The Queen is Dead meaning

Thorne

Hi everyone

I am struggling with the translation of a verse of the Queen is Dead song.
Could you please help me to find the more accurate meaning of:
"Her very Lowness with a head in a sling"
Thanks a lot for helping

Hi everyone

I am struggling with the translation of a verse of the Queen is Dead song.
Could you please help me to find the more accurate meaning of:
"Her very Lowness with a head in a sling"
Thanks a lot for helping
in the UK she is known as her Royal Highness so the lyric is the reverse of that ... head in a sling means to see her with a noose around her neck

I took the literal meaning of the thread title.

The Queen Is Dead is a message from Morrissey to all that he's given up his effeminately gay ways, and yet he can't tell it straight, so wraps it up in a tale of royal nonsense. The giveaway is the unwritten lyrics of "all those lies about make-up and long hair - they're still there".

The Queen Is Dead is a message from Morrissey to all that he's given up his effeminately gay ways, and yet he can't tell it straight, so wraps it up in a tale of royal nonsense. The giveaway is the unwritten lyrics of "all those lies about make-up and long hair - they're still there".

That's an unusual interpretation. I just saw TQID as The Smiths manifesto - typical anti-Establishment Moz, an outsider lamenting the general state of the world, the uselessness of the people in power, the greed of the Church and the general loneliness and misery of daily life. Very very similar thematically to Nowhere Fast. It's classic Moz and it's a masterpiece, but the only reference I see to sexuality is the brilliant line about him being "the 18th pale descendant.." of a queen. And I thought he was identifying himself with the Charles figure, meek and tied to Mum's apron and all that.

That's an unusual interpretation. I just saw TQID as The Smiths manifesto - typical anti-Establishment Moz, an outsider lamenting the general state of the world, the uselessness of the people in power, the greed of the Church and the general loneliness and misery of daily life. Very very similar thematically to Nowhere Fast. It's classic Moz and it's a masterpiece, but the only reference I see to sexuality is the brilliant line about him being "the 18th pale descendant.." of a queen. And I thought he was identifying himself with the Charles figure, meek and tied to Mum's apron and all that.
It's emblematic of himself and nothing else, and the only reason it's dressed up as it is is so his mum didn't have to see the literal meaning.

I reckon remember an interview with Chrissie Hynde where she said the California Son picked the title, because well there was no way foreigners were going to buy a self titled album called "California Son" from an alleged Brit Pop band, so he picked a title that summed up his hatred for Brittish people and their country and the 3 years he had to travel back and forth between Brittin and home in Moz Angeles wasting all his money on airfare c*** tit twat posher inn nn nnn nnnn n it.

It's emblematic of himself and nothing else, and the only reason it's dressed up as it is is so his mum didn't have to see the literal meaning.
I'm pretty sure his mum was hip to the fact that her son likes dudes.

Show me one catholic household in the 70s and 80s who was really "cool with it". Maybe she accepted things at a later stage and supported Steven but @Uncleskinny's theory isn't too erroneous at all. Catholic guilt bears down heavily on us pale and thin altar boys.

That has nothing to do with the real question.

You're retarded. He has so many gay songs. What do you think the coded message is in "Hand In Glove?"

Well, it could be both, no? His lyrics often work on multiple levels.

If he's using it as a metaphor, then it doesn't have a literal meaning.

Also bizarre that you think he'd have to give up his camp ways & it wouldn't be an anti-establishment comment - who is making him give up his camp ways? Why would he have to hide it from his Mum if there was no establishment making being openly gay an issue?

What was it like growing up gay or bisexual in the 1970s anyway?

From what I've read it looks like people thought they were sick & pitiful, evil & perverted or 'edgy' & 'shocking'.

That can't have been easy - sitting in your wee council house, looking at the telly & the tabloids & discovering you're one of THEM. And you can't even go on Tumblr.

& assuming Moz is a bit gay - then it was illegal in England & Wales until he was 9 but he couldn't consent until he was 21, in Scotland it was illegal until he was 21, & in Ireland it was illegal until he was 34.

& this tabloid storm of over a gay kiss on national television happened when he was 30.

ALSO - when he joined The Smiths he was over 21 & the entire rest of the band was under 21 - so if he did have any 'romantic' interest in any of them he could have been prosecuted.

tab.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Show me one catholic household in the 70s and 80s who was really "cool with it". Maybe she accepted things at a later stage and supported Steven but @Uncleskinny's theory isn't too erroneous at all. Catholic guilt bears down heavily on us pale and thin altar boys.
Yeah his mum was pumping him full of Oscar Wilde books while Steven minced all over Manchester with Jon Daley. Betty (RIP) was probably wondering when he'd bring the right girl home, LOL.

A Moz manifesto, then. About all sorts, not just being gay. Pretty sure his Mum clocked onto that one in about 1969.

Yeah his mum was pumping him full of Oscar Wilde books while Steven minced all over Manchester with Jon Daley. Betty (RIP) was probably wondering when he'd bring the right girl home, LOL.

Phranc & Open has a point, though. Morrissey's Mum might have been on board but his Dad - at least from Autobio - was a different matter altogether and was not thrilled with his 'fey' mannerisms, dancing, blouses,etc.

🤒
code for the gay cuck :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: who should have been at the guitar lesson
but instead was having 45 min gay schnnogins with dudes.:raisinghand:
not ANY type of dude but 'enormous' cricket players in a dress:censored:

Back
Top Bottom