The Queen is Dead:vinyl boxset 2017 re-release

pretorius

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of buying the above, but what are the views of the 2017 re-issue, or even the vinyl boxset.
I already have the original release, and this is quite expensive, with being £50 to £80.
I have read mixed reviews.

cheers

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of buying the above, but what are the views of the 2017 re-issue, or even the vinyl boxset.
I already have the original release, and this is quite expensive, with being £50 to £80.
I have read mixed reviews.

cheers
The general consensus here on release last year was that it was a reasonably good effort. The artwork and presentation is good throughout - with some debate about the quality of the sleeves and the choice of gatefold image.
The 5 vinyl set is definitely worth a think if you want the live tracks & demos to add to your collection plus the box looks good in amongst other records.
The 3 CD + DVD version is worth owning if you are an audiophile and obviously the 2 CD version doesn't really compare to the other 2 releases.
The price for these generally went up towards the end of 2017, but has dropped off as this year has advanced.
I'd have a good look online, as I think you can find it for less (Ebay buy it now 5 LP £45 and Amazon is currently £49 for 5 LP new/sealed).
Good luck,
Regards,
FWD.
Release day discussion here:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/the-queen-is-dead-2017-re-issue-released-oct-20-2017.140982/
(although there are lots of pre-release threads in the build up too).

Last edited:
Wasnt there some discussion in the changing of the recording of the main LP?

cheers
The 2017 version was remastered in Los Angeles by Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot. It sounds excellent to my ears (especially the 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo version with decent headphones on).
Some of the discussion at the time was around how involved the band was with this release and how Johnny might feel having already painstakingly remastered everything in 2011 to then just use Inglot. That's probably where the difference in remastering arises from. Given the reviews, sound isn't anything people have been too critical about though.
IIRC the Grant Showbiz Great Woods/Boston gig was what drew more quality queries, but there's not a lot of info to definitely say what the actual process involved was to get his recording on to the vinyl/CD or if it was 'fiddled' with in any way by doing so.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom