"The Queen Is Dead" enters UK singles chart at #85; vinyl singles chart at #1

yeah, I would've switched some singles on the albums, and some albumtracks as singles, but I'm satisfied how it went giving the fans
singles that didn't were on the albums.

Rusholme Ruffians would definately be my choice for a single, as you already wrote, Frankly Mrs Shankly, and their early work Girl Afraid, all perfect as singles, but history can't be changed though I'm glad with the demoos released this year.

Do you know if " Sheila Take A Bow " was ever released as a single?
Liked that song very much, still do! :thumb:

yes , sir Quando...with Candy Darling as Sleeve, perfect Smiths single short, catchy and great lyrics

[checking Peepholism]

Thanks celibate!
I agree totally with you.
Do you also have that strange feeling about the fact that those great Smiths singles didn't get the appreciation they should have?

Even now looking back, I can't understand they still were considered as an indie-band, quite good but never that much more then a cult-icon phenomenon. With some success and a devotional following but not that big. Or is that always the case when you're a fan and just like to see your music taste confirmed?

At the same time it occurred to me I wouldn't have liked it if they had become the taste of the big public like U2, the Stones, Oasis etcetera. As if mass public recognition is always bad, which it isn't as there are great music stars that were brilliant.

Maybe it was because they released so many of them in a relatively short time and "the public" hadn't even time enough to appreciate those singles because before they started appreciating one, the next one was already released.
Cheers celibate! :thumb:

Thanks to the delightfully deceptive disguises of The Wild Turkey and The Bunny, this thing got done and went to number one.
Here's to ya Moz! Happy to help anytime. :brows:

Thanks to the delightfully deceptive disguises of The Wild Turkey and The Bunny, this thing got done and went to number one.
Here's to ya Moz! Happy to help anytime. :brows:

You are great fun Wild Turkey!
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Moz himself bought some items incognito? I mean not that he needed to of course but just to check the stickers on it? :D

Thanks celibate!
I agree totally with you.
Do you also have that strange feeling about the fact that those great Smiths singles didn't get the appreciation they should have?

It seems strange now that very accessible songs like "Ask" and "Girlfriend in a Coma" didn't even break the top 10 at the time.

Last edited:
It seems strange now that very accessible songs like "Ask" and "Girlfriend in a Coma" didn't even break the top 10 at the time.

Yes. That is exactly what I meant and you didn't need as many words as I did.
Cheerio Surface ! :thumb:

Even now looking back, I can't understand they still were considered as an indie-band, quite good but never that much more then a cult-icon phenomenon. With some success and a devotional following but not that big. Or is that always the case when you're a fan and just like to see your music taste confirmed?

I think it is a case of that. Looking at singles chart positions for other contemporaries of The Smiths like The Cure and Echo and the Bunnymen - it's very similar - i.e., no #1 singles.

Chart placement aside. Crikey that 12" sounds good. Much better than Johnny's remaster. What's up with that?

Chart placement aside. Crikey that 12" sounds good. Much better than Johnny's remaster. What's up with that?
It's a 12" single, full sided pressing.
Wish I had Johnny's remaster in the same format. Splitting hairs though. The boxed Johnny remixes of all the albums I bought from Rhino a few years back sound fantastic on my system.

according to my local indie shop, more Smiths releases are expected this year? !

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom