"The Queen's Speech": Morrissey on 2009, TTY

dizzywhore_1804

A big-nose who knows...
http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_091216_01

Statement from Morrissey to True-to-you
16 December 2009

Statement from Morrissey to True-to-you

On these last days of the old year, I thank everyone who attended the 2009 concerts.
My personal favorites were:

1 Dublin
2 Dusseldorf
3 Munich
4 Pomona
5 Warsaw

The three Brixton concerts were dramatic and perfect for me, and there was a great air of adventure in both Estonia and Latvia. The Russian concerts were a big thrill, but in the absence of even a speckle of publicity .. it's difficult. You begin to feel as if you're playing to a private club - and, in fact, you are. We pondered on the massive poster-campaigns for others and we wondered how such things become possible. The audiences in Russia were loud and greatly inspiring.
Hope denied in Liverpool, and the physical limits were tipped in Swindon – these were life's unfortunate lows.
I spent the night at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon where the staff restored my faith in humanity. I had no idea such kindness existed.
There were more stop-start-trap-doors and cancellations this year than ever before, and it's difficult to keep your mental balance and to remain unclouded at such times. Since every living person appeared to have some strain of flu, there seemed no reason why I should escape it, and I could not listen to medical advice that cautioned me to stand back from the audience and not to shake anyone's hand. Life has come to this? By tours' end I had no face worth rearranging.

The landscape of familiar faces who have replaced the Irregular Regulars, and who attend as many of the concerts as possible, continue to astound me. I don't know how – or even why – they attend so many. It is remarkable, and the financial costs must wipe them out for good. I am repeatedly honored and speechless by their dedication.
There are no 2010 plans to fire me out of a cannon. Hopes of concerts in New Zealand and Australia collapsed under a mound of doubts. That's life.
Even though you see the death of culture all around you, you also want to raise whatever it is you do to a higher plane, yet there is no one, it seems, who can inch the Morrissey thing forwards. As we all now know, the world of music is purely market-driven – not even youth-driven anymore. Talent or merit or songs do not enter the equation for a split second; the campaign is the thing, the campaign is what is discussed amongst the public, the campaign is what impresses the press, and the songs are never a factor. The labels will only push the "artists" that they themselves have discovered, and have no interest in the self-made, blah, blah. But my parting with Universal is not a negative. I am sorry that "Swords" was such a meek disaster. It was proposed and accepted as a budget-priced CD, yet emerged everywhere as the most expensive CD in the racks. It was poorly distributed and didn't stand a chance, and ranks as the lowest chart position I've ever encountered. I remain steadfastly proud of "Years of refusal", which along with "You are the quarry" and "Ringleader of the tormentors" are my life's peaks. These three will allow me to die in peace. I am no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me.
I was delighted at the radio airplay in England for "I'm throwing my arms around Paris", which seemed to match both "Suedehead" and "That's how people grow up" singles for rotation.
However, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris" did not chart in France! ... but everything has its time and place...

What does the future hold? What does the next minute hold? It all rests as ever on determination – that which springs from somewhere deeper than the body. Record label interest is zero, but the sun will creep back into the room one way or another. It always does.

Small and bowed, I offer you my eternal thanks, and my hopes for a steady 2010, full of good grace and no darkness.

MORRISSEY
London, December 2009.

Interesting that 'Swords' was only meant to be a mid-priced budget release. I think we could have all been happy with that, and it would have addressed all the money-grabbing complaints?

More saddenning that he thinks YoR is among the best things he's ever done.

I remain steadfastly proud of "Years of refusal", which along with "You are the quarry" and "Ringleader of the tormentors" are my life's peaks. These three will allow me to die in peace. I am no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me.

:tears:

Re:Morrissey on 2009, TTY

I find the title of the thread is rather distatsteful.

Interesting that 'Swords' was only meant to be a mid-priced budget release. I think we could have all been happy with that, and it would have addressed all the money-grabbing complaints?

More saddenning that he thinks YoR is among the best things he's ever done.

:tears:

All artists have to claim that their latest album is their best work to date.

I don't like YOR very much, but look forward to arrival of Morrissey's 10th studio album sometime in 2011 or 2012.

Good to see Morrissey's grateful to the medical staff of Great Western Hospital. :)

Re: Morrissey on 2009, TTY

I find the title of the thread is rather distatsteful.

All artists have to claim that their latest album is their best work to date.

I don't like YOR very much, but look forward to arrival of Morrissey's 10th studio album sometime in 2011 or 2012.

Good to see Morrissey's grateful to the medical staff of Great Western Hospital. :)

I find it rather funny. Can't be held responsible for taste, or other people's lack of it ;)

I realise he's still promoting YoR, but the fact the last three have been about diminishing returns is what worries me, as well as the quite finalistic "I am no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me". I want Morrissey to release another masterpiece but if he truly believes that "Sorry Doesn't Help" is among one of his best moments then we're all in for a lot of disappointment.

Edit: Was happy to see thanks to the hospital too.

YOR was excellent, what's so bad about it?

What was so bad about it was that there was nothing of real excitement on there. We've absolutely heard it all before. A lot of the songs are quite well crafted pop songs, but there are people making much better pop songs than him at the moment. It was neither "pop" enough to make it a good, fun pop record, nor insightful enough to raise it above that. It was distinctly average and underwhelming.

Thank you for this, Morrissey.

"There are no 2010 plans to fire me out of a cannon"...I don't exactly know what that might mean in particular, but i'm still hoping for some gigs.

It was great to (roughly) see things from his perspective. After so many incidents this year that remained unexplained it was great to read this. :)

I find it rather funny. Can't be held responsible for taste, or other people's lack of it ;)

I realise he's still promoting YoR, but the fact the last three have been about diminishing returns is what worries me, as well as the quite finalistic "I am no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me". I want Morrissey to release another masterpiece but if he truly believes that "Sorry Doesn't Help" is among one of his best moments then we're all in for a lot of disappointment.

Edit: Was happy to see thanks to the hospital too.

What was so bad about it was that there was nothing of real excitement on there. We've absolutely heard it all before. A lot of the songs are quite well crafted pop songs, but there are people making much better pop songs than him at the moment. It was neither "pop" enough to make it a good, fun pop record, nor insightful enough to raise it above that. It was distinctly average and underwhelming.

listen to them instead?

I disagree. But that's what opinions are for. ;)

I am, don't worry. LOADS more than YoR as well.

It's just we all know how utterly amazing Morrissey can be, so when he's not it is devastating.

It's not by any means his worst album, though!

got any artists you'd like to recommend? having a mass-ipod update day

I disagree. But that's what opinions are for. ;)

It's funny isn't it, because I absolutely believe that YoR is one of the worst albums of Morrissey's career - not because there is anything that bad on there, but because it is absolutely tired and uninspiring. The songs are nice enough to listen to, but they don't mean anything much to me. At the same time some people think it's the best thing he's ever done - I say to those people :crazy:

;)

It's not by any means his worst album, though!

got any artists you'd like to recommend? having a mass-ipod update day

Going through a very commercial (Gaga, Lily Allen, PSB) pop phase at the moment, can understand if some people don't like it, but check out my last.fm below.

Become a bit disillusioned with "alternative/indie" music at the moment, but if someone could recommend me stuff then I'd appreciate it...probably in another forum though, I've already been told off for trying to be funny in this thread.

So which bit will be picked up by the rest of the music blogs to portray it as another Morrissey rant? The Universal bit? The bit about catching flu from fans?

YOR and ROTT are, for me, pinnacles of Morrissey's solo output, along with YA and Maladjusted. As always, these things are completely subjective.

And Dublin was indeed one hell of a gig. :thumb:

Last edited:

Going through a very commercial (Gaga, Lily Allen, PSB) pop phase at the moment, can understand if some people don't like it, but check out my last.fm below.

Become a bit disillusioned with "alternative/indie" music at the moment, but if someone could recommend me stuff then I'd appreciate it...probably in another forum though, I've already been told off for trying to be funny in this thread.

I'll add you on last.fm, don't have to accept if you don't want to, though :D

and i'll give you a few artists names that i'm enjoying at the moment

wow. I'm too bloody sensitive :tears: (I'm not going to apologize for that) It just moved me. I thank him for writing something for/to us.:D (I'm feeling too many emotions at the same time atm)

Last edited:

It's funny isn't it, because I absolutely believe that YoR is one of the worst albums of Morrissey's career - not because there is anything that bad on there, but because it is absolutely tired and uninspiring. The songs are nice enough to listen to, but they don't mean anything much to me. At the same time some people think it's the best thing he's ever done - I say to those people :crazy:

;)

Yes it's rather funny, To me YOR isn't tired or uninspiring at all, I find it's a very deep, intense, inspiring, energetic and touching listening experience. I have listened to it so many times and I still don't find it boring.

That's just what it's like, we all have our own tastes and opinions. Luckily. :)

Oh, great. Very first thing in the morning and now I'm drying up tears before getting in the shower to go to work. :tears: I just love him to pieces. :sweet:

Back
Top Bottom