The Radio Dept call out Morrissey on new single “Going Down Swinging”

UPDATE:

The Radio Dept call out Morrissey on politically charged single “Going Down Swinging” (listen) - Brooklyn Vegan

Excerpt:

The Radio Dept. have shared a new single, “Going Down Swinging.”

...Like usual, The Radio Department sing softly but carry a big stick, and the song contains the following verse:

These church bells
I love what they say
Nazis should be dealt with like in Normandie
Only inbreds join an alt right parade
Someone please tell that to Morrissey

Came across this today when pulling up Bowie’s Boys Keep Swinging. YouTube must have jumped in a “swinging” theme. Decided to give it a listen and discovered Moz reference in the lyrics.

Radio Dept - Going Down Swinging

Church bells are ringing today
God is on the right side for once
We will go down swinging you say
Oh to die at the hands of a fascist dunce

These church bells
I love what they say
Nazis should be dealt with like in Normandie
Only inbreds join an alt right parade
Someone please tell that to Morrissey

Going down swinging now
Going down swinging now
Going down swinging now

Church bells are ringing today
God is on the right side for once
We will go down swinging you say
But I never fought anyone
I just got beat up you see
Can't give that pleasure to a nazi devotee

Going down swinging now
Going down swinging now
Going down swinging now

Do the right thing now
When you're in that moment
Do the right thing now
In your heart you know it
You're not fooling anyone
You know this is for real
We will go down swinging you see
Oh to die at the hands of the fascist dogs

Last edited by a moderator:
my 12 old nephew can do this on his casio synth for kids

but indeed Action is has the early period of Kraftwerk, Gary Numan and Depeche Mode [when Vince clarke was in]...but at that time it was different, now I find it easy made to the 'stab Morrissey in the back' hype

Have a great Wednesday all,and be carefull outside

This song is definitely an antifa anthem.

It's a lot like this song, "Bash the Fash," written by an LBGTQAAI2QA1+ activist and proud antifa member:

We get drunk and we get pumped! Fascists running scared cos they gonna get thumped! And we ain’t gonna stop till we dump the Trump!

Yeah, yeah – bash the fash! Cos’ America ain’t nothing but a bunch of white trash!

Hell, yeah – bash the fash! Cos’ we ain’t gonna stop until we see the system crash!

The KKK ain’t got nowhere to stay – when antifa’s running through your hood you ain’t got nothing to say! Nazis, pigs and racists better get out of our way! Cos’ we don’t give a f*** and we will never obey!

Yeah, yeah – bash the fash! Cos’ America ain’t nothing but a bunch of white trash!

Hell, yeah – bash the fash! Cos’ we ain’t gonna stop until we see the system crash!

Racist, sexist, homophobic trash is on the run, cos’ until Antifa’s bashed ’em all, we ain’t never gon’ be done! And we ain’t gonna stop till the battle is won, cos’ until these fascists die we ain’t gon’ never be one!

going down swinging, more like a big swinging dick,not for me.

they sound like a buncha drips. musically, I mean.

You think normality is laughing at little kids being blown to smithereens in the Manchester Bombing, so kindly f*** off down some stairs so you break your neck

It's quite extraordinary in its all-round awfulness. I would love to have seen his face the first time he heard it. Frankly, it's not surprising they're no longer speaking.
Honestly, I find her contributions to music really lightweight and inconsequential, and I never got Morrissey's reverence.

Honestly, I find her contributions to music really lightweight and inconsequential, and I never got Morrissey's reverence.
I think it's to do with her part in sixties British popular culture (as with Lulu/Cilla). She had a GREAT look - very stylised, very much of its time. She did have a good voice, and one or two good songs that were well-produced (Bacharach/David's Always Something There to Remind Me is terrific). Plus, something Americans won't get, but she WON the Eurovision Song Contest for us! That alone endears her to a whole generation (even though the song was really annoying). Eurovision aside, the cultural stuff you grow up with (good and bad) stays with you - but I think it stayed with Morrissey more than usual, judging from all the references to songs and TV shows from his childhood in Autobio. I get the impression those early memories are very vivid for him and remained important years later - though maybe for other reasons besides just musical.

Last edited:
Well PSB had snatched up Dusty Springfield :blushing: Tammy Wynette was hanging with KLF :guitar:prolly too country for Moz anyhoo :oops: & Petula Clark said no :o so he got Sandie Shaw :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom