The Queen Is Dead LP with alt poster?

elephant6ers

Has anybody seen this auction on ebay # 200373307225 ?
Link :http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Smiths-NR-M...ords?hash=item2ea72e0759&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The LP is packaged with this smaller sized poster, an alt version of the regular one.

I remember seeing some seller selling this same poster on eBay a while back. Although this current seller tries to be ambigious, it's my opinion that the poster is not officially from Rough Trade but a clever well-made 'repro'. I do not doubt his other Smiths stuff as he is a regular seller of official smiths vinyls.

Any comments from the experts here?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: Queen Is Dead LP with alt poster?

I've seen that poster for sale on ebay a number of times from a seller who sells (openly) bootleg posters from Hungary.

Re: Queen Is Dead LP with alt poster?

I've seen that poster for sale on ebay a number of times from a seller who sells (openly) bootleg posters from Hungary.

You are right, Dentist.

To be fair to the seller they say in the description
The poster measures 17" x 9" and is therefore a different size to the standard Rough Trade promotional posters. Although it is not clear whether this was indeed issued by Rough Trade at all, it is clearly professionally-printed and is very likely not a recent print otherwise many of these would be turning up for sale which is not the case.​

I contacted the seller a few days ago when I saw the listing:
Hi
I'm pretty sure that the poster is fake.
I have one that I bought from this seller http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bootleggirl1968 only paid a few quid for it - she is based in Hungary and occasionally sells smiths posters that aren't the normal size or design (William with the seated man, and That Joke with the full Madonna with child image) - all good quality, but all fake / unofficial.
Regards
Dave​

Got a response:
Fair enough, it might be one of those types of
poster I don't know. I don't think that I
emphasised the poster too much in the auction, and I don't really expect that it will bring
a very high price in any case. Do you think
I should withdraw the auction then?
Best wishes, Stephen.​

I haven't had the time to respond, but given that there are now 9 bids on this record, I doubt he'd remove it.

I've bought from this seller before, they are a serious Smiths trader, never had a problem. In the description he describes the LP as being in very good condition - I think that this should dictate its sale price, not the poster. Buy it if you want a mint QiD and you like the poster, but not because you think it is particularly rare.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom