gig" (20th stage anniversary) in Leeds a few weeks ago he personally handed out cake to the only 250 fans there after the show and took out time for a chat with everyone. I can't quite picture Moz doing that. But well... you can't have everything.

Well and here's the MOrrissey connection: most of you probably know this, but in case you don't, the Smiths once played support to the Sisters of Mercy way back when. But only for one show. And Moz and Andrew were born within two weeks of each other (Moz first). There you go.

It's too bad the Sisters did that whole VISION THING record. Although there were a few great tracks, like More and Ribbons or was it Ribbon? (sorry can't remember) They were quite a interesting group until Doctor Jeep & associates came along. Hey, did he play "ninewhilenine?" That song is just about perfect. Also, no record collection is complete without an EP or LP of theres, everyone try "FIRST AND LAST AND ALWAYS or REPTILE HOUSE, ep, I believe.

The Smiths and Sisters always sat next to each other on my shelf too

hnia

> It's too bad the Sisters did that whole VISION THING record.
> Although there were a few great tracks, like More and Ribbons or
> was it Ribbon? (sorry can't remember) They were quite a
> interesting group until Doctor Jeep & associates came along.
> Hey, did he play "ninewhilenine?" That song is just
> about perfect. Also, no record collection is complete without an
> EP or LP of theres, everyone try "FIRST AND LAST AND ALWAYS
> or REPTILE HOUSE, ep, I believe.

> The Smiths and Sisters always sat next to each other on my shelf
> too

> hnia

I really liked the Vision thing..... And First and Last and Always was the opening number which as you can imagine sent people into frenzy! Nilewhilenine? No idea, it might have been one of the songs I didn't know. I also quite enjoyed - though of course it's about as lame as Morrissey playing Suedehead - Temple of love which was the last encore. Good show.

> I really liked the Vision thing..... And First and Last and
> Always was the opening number which as you can imagine sent
> people into frenzy! Nilewhilenine? No idea, it might have been
> one of the songs I didn't know. I also quite enjoyed - though of
> course it's about as lame as Morrissey playing Suedehead -
> Temple of love which was the last encore. Good show.

Ninewhilenine is from the album, First and Last and Always! You must download it right away! Are you a napster user?

hnia

> Ninewhilenine is from the album, First and Last and Always! You
> must download it right away! Are you a napster user?

> hnia

Yes I am..... ok I'll put that one on my list as I was going to get some more Sisters stuff anyway. Thanks.

> Yes I am..... ok I'll put that one on my list as I was going to
> get some more Sisters stuff anyway. Thanks.

Coolio, I look forward to su opinionado!

hnia

Ok, I took your advice right away and got it. As usual I was kicked off half-session but it's enough to get an impression.... I like it! Veeeery 80ies, so ancient, I like the way he actually has an attempt at singing. I dunno, does Andrew write all the songs by himself? Well whoever does has such a great sense for melody, and this is another example for that. I love the Sister's way of having one melody leading through the whole song. And no, they didn't play it last night...

> Ok, I took your advice right away and got it. As usual I was
> kicked off half-session but it's enough to get an impression....
> I like it! Veeeery 80ies, so ancient, I like the way he actually
> has an attempt at singing. I dunno, does Andrew write all the
> songs by himself? Well whoever does has such a great sense for
> melody, and this is another example for that. I love the
> Sister's way of having one melody leading through the whole
> song. And no, they didn't play it last night...

Oh, only half? you must hear the dramatic ending. I don't know all the words, but he really gets into the last verse. I mean really gets into it...

I'm pretty sure he is the principal songwriter, but I'm not a big big fan, just an ancient one, hehe... Yes! there is something addictive about the melody, stay tuned.

Thanks for checking it out. The ending is the best part, *promise

~hnia

Glad to hear you had a good time at the show (though i can't say why, its not like *I* was personally responsible for the evening)

at any rate, have you heard their cover of pink floyd's comfortably numb as it segues into Some kind of Stranger (theirs)

its awesome. And even more incredible to see live...

Though I will agree with you, its a very very smokey show. The last time I saw them, most people were sitting down just enjoying the music. Its definately a different "form" of show....

-imacolata

http://www.imacolata.com

> that's whenever he's not hanging out in our local SPAR or going

he*s doing WHAT?!? Just tried to imagine running into AE while shopping instant soup..... myohmy, how scary....

> he*s doing WHAT?!? Just tried to imagine running into AE while
> shopping instant soup..... myohmy, how scary....

OH he does, he does!! It's the Spar on the Reeperbahn, which is pretty close to his flat apparantly. People also told me that he fell in love with a girl at the cheese counter..... (don't ask!)

Re: The Sisters of Mercy

> Hey did they play Marian?

No they didn't..... but Ribbons, which was awesome. (Shiver!)

Back
Top Bottom