"The Rise, The Fall, and The Rise" by Brix Smith Start - Morrissey mentions

Thanks to Uncleskinny for providing the main excerpts:

Mark had been losing patience with Rough Trade and decided we had to look for a new record label. There were a few reasons Mark had soured on them, but the main one was that The Smiths had arrived. This was a huge bone of contention. When he was younger, Morrissey used to write Mark long, fawning letters. Mark has them all saved. Morrissey was obsessed with The Fall and Mark. Mark would never call him Morrissey and would refer to him by his first name, Steven. The rumour was that they named themselves The Smiths after Mark, and that they loved The Fall so much they wanted to be on Rough Trade. One of their first gigs was supporting us.
It never even dawned on me that our smoking may have set off the alarm. As we were hurrying down the stairs to evacuate the hotel I ran into Morrissey. By this point I was having a full-blown anxiety attack, bordering on panic. The alarm was blaring and I was desperate to find Mark. I asked him, ‘Have you seen Mark?’ Morrissey responded in a dry, mean tone: ‘He’s probably upstairs, burning up in the fire.’ He thought it was funny, but I had no sense of humour right then. I was really worried about Mark’s wellbeing. I never spoke to Morrissey again. He was always so unfriendly, prickly and weird, whereas Johnny Marr was the loveliest, most friendly, genuine person.

A friend told me there are some mentions of Morrissey in The Rise, The Fall, and The Rise by Brix Smith Start (released July 15, 2016). Has anyone read the book?

39290_the_rise_the_fall_the_rise_by_brix_smith_start.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon who the hell is Johan Cruff?

Ignoring your deliberate typo, you lazy ignorant bastard, I'd say Johan Cruyff was one of the very few greatest football players of all time, in my opinion the greatest but I'm biased cause he was from my country. If I could not vote for him I'd say George Best.

I do understand your preference for all sports as long as they are American cause I wouldn't know any American football player.
Not interested. As you are not interested in real football.
To call it Soccer says all, sucker. :)

If you want to learn English it's "David and I" not "David and me" just so you know :)

If you're going to try to correct other people's English, you might want to get to grips with commas and full stops.

Maybe it has to with that I am not really into The Fall or Mark Smith. They lack in musical variation and humor too.
One really good biting, hard and cynical song I can appreciate but not 6 or 7 albums full of them.

There is a difference with, for instance The Ramones which I really like cause they were desperate and funny too.
I do appreciate a lot of other bands from that great period in (English!) Pop/rock/punk music.
A period the English can be proud off, although they prefer to be modest as with all great things coming from that island.

The Jam, Echo and The Bunnyman, Scritty Politi, Orange Juice, Ride, Theatre of Hate, Madness, The Specials, etcetera, etcetera.
When Moz was entrapped in his Rockabilly phase, due to amongst others like Boz Boorer, Alain Whyte I got interested in that genre too and I still like it very much.
Cheers Ketamine Sun :thumb:

'The Jam, Echo and The Bunnyman, Scritty Politi, Orange Juice, Ride, Theatre of Hate, Madness, The Specials,'

well I don't much care for any of those bands, so there ! :lbf:

but I do like The Specials K ! ;)

but really it boggles my mind when someone says they don't like the Fall or they don't find M.E.Smith funny. I find his mind ( or whats left of it) insightful frightful and hilarious. And all the genius that has rolled off that tongue in spite of it's condition(don't know what that's about! :lbf:) he should have been knighted long ago just so we could hear his refusal speech which would have been all mumbled cryptic and spot on.

LONGLIVEMARKESMITH
!!!!!!!!!!! :tonguewink::triumph::tonguewink::triumph::tonguewink::praying:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'The Jam, Echo and The Bunnyman, Scritty Politi, Orange Juice, Ride, Theatre of Hate, Madness, The Specials,'

well I don't much care for any of those bands, so there !

but really it boggles my mind when someone says they don't like the Fall or they don't find M.E.Smith funny. I find his mind ( or whats left of it) insightful frightful and hilarious. And all the genius that has rolled off that tongue in spite of it's condition(don't know what that's about! :lbf:) he should have been knighted long ago just so we could hear his refusal speech which would have been all mumbled cryptic and spot on.

LONGLIVEMARKESMITH
!!!!!!!!!!! :tonguewink::triumph::tonguewink::triumph::tonguewink::praying:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just I don't get it. You do.
Forgot to add Siouxsie and the Banshees.
May I be forgiven to put them in the category etcetera by mistake. :pray:
(I hate to use the abbreviation etc. Those few more characters to type aren't going to do me any wrong) Or are they?
Cheers Ketamine Sun
PS
You've added too many smileys and now I can't use them to reply :head-smack:

It's just I don't get it. You do.
Forgot to add Siouxsie and the Banshees. PS
You've added too many smileys and now I can't use them to reply :head-smack:

really ? that's weird. Got to do that more often ! :lbf: ;)

yes THE BANSHEES !!! :thumb:

see! you do have good taste ! ;) :).

but the Fall go beyond punk!, beyond post punk!, beyond ! beyond ! they can't be categorized !!! which I guess is very.... punk.

really ? that's weird. Got to do that more often ! :lbf: ;)

yes THE BANSHEES !!! :thumb:

see! you do have good taste ! ;) :).

but the Fall go beyond punk!, beyond post punk!, beyond ! beyond ! they can't be categorized !!! which I guess is very.... punk.

Agree with you about my good taste in music ;)
By the way, when I tried to add the smileys in a reply to your post I got this site message saying I was not allowed to put more than 10 in it. But I had only 3 or 4!
Found a workaround by removing some of your's. :p

Agree with you about my good taste in music ;)
By the way, when I tried to add the smileys in a reply to your post I got this site message saying I was not allowed to put more than 10 in it. But I had only 3 or 4! Found a workaround by removing some of your's. :p

:mad: :swear !!!! I'm gonna get you !!!:rage: ;)

If you want to learn English it's "David and I" not "David and me" just so you know :)
no, actually, 'i' would be incorrect. because if you look at the sentence it's "picked up by david and me", and if you were to get rid of "david and" you'd be left with "picked up by me". changed that 'me' to 'i' and you'd be left with "picked up by i", which you wouldnt very well say. at least i hope not. im not quite sure if a person would be correct in saying "picked up by me" either, though. wouldnt it possibly be "picked up by myself", or might you possibly have to change the sentence around altogether to "which david and i picked up", in which case 'i' would finally be correct. i dont know. english is hard. maybe one of the english as second language people here can set us straight.

well I don't much care for any of those bands, so there ! :lbf:

LONGLIVEMARKESMITH
this makes me feel like i should find out who he is

no, actually, 'i' would be incorrect. because if you look at the sentence it's "picked up by david and me", and if you were to get rid of "david and" you'd be left with "picked up by me". changed that 'me' to 'i' and you'd be left with "picked up by i", which you wouldnt very well say. at least i hope not. im not quite sure if a person would be correct in saying "picked up by me" either, though. wouldnt it possibly be "picked up by myself", or might you possibly have to change the sentence around altogether to "which david and i picked up", in which case 'i' would finally be correct. i dont know. english is hard. maybe one of the english as second language people here can set us straight.

I didn't know " David and me" could be " wrong".
Marred has making me uncertain and doubtful about myself.
That is not bad but now I need to find out cause I want to be as correct as possible.
You are making things worse for me. :ha-no:
You little devil rabbit you.:head-smack:

But countthree, do you really think the information posted by Uncleskinny is that harmful? I don't.

I like Morrissey's quip and don't believe about the name deriding from Mark E. Smith. They should have called themselves The E. Smiths than. Everyone would be asking about the E. :ha-no:

I like it that you are protective and want to defend him.
I have to state again DavidT and Uncleskinny post ALL info they can lay their hands on. Don't shoot the messenger(s).
Sometimes I don't like the info, but many times I do cause they post a lot of interesting and also very positive things as well.
If there is a hidden agenda to damage him would they do that? I don't believe that. But I do respect your opinion as I always did.
:tiphat:

If you read my original post, I said nothing about Uncleskinny or David. I was talking about the writer and other people. She said the name of The Smiths was inspired by her band, and there's a video where Morrissey says it was inspired by other things. That's why I said some people use his name. Of course I could be completly wrong, but that would mean Morrissey lied to those children. That's hard to believe.

Of course Uncleskinny jumped to make an unnecessary defense of himself and David, creating the impression I was talking about them, when I was not.

On a different note, I'm reading the book and the writer seems to be the kind of woman Morrissey would befriend. Maybe they are best friends now. Or not, but they could. It's unbelievable the way that woman was mistreated by her family during her childhood. What a nightmare, poor child. That explains EVERYTHING.

If you read my original post, I said nothing about Uncleskinny or David. I was talking about the writer and other people. She said the name of The Smiths was inspired by her band, and there's a video where Morrissey says it was inspired by other things. That's why I said some people use his name. Of course I could be completly wrong, but that would mean Morrissey lied to those children. That's hard to believe.

Of course Uncleskinny jumped to make an unnecessary defense of himself and David, creating the impression I was talking about them, when I was not.

On a different note, I'm reading the book and the writer seems to be the kind of woman Morrissey would befriend. Maybe they are best friends now. Or not, but they could. It's unbelievable the way that woman was mistreated by her family during her childhood. What a nightmare, poor child. That explains EVERYTHING.
he also said in the larry king interview that they chose the name to avoid becoming pigeonholed, because it could be applied to anything. that, and the reason he gave in the video you posted seem much more likely to me than this womans claims (although, honestly, i wouldn't expect morrissey to be anything other than glib when answering questions asked him by a horde of nauseating schoolchildren).

he also said in the larry king interview that they chose the name to avoid becoming pigeonholed, because it could be applied to anything. that, and the reason he gave in the video you posted seem much more likely to me than this womans claims (although, honestly, i wouldn't expect morrissey to be anything other than glib when answering questions asked him by a horde of nauseating schoolchildren).

Yes, you are right. Anyway, he seemed very comfortable with those children and he gifted them a very nice message.

Last edited:
Id of thought so 2!

Those who have suffered, understand suffering, and thereby extend their hand
the storm that brings harm also makes fertile
blessed is the grass and herb and the true thorn and the light

I was lost in a valley of pleasure.
I was lost in the infinite sea.
I was lost, and measure for measure,
love spewed from the heart of me.
I was lost, and the cost didn't matter to me.
I was lost, and the cost was to be outside society.

Jimi Hendrix was a n*****.
Jesus Christ and Grandma, too.
Jackson Pollock was a n*****.
n*****, n*****, n*****, n*****,
n*****, n*****, n*****. - PATTI SMITH :)

The greatest poet that have ever lived ! oh and she happens to be a fantastic fine art artist 2, its how her incredible journey began!!!!
But the greatest singer Is, obviously and of course ! Our ever own miss Young!
Gorgeous vocals as sweet as the nightingales !
:)

Great poem indeed MIDNITE.
Still struggling though to really appreciate Kristeen Young.
If you don't mind me saying so.
There is something about her I like but I can't really say yet what it is and there are things about her music I still get a nervous and unpleasant feeling of. It's strange.
I do like her style of clothing.
Maybe it has to grow on me.
But sometimes I have to get rid of things that grow on me.
I've not decided yet to really like or dislike her music.
I hope you CAN forgive me.

No it's not you bogan. Skinny's use of 'me' as opposed to 'I' is correct. I don't have the patience to explain that to a thick Aussie.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom