"The Queen Is Dead" & Seinfeld

carlos

One of the most famous Seinfeld episodes is "The Contest", which many of you know as the one where the 4 friends see who can last the longest without masturbating.

When Elaine drops out, Jerry says: "The Queen Is Dead"... which I've never noticed until today. Do you think it was a Smiths reference? Elaine did refer to herself as the queen earlier in the episode... but it still might have been a Smiths pun anyway.

I'd be MAJORLY surprised if that was a reference,, but, hehe, that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard it. That episode was just on... I take it you were watching it too? :lbf:

Talk about random:confused:

Seinfeld is the funniest series ever though.:thumb:

Talk about random:confused:

Seinfeld is the funniest series ever though.:thumb:

Seconded. Easily the best show ever. No one else has ever come close.

And in response to the original poster ... I think it'd be very unlikely that this was a Smiths reference. The expression has existed for many a year you know! :lbf:

Seconded. Easily the best show ever. No one else has ever come close.

It's got to be one of the four or five best ever, but the best? I'm not sure about that. Maybe "Cheers" or "The Simpsons". I'd put "Arrested Development" at #1 if it had run for more than three seasons.

Have you noticed on the episode when Jean Paul, the marathon runner is staying with Elaine and Jerry sets the alarm for him and checks it, the tune that plays when it goes off is the beginning keyboard part to "A Rush and A Push". When you see that episode again, pay attention to that part.

Personally, I took the cast of Seinfeld to be listeners of 70s soft rock (Witchy Woman) and Broadway tunes (Master of the House, from Les Miserables). The Smiths wouldn't be on their radar. As said before, the Queen is dead is a common phrase, like off with her head.

Where is that Arrested Development movie?

I love Seinfeld but for some reason I just can't picture any of the main characters as a Smiths fan for some odd unknown reason :blushing:

I love Seinfeld but for some reason I just can't picture any of the main characters as a Smiths fan for some odd unknown reason :blushing:

It looks a bit dated now.

Kramer is my fave.I have every episode and when I'm feeling suicidal :ha-no: I put the Puffy Shirt episode on and just smile.:D

Have you noticed on the episode when Jean Paul, the marathon runner is staying with Elaine and Jerry sets the alarm for him and checks it, the tune that plays when it goes off is the beginning keyboard part to "A Rush and A Push". When you see that episode again, pay attention to that part.

Yeah and if you look at the crowd closely you can see Morrissey cheering in the background :D

nice try.

I'd be amazed if any of the Seinfeld cast were Mozz fans. Larry David, on the other hand...

The Soup Nazi was the finest piece of American sitcomism ever. NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Yeah and if you look at the crowd closely you can see Morrissey cheering in the background :D

nice try.
Try what?
To impress you?:angry:

Who cares, I very much doubt it was a reference. That show is bollocks anyway. American TV is the pits.

Who cares, I very much doubt it was a reference. That show is bollocks anyway. American TV is the pits.

I agree it is the pits.I hate Friends and all the other comedies except Seinfeld because it doesn't have that mushy moral round up at the end like Roseanne used to.you know...the bit where everything is all right with the world.

And what they did to The Office.don't get me started on that.:mad:

One of the most famous Seinfeld episodes is "The Contest", which many of you know as the one where the 4 friends see who can last the longest without masturbating.

When Elaine drops out, Jerry says: "The Queen Is Dead"... which I've never noticed until today. Do you think it was a Smiths reference? Elaine did refer to herself as the queen earlier in the episode... but it still might have been a Smiths pun anyway.

It's not a smiths reference.
There is a scene, i believe it's in the coffee shop, where Jerry and George are bragging about still being "in" the contest. Jerry and George make up names for themselves like: "Lord of the manor, King of the county." then Elaine shows up and makes up "Queen of the castle" for herself.

Later when she is "out" she proclaims "The Queen Is Dead"

I think thats where her reference comes from.

Last edited:
It's not a smiths reference.
There is a scene, i believe it's in the coffee shop, where Jerry and George are bragging about still being "in" the contest. Jerry and George make up names for themselves like: "Lord of the manor, King of the county." then Elaine shows up and makes up "Queen of the castle" for herself.

Later when she is "out" she proclaims "The Queen Is Dead"

I think thats where her reference comes from.

see top of thread.

Back
Top Bottom