The Severed Alliance

Currently sticking my teeth into 'The Severed Alliance' by the infamous Rogan. It is actually borderline scary how detailed this book is. Before he even gets to discussing Morrissey, we are already well aware of the state of Ireland in the mid-20th century. From noting Morrissey's father Peter's football pals, to commenting on how well Morrissey fared on St Mary's school Sports day...its scary how in depth Rogan goes.

Anyone a fan of this book?
Any nominee's for the best book written about The Smiths/Morrissey?

Johnny Marr said in recent interview that he's writing autobiography which I'm looking forward to reading.

Simon Goddard's "Songs That Saved Your Life" is better than Rogan's book.

Rogan could have provided his "opinion" on many aspects of Morrissey's personal life (Like many journalists have), but instead prevents a neutral opinion...

Which is what I admire most about the book....

Currently sticking my teeth into 'The Severed Alliance' by the infamous Rogan. It is actually borderline scary how detailed this book is. Before he even gets to discussing Morrissey, we are already well aware of the state of Ireland in the mid-20th century. From noting Morrissey's father Peter's football pals, to commenting on how well Morrissey fared on St Mary's school Sports day...its scary how in depth Rogan goes.

Anyone a fan of this book?
Any nominee's for the best book written about The Smiths/Morrissey?

I have this book, but as with most of my things i read, even about Moz, my attention span wavers - so i will try and get back to it soon - got 30 pages in.

I agree, the book is marvelously in depth, and as you say, before you even get started hardly you are aware of Ireland of his fathers time.

My favourite bit of the book so far though is at the near begining bits, where he is describing Morrisseys movements on stage - hands on hips, fingers across face and falls on the floor type stuff. The way Rogan describes these movements and his stage presence actually took my breath away, quite literally. Amazing.

Last edited:
i liked the parts about his teenage years the best. but honestly, i hardly remember anything i read in it. even after i finished reading it, i still kept mixing up who played bass and drums. i've eventually got it down.

I know Morrissey hates Rogan ( wishing he'd see him in an M3 Pile Up) but I found that book so overly full of information on things I would have never even thought of, that it is my favorite book on Moz. :)

even after i finished reading it, i still kept mixing up who played bass and drums.

Bill Wyman played bass, Ringo was on drums:guitar::D

Seriously, I met Mike Joyce years ago and asked him about the book. He said he didn't know much about Morrissey's pre Smiths years to say if it was accurate or not, but in terms of the 5 years The Smiths were alive, he had it recorded very accurately, he was amazed how he managed to achieve it considering he was not there with the band once.

As for best book, I do like 'Panic On The Streets' a lot.;)

Jukebox Jury

Rogan's book is outstanding, some infelicities of style aside. It is the best biography. Goddard's is the best guide to the music. "Peepholism" covers everything else.

As for best book, I do like 'Panic On The Streets' a lot.;)Jukebox Jury

So are you the author, then? Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I just got it in the mail from Amazon UK and it's impressive.

So are you the author, then? Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I just got it in the mail from Amazon UK and it's impressive.

Thanks, I'll let the author know, he is a good friend of mine;)

Jukebox Jury

I've also got a book about Johnny Marr, called "Marr - The Smiths and The Art of Gun Slinging", HMV for a fiver, thats my next read :)

Personally i really liked Saint Morrissey by Mark Simpson - mostly because it is so fawning and utterly favourable and sympathetic. Not a negative comment in the whole thing.

I agree Rogans book provides more balance.

Didnt Morrissey say he had his own autobiography coming - "there are are few chapters still open" or words to that affect?

Personally i really liked Saint Morrissey by Mark Simpson - mostly because it is so fawning and utterly favourable and sympathetic. Not a negative comment in the whole thing.

I agree Rogans book provides more balance.

Didnt Morrissey say he had his own autobiography coming - "there are are few chapters still open" or words to that affect?

I didn't enjoy reading Saint Morrissey that much... It was so over the top. Clearly the author is a huge Morrissey fan but there are limits to fawning...

I did read a translation and not the original version so that may have affected my opinion of the book. When I get a chance I'll read it in English. Maybe my opinion will change, who knows...

Last edited:
Simon Goddard's "Songs That Saved Your Life" is better than Rogan's book.

Kewpie

As I've said previously - it's comparing apples with oranges: they're both fruits, but have otherwise got little in common. I agree with Worm that Goddard provides the best guide to the music, but Rogan can be a more satisfying read in some ways, if you know what you are going to get. I also think Simpson's book - which I've just started to re-read - is wonderful, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Mike

Bill Wyman played bass, Ringo was on drums:guitar::D

Seriously, I met Mike Joyce years ago and asked him about the book. He said he didn't know much about Morrissey's pre Smiths years to say if it was accurate or not, but in terms of the 5 years The Smiths were alive, he had it recorded very accurately, he was amazed how he managed to achieve it considering he was not there with the band once.

As for best book, I do like 'Panic On The Streets' a lot.;)

Jukebox Jury

Seeing as how most of the book is about Morrissey and Marr's relationship and how they ran the band, I doubt Joyce is in a position to comment. I really don't think Joyce was involved in discussions about which record label to sign to, where they should tour, or who should be on the next single cover. He was probably in the pub at the time.

He has also said that it will probably never be published due to legal restrictions. I guess it would piss off a lot of different people.

I've also got a book about Johnny Marr, called "Marr - The Smiths and The Art of Gun Slinging", HMV for a fiver, thats my next read :)

I bought that a few months ago, but forgot about it until now....thanks for reminding me...., i'll have to find it, and put it somewhere i can't forget about it again :) Ahh, so many books to read, with only one pair of eyes.

Oh, and the only other moz/smiths book i have is MORRISSEY, SCANDAL AND PASSIONS, by David Bret. I enjoyed it at the time I read it, but I got that a few years ago, so my enjoyment of it could have been partly due to my new interest in Moz, and having such a lot of new info to read about him.

Severed Alliance is good on the detail and accuracy (as people have said, perhaps scarily so).

But did anyone else find it a bit dry?

I have read better biographies. Perhaps none that were better researched, but ones that have conveyed more excitement (and not at the expense of accuracy).

But did anyone else find it a bit dry?

I did. I found it dull in many places. But I actually count that a virtue, because most Smiths/Morrissey biographies or pieces of criticism go in the opposite direction: torrents of fake style, half-assed mythmaking, and glib plagiarisms. Rogan approached the subject with sobriety and due diligence, which is much-needed.

Back
Top Bottom