"The Rise, The Fall, and The Rise" by Brix Smith Start - Morrissey mentions

Thanks to Uncleskinny for providing the main excerpts:

Mark had been losing patience with Rough Trade and decided we had to look for a new record label. There were a few reasons Mark had soured on them, but the main one was that The Smiths had arrived. This was a huge bone of contention. When he was younger, Morrissey used to write Mark long, fawning letters. Mark has them all saved. Morrissey was obsessed with The Fall and Mark. Mark would never call him Morrissey and would refer to him by his first name, Steven. The rumour was that they named themselves The Smiths after Mark, and that they loved The Fall so much they wanted to be on Rough Trade. One of their first gigs was supporting us.
It never even dawned on me that our smoking may have set off the alarm. As we were hurrying down the stairs to evacuate the hotel I ran into Morrissey. By this point I was having a full-blown anxiety attack, bordering on panic. The alarm was blaring and I was desperate to find Mark. I asked him, ‘Have you seen Mark?’ Morrissey responded in a dry, mean tone: ‘He’s probably upstairs, burning up in the fire.’ He thought it was funny, but I had no sense of humour right then. I was really worried about Mark’s wellbeing. I never spoke to Morrissey again. He was always so unfriendly, prickly and weird, whereas Johnny Marr was the loveliest, most friendly, genuine person.

A friend told me there are some mentions of Morrissey in The Rise, The Fall, and The Rise by Brix Smith Start (released July 15, 2016). Has anyone read the book?

39290_the_rise_the_fall_the_rise_by_brix_smith_start.jpg

Last edited:
They didn't ask anything at all interesting.
Lack of interest. Why they did interview them than in the first place?
:lbf:
The only interesting thing was Mozzers quip.
The rest of the book can go into the fire. :barf:

really? onto the fire ? I was thinking about getting a copy.

luv the Fall ! and Brix with her contribution to them was a wonderful period for the band. They and Mark should thank their lucky stars she came along. :cool:

This people and others are using and abusing Morrissey's name for promotion.

It's bad for both since it's too much evident and fake, like those reality shows where Peter Burns used to appear.

Last edited:
I don't believe Morrissey send writing letters to Mark Smith and save them, it's common knowledge Mark dislikes the Smiths, to write it most uplifting

and Quando, Frenk Rijkaard indeed loved the Smiths, he was at Jan Douwe Kroeske's morning show [when he was working as DJ by the VARA] and introduced some times people who gave their fave number, well it was Rubber Ring, Frenk chose...:thumb:

I don't believe Morrissey send writing letters to Mark Smith and save them, it's common knowledge Mark dislikes the Smiths, to write it most uplifting

and Quando, Frenk Rijkaard indeed loved the Smiths, he was at Jan Douwe Kroeske's morning show [when he was working as DJ by the VARA] and introduced some times people who gave their fave number, well it was Rubber Ring, Frenk chose...:thumb:

Please, for the love of God, cease your gibberish.

on the topic of names, brix smith smart is an absolutely terrible one. she might be cool (i really dont know), but her name isnt. is brix pronounced 'bricks' or 'bree'?

and i always thought it was because of the most obvious reason, namely patti and fred sonic smith

might be true, but Morrissey stated once, he was kinda bored with all those long bandnames at the punk new-wave period, and Smith
is a very common backname in Britttain, he choosed the Smiths, to be simple, but I don't bet 10 pence on it

[gibberish,46 scrabble points, thanks ]

This people and others are using and abusing Morrissey's name for promotion.

It's bad for both since it's too much evident and fake, like those reality shows where Peter Burns used to appear.

I see. So two substantive paragraphs mentioning Morrissey - in hundreds of pages - then picked up by David and me - and you count that as "..abusing Morrissey's name for promotion.". You are an utter lunatic and a dolt to boot.

I see. So two substantive paragraphs mentioning Morrissey - in hundreds of pages - then picked up by David and me - and you count that as "..abusing Morrissey's name for promotion.". You are an utter lunatic and a dolt to boot.

Maybe. I'm not an exception here.

"then picked up by David and me". In reality, David picked it up and told you to post it. Who dolt the game?

really? onto the fire ? I was thinking about getting a copy.

luv the Fall ! and Brix with her contribution to them was a wonderful period for the band. They and Mark should thank their lucky stars she came along. :cool:

Maybe it has to with that I am not really into The Fall or Mark Smith. They lack in musical variation and humor too.
One really good biting, hard and cynical song I can appreciate but not 6 or 7 albums full of them.

There is a difference with, for instance The Ramones which I really like cause they were desperate and funny too.
I do appreciate a lot of other bands from that great period in (English!) Pop/rock/punk music.
A period the English can be proud off, although they prefer to be modest as with all great things coming from that island.

The Jam, Echo and The Bunnyman, Scritty Politi, Orange Juice, Ride, Theatre of Hate, Madness, The Specials, etcetera, etcetera.
When Moz was entrapped in his Rockabilly phase, due to amongst others like Boz Boorer, Alain Whyte I got interested in that genre too and I still like it very much.
Cheers Ketamine Sun :thumb:

Now I have my own copy. Let's see. I'll read some pages later when I take my super clever mini-dog out for a walk. I expect a lot of drugs and self-destruction.

Now I have my own copy. Let's see. I'll read some pages later when I take my super clever mini-dog out for a walk. I expect a lot of drugs and self-destruction.

Let your super clever mini-dog do with the book whatever it wants to do with it, after you read the book.
He or she might as well pee on it.

Possibly the weirdest thing I have ever written, but if you get the chance, Google an image of Mark E Smith's tongue. Seriously, it will give you nightmares.

I saw an interview with Brix on a BBC 4 documentary a few months ago. She came across ok and seemed relatively unscathed by some horrific relationship choices...and I don't mean Mark.

Possibly the weirdest thing I have ever written, but if you get the chance, Google an image of Mark E Smith's tongue. Seriously, it will give you nightmares.

I saw an interview with Brix on a BBC 4 documentary a few months ago. She came across ok and seemed relatively unscathed by some horrific relationship choices...and I don't mean Mark.

tumblr_noqsqeCgpT1qb3wuho1_1280.jpg

Should be the cover of a book. Editors don't have imagination.

Maybe. I'm not an exception here.

But countthree, do you really think the information posted by Uncleskinny is that harmful? I don't.

I like Morrissey's quip and don't believe about the name deriding from Mark E. Smith. They should have called themselves The E. Smiths than. Everyone would be asking about the E. :ha-no:

I like it that you are protective and want to defend him.
I have to state again DavidT and Uncleskinny post ALL info they can lay their hands on. Don't shoot the messenger(s).
Sometimes I don't like the info, but many times I do cause they post a lot of interesting and also very positive things as well.
If there is a hidden agenda to damage him would they do that? I don't believe that. But I do respect your opinion as I always did.
:tiphat:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom