'The Queen Is Dead' named as the Greatest Album of All Time by NME - nme.com

The Smiths' 'The Queen Is Dead' tops NME's list of 500 greatest albums of all time - www.nme.com

Excerpt -

A list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time is published in this week's magazine, which is available digitally or on newsstands from today (October 23).
The Smiths' 1986 LP came top of the list, above albums by The Beatles, David Bowie, Pulp, The Stone Roses and Pixies. You can read the full rundown in this week's issue.

Wonder if this news will appear on TTY?

Ta for link.

P.

Are you a Pixies fan Peter? (may I call you Peter?)
What do you think of the reformation?
I find it all a bit dull, like a tribute band.
I treasure them from first time around.

I am indeed a fan. Not sure about the new stuff, would like to hear more. Come On Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle cannot be beat in my opinion,

P.

Agree with that stinky bint from Hull:

It's a superb album & alongside "Vauxhall & I" is all anyone needs for the desert island Cd collection.

Of course, what else could this be other than just another a lead-in for yet another NME Smiths/Morrissey time capsule retrospective to flog to the same Boomer's buying "Autobiography". One year it's "OK, Computer", then it's "Sergeant Pepper" then "TQID".

How could anyone dismiss this list as just another marketing ploy? "voted for by NME journalists" yeah, right, so no fiddling the figures for flogging future products. Bollocks.

I won't try to make a case that the lyrics are great. They are vague and impressionistic enough that you can read different things into them, generally speaking. That can be a good thing. I know I've listened to the same songs many times and had the experience where the lyrics suddenly did seem to apply to something that was happening in my life at the time. Occasionally they are an excuse for a vocal part. I won't argue. I personally like most of the lyrics and I do like singing along. But I was really starting in a place where I know I would have to defend the lyrics. I know it's considered their weak spot. I like this, for example...

I've lost you [x5]
I've lost you [x5]
I've lost you [x5]
:D Not trolling, I swear.

and this
When I was a very small boy,
Very small boys talked to me
Now that we've grown up together
They're afraid of what they see

Always thought it sounded better when they changed the lyrics to
when I was a very small boy,
Michael Jackson played with me.

Agree with that stinky bint from Hull:

It's a superb album & alongside "Vauxhall & I" is all anyone needs for the desert island Cd collection.

Of course, what else could this be other than just another a lead-in for yet another NME Smiths/Morrissey time capsule retrospective to flog to the same Boomer's buying "Autobiography". One year it's "OK, Computer", then it's "Sergeant Pepper" then "TQID".

How could anyone dismiss this list as just another marketing ploy? "voted for by NME journalists" yeah, right, so no fiddling the figures for flogging future products. Bollocks.

I was on a writing course with the new NME editor approx a decade ago. Its amazing what happens when you grow older as I'm sure I remember him deriding the endless lists upon lists upon lists that the music magazines use to generate interest.

Or was that me?

Back
Top Bottom