The Queen Is Dead turns 32 today

They are both very peculiarly British (both of them lyrically, Frankly also musically) - and owe everything to our music hall traditions, including the likes of George Formby. Frankly is also a heavy nod to Billy Liar. I hesitate to suggest this because some things just come down to personal taste - but maybe that's why they don't connect?
Nah, I went through my Anglophile phase, and researched the references and pop culture like it was homework at one point. I love both songs. I just love them served separately from the rest of TQUID. They are jarring in their tonal difference and interrupt the flow of things. Listen to the album and skip them before a note plays and you'll see what I mean.

Nah, I went through my Anglophile phase, and researched the references and pop culture like it was homework at one point. I love both songs. I just love them served separately from the rest of TQUID. They are jarring in their tonal difference and interrupt the flow of things. Listen to the album and skip them before a note plays and you'll see what I mean.
Interesting. When I get a moment, I will :)

I remember hearing There Is A Light on the John Peel show, and it failed to move me. I felt it was quite Li ghtweight, too polished and not a very good chorus, tune-wise. Also, I didn't get round to buying the album for a few weeks after it's release. Had the magic worn off for me even then? Of course not. I love this album, although I still only sing There is a Light because it is typical Smiths rather than because I think it's particularly special. My favourite album is Hateful.
When it came to deciding the songlist for The Queen is Dead Moz apparently said To Marr, 'Do we have to include that?' as if it was more of a throwaway filler type song. I think it's the audience's reaction to it live that later made him say he grew to love it.

When it came to deciding the songlist for The Queen is Dead Moz apparently said To Marr, 'Do we have to include that?' as if it was more of a throwaway filler type song. I think it's the audience's reaction to it live that later made him say he grew to love it.
I remember him saying that he still finds it hard to sing about the darkened underpass. Is this the only song where he has let audience reaction determine his performing it? I would have preferred the live Tube version, musically. It has more vibrancy with the twelve string guitar and imo, non of the unnecessary overdubs of string and woodwind.

Looking back, I'm not sure QID is the Smiths' best album. People tend to see the whole as representative of some parts, and because of the anthemic TIALTNGO, swathe the whole thing in that light. The same goes for Don't Look Back In Anger. I'd prefer not to be swept along by a sea of aloft lighters.
Meat Is Murder is still the high point for me, Strangeways snapping at its heels. In terms of studio albums that is. For sheer musical 'how old was he when he wrote that' and general wonderment, it's Hatful Of Hollow.

Last edited:
Looking back, I'm not sure QID is the Smiths' best album. People tend to see the whole as representative of some parts, and because of the anthemic TIALTNGO, swathe the whole thing in that light. The same goes for Don't Look Back In Anger. I'd prefer not to be swept along by a sea of aloft lighters.
Meat Is Murder is still the high point for me, Strangeways snapping at its heels. In terms of studio albums that is. For sheer musical 'how old was he when he wrote that' and general wonderment, it's Hatful Of Hollow.

The Queen is Dead is the only Smiths album that hasn't been my favourite at some point. That said it is a near perfect record. My current favourite is Meat is Murder too.

This is the only Smiths album I'm listening to these days.

But do you have a lovely singing voice to go with it ?
I love these, many thanks :thumb:
Does anybody have a version of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

But do you have a lovely singing voice to go with it ?
I love these, many thanks :thumb:
Does anybody have a version of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby ?

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
It's not half bad. I won't quit my night job or anything.

well, I personally love frankly. how could anyone dislike a song packed with that much personality?

I raced home, ran to my room, dropped the needle. Halfway through Frankly my Mum came upstairs and said “What’s this? It’s fantastic.”

I reckon me traded me copy I bought after the train ride to Hogwartshire United with me m8 Robbie Butcher to buy it at Thatcher's Licorice Pizza Record Store. I traded it for a New York Yankee baseball cap, and a Planet Hollywood-Orlando pin for me Levis denim jacket. Reckon today me still don't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom