"The Queen is Dead"

The Seeker of Good Songs

It will happen one day and the queen will die. Will the breaking news interrupt begin with this song?
As with all celebrities, news organizations prep ahead of time for the news obituary...will this song get more airplay and a resurgance in sales? Will Morrissey be sought out by the news people for his take on the event an will he voice it?

It will happen one day and the queen will die. Will the breaking news interrupt begin with this song?
As with all celebrities, news organizations prep ahead of time for the news obituary...will this song get more airplay and a resurgance in sales? Will Morrissey be sought out by the news people for his take on the event an will he voice it?

Probably not. It will be all big feelings, "a tragic loss", "a mourning nation" etc etc etc.

Critical voices will be regarded with disdain.

I bloody hope so mate :thumb:

I don't think Queen's death will be showed up using "The Queen is dead" as background 'cos it sounds offensive tho her. But I'm pretty sure that TQID will be mentioned for the UK unofficial press or even world press like a protest song against monarchy regime. Perhaps it brings new fans down to the Smiths.

Re:

I don't think Queen's death will be showed up using "The Queen is dead" as background 'cos it sounds offensive tho her. But I'm pretty sure that TQID will be mentioned for the UK unofficial press or even world press like a protest song against monarchy regime. Perhaps it brings new fans down to the Smiths.

British monarchy does not have political power.
They are just a figurehead to perform some ceremonies such as opening the Parliament.

You should read some history books about Britain.

Re:

They are just a figurehead to perform some ceremonies such as opening the Parliament.

I thought it was Charles Dickens that wrote Scrooge. You know about being charitable at Christmas.

Maybe for the New Year Kewpie will make a resolution to stop being so condescending?

And the monarchy are just not a mere figurehead to perform ceremonies. Unless court cases are ceremonies

True. Although the royal family no longer have much direct political power, a lot of people still show a fair amount of reverence towards them, and the queen in particular, although I suspect some of the time this is as a result of misdirected nostalgia or desperation to retain tradition. In addition, I think that many people are, more than anything, scared to really challenge or question it. That's why there'll be such a massive melodramatic fuss when she dies, and why few would dare to use or reference the song publicly at that point. Not necessarily because they feel a true sense of loyalty towards the Queen, but because they're made to feel like they should and that to do otherwise is somehow deviant or unpatriotic. Quite sad, really.

My personal opinion (as I've probably said before) is that the monarchy are now redundant; the country in which they may once have been useful and necessary no longer exists. My point about nostalgia and forced patriotism is proven almost every time I gently state my opinion on the matter and get the "We're British, we have a monarchy and always have, and if you don't like it, leave the country!" speech. Which, of course, changes or proves nothing.

Last edited:
As much as I disagree with royalty,I won't be dancing in the street when she carks it

No, me neither, but you must admit that the hysteria and gnashing of teeth whenever someone in the royal family dies is slightly ridiculous. A lot of it seems extremely forced, as if we're expected to 'grieve' for people who have had relatively little real impact on or connection with most people's lives. I've decided, therefore, that when the day does finally come I shall go about my business as usual, even if I do get Union Jacks pelted at me every time I step out of the house. :p

No, me neither, but you must admit that the hysteria and gnashing of teeth whenever someone in the royal family dies is slightly ridiculous. A lot of it seems extremely forced, as if we're expected to 'grieve' for people who have had relatively little real impact on or connection with most people's lives. I've decided, therefore, that when the day does finally come I shall go about my business as usual, even if I do get Union Jacks pelted at me every time I step out of the house. :p

I'll give it my usual shrug of the shoulders and curse the wall to wall tv coverage

Re:

I think you're wrong anyway. They aren't "just" anything, they have all the wealth and privileges, and the fact that they don't say "Off with their heads" anymore doesn't mean they shouldn't be forced out of the position they hold increasingly tenuously.

True. Although the royal family no longer have much direct political power, a lot of people still show a fair amount of reverence towards them, and the queen in particular, although I suspect some of the time this is as a result of misdirected nostalgia or desperation to retain tradition. In addition, I think that many people are, more than anything, scared to really challenge or question it. That's why there'll be such a massive melodramatic fuss when she dies, and why few would dare to use or reference the song publicly at that point. Not necessarily because they feel a true sense of loyalty towards the Queen, but because they're made to feel like they should and that to do otherwise is somehow deviant or unpatriotic. Quite sad, really.

My personal opinion (as I've probably said before) is that the monarchy are now redundant; the country in which they may once have been useful and necessary no longer exists. My point about nostalgia and forced patriotism is proven almost every time I gently state my opinion on the matter and get the "We're British, we have a monarchy and always have, and if you don't like it, leave the country!" speech. Which, of course, changes or proves nothing.

sums it up nicely :thumb:

Re:

I do believe you didn't figure out what I meant. I may not simply refuse them [the Queen and others]. Politically they have no power, however the royal family have too much influence 'bout how Britain is saw abroad. Of course they won't say which things and actions must be done, but represent the country - maybe not officially.

Look what two aware other users said 'bout it:

I think you're wrong anyway. They aren't "just" anything, they have all the wealth and privileges, and the fact that they don't say "Off with their heads" anymore doesn't mean they shouldn't be forced out of the position they hold increasingly tenuously.

Re:

I do believe you didn't figure out what I meant. I may not simply refuse them [the Queen and others]. Politically they have no power, however the royal family have too much influence 'bout how Britain is saw abroad. Of course they won't say which things and actions must be done, but represent the country - maybe not officially.

Look what two aware other users said 'bout it:

You used the word regime, but the British monarchy do not rule / govern the country.

but the Governor-General can sack a Prime Minister in Australia - so I think saying the Queen/Monarchy has no powers is over-stretching a bit.

Maybe the song will be played, stranger things have happened.

Back
Top Bottom