"The Rise, The Fall, and The Rise" by Brix Smith Start - Morrissey mentions

Thanks to Uncleskinny for providing the main excerpts:

Mark had been losing patience with Rough Trade and decided we had to look for a new record label. There were a few reasons Mark had soured on them, but the main one was that The Smiths had arrived. This was a huge bone of contention. When he was younger, Morrissey used to write Mark long, fawning letters. Mark has them all saved. Morrissey was obsessed with The Fall and Mark. Mark would never call him Morrissey and would refer to him by his first name, Steven. The rumour was that they named themselves The Smiths after Mark, and that they loved The Fall so much they wanted to be on Rough Trade. One of their first gigs was supporting us.
It never even dawned on me that our smoking may have set off the alarm. As we were hurrying down the stairs to evacuate the hotel I ran into Morrissey. By this point I was having a full-blown anxiety attack, bordering on panic. The alarm was blaring and I was desperate to find Mark. I asked him, ‘Have you seen Mark?’ Morrissey responded in a dry, mean tone: ‘He’s probably upstairs, burning up in the fire.’ He thought it was funny, but I had no sense of humour right then. I was really worried about Mark’s wellbeing. I never spoke to Morrissey again. He was always so unfriendly, prickly and weird, whereas Johnny Marr was the loveliest, most friendly, genuine person.

A friend told me there are some mentions of Morrissey in The Rise, The Fall, and The Rise by Brix Smith Start (released July 15, 2016). Has anyone read the book?

39290_the_rise_the_fall_the_rise_by_brix_smith_start.jpg

Last edited:
"The alarm was blaring and I was desperate to find Mark. I asked him, ‘Have you seen Mark?’ Morrissey responded in a dry, mean tone: ‘He’s probably upstairs, burning up in the fire.’ He thought it was funny, but I had no sense of humour right then. I was really worried about Mark’s wellbeing. I never spoke to Morrissey again. He was always so unfriendly, prickly and weird, whereas Johnny Marr was the loveliest, most friendly, genuine person."

This is hilarious. For all the shit that Morrissey gets for being "weird," it doesn't at all compare to Mark E Smith's asshole-ery. I also love that Brix muses on the idea that the Smiths named themselves after Mark. I'm sure that's something that Mark told her.

"The alarm was blaring and I was desperate to find Mark. I asked him, ‘Have you seen Mark?’ Morrissey responded in a dry, mean tone: ‘He’s probably upstairs, burning up in the fire.’ He thought it was funny, but I had no sense of humour right then. I was really worried about Mark’s wellbeing. I never spoke to Morrissey again. He was always so unfriendly, prickly and weird, whereas Johnny Marr was the loveliest, most friendly, genuine person."

This is hilarious. For all the shit that Morrissey gets for being "weird," it doesn't at all compare to Mark E Smith's asshole-ery. I also love that Brix muses on the idea that the Smiths named themselves after Mark. I'm sure that's something that Mark told her.

Yeah I'm not a fall fan but I read about them when I do across an article and he comes off like a very puffed up curmudgeon at times. Not saying hes a terrible person but he does seem like he'd be frustrating to talk to

Oh great another effing book on The Fall. This time by the ex who went on to marry Nigel Kennedy. Ffs.
Does Johan Cruyff's autobiography mention Morrissey as every other biography out this year seemingly does.

He's an ass and she's like something from the effin' Bangles. No wonder Mozz came across the way he did.

I love The Fall, but I think it's so bizarre that Morrissey somehow managed to come off as "weird" to a woman who was married to Mark E. Smith.

dont think its doing Morrissey a disservice,i think its a very kind of british thing to say hes upstairs burning in the fire.when people ask me hows your pal I say he died in his sleep last night.maybe it just me.

Is Moz a Fall fan? That's news to me.

He's had them on his intro tape more than once.
But if they named themselves after a Smith it sure as hell was Patti!

Don't believe a f***ing word of any of that crap. She was "friends" with a lot of my friends in the chicago rockabilly scene in the early 80s. She was a star-f***ing kook then and apparently she still is. I'd like to see those "fawning letters" because I have never heard Morrissey mention the fall once.

I mean, I have nothing against Brix, but I do find her comments to be petty. She tells these anecdotes as if they're supposed to be some sort of damning revelation about Morrissey, but it's nothing new. Moz can be a dick, but I actually find his response to be quite funny. I'm astonished that someone who was intimate with Mark E. Smith couldn't have a more sinister sense of humor.

Don't believe a f***ing word of any of that crap. She was "friends" with a lot of my friends in the chicago rockabilly scene in the early 80s. She was a star-f***ing kook then and apparently she still is. I'd like to see those "fawning letters" because I have never heard Morrissey mention the fall once.

I've definitely heard stuff about Moz (and Marr) being a pretty big Fall fan back in the day, I absolutely believe that he wrote Mark letters, but I totally agree with you about Brix. Her motivations are more than a little suspect.

Oh great another effing book on The Fall. This time by the ex who went on to marry Nigel Kennedy. Ffs.
Does Johan Cruyff's autobiography mention Morrissey as every other biography out this year seemingly does.

No.
I will ask Frank Rijkaard to name him and the Smiths in his autobiography cause I' ve once read an interview he was a fan.
Or at least liked their music at the time very much so.

It was just some years before he received the red card in the match Holland against West Germany due to spitting.
When it happened I thought he must have had " Still I'll " on repeat of his walkman due to the lines " Ask me why and I'll spit in your eye ". :squiffy:

I'm glad these interviewers didn't ask when the Smiths are going to reunite ! oh wait, never mind.

and to the others..... BRIX RULEZ!!! bad news girl ;)

They didn't ask anything at all interesting.
Lack of interest. Why they did interview them than in the first place?

There is no such thing as bad news.
Just news. But I agree the so-called bad news is something people are more interested in than the good news.
Every journalist knows bad news sells better than good news.
The only interesting thing was Mozzers quip.
The rest of the book can go into the fire. :barf:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom