"The Queen Is Dead" Box Set promo items (slipmat, tote) & Joyce competition

Mike Joyce is running a competition to win a slipmat or bag:

The items have made it in to record shops too (availability unknown):

40985_tqid_tote_slipmat.jpg

40984_tqid_slipmat.jpg

40986_tqid_display.jpg

A general discussion point, but could well go in collector's corner too - looks like there's a quantity of items to collect alongside the box set.
Several IG posts would imply the items will be given away with the set - let's hope so.
Regards,
FWD.

(source: Joyce & various Instagrams).

Last edited by a moderator:
If only Joyce had been bludgeoned by the wimpy bedroom shadow boxer in the Playboys video. His pathetic path as a token session musician and devious, truculent, and unreliable Northern leech would have been avoided. Lawyer...liar....lawyer...liar...
I despise this guy. He is stuck in time and contributes nothing but worthless appearances for people who are stuck in 1987. Spencer and Matt Walker can drum circles around him. He should be locked in a room with Gustavo Manzur during which time he is forced to listen Gustavo butcher The Smiths’ masterpieces in Spanish

He knows it's over, still he clings...
It has to be a shitty feeling to know that in the increasingly unlikely event of a Smiths reunion, he would be persona non grata, and replaced with anyone who could play. What an odd feeling it must be.
Then it wouldn't be a Smiths reunion would it?

Then it wouldn't be a Smiths reunion would it?
That much is debatable. As skillful as he could be on the drums, you can't exactly insert personality into a drum sound like you can a voice or stringed instruments. Unless you're the guy from Tool, and then congratulations on making really complex boring music.

EDIT: My main point was this- pretty much everybody in the band thinks he's a schmuck, Morrissey will whoop with joy the day he drops dead, and still, still- he flogs the Smiths.
It's sad. When I'm not wanted, I move on.

Sad? I don't think so.
Mike was one quarter of the best band in the history of music.
He was there pretty much from the beginning to the end.
He's immensely proud of that, irrespective of what happened many years later, a fallout over money, how shocking.
Nothing sad about Mike, I'd be hugely proud to have been in The Smiths too.

That much is debatable. As skillful as he could be on the drums, you can't exactly insert personality into a drum sound like you can a voice or stringed instruments. Unless you're the guy from Tool, and then congratulations on making really complex boring music.

EDIT: My main point was this- pretty much everybody in the band thinks he's a schmuck, Morrissey will whoop with joy the day he drops dead, and still, still- he flogs the Smiths.
It's sad. When I'm not wanted, I move on.
A punk drummer, a funk bassist, a pop guitar player, and a plagiarist poet. You could put them together, but why would you? They each had as vital part to play as the next and they played each part to perfection. Make no mistake the accents, Paradiddles, and broke up beats are all Joyces. Johnny Marr can play guitar, but drummer he is not, and the poet was in bed. Proud he has every right to be.

must be sad to be Joyce, riding on the coattails of the dead Smiths.

At least M escaped all that and is the only one among them holding the torch for and creating great music that still moves people in the way the Smiths do.

though Mikes drum loop on the song QID is great, unfortunately he could never pull it off as well live, not to say it's bad, just not as strong.

If only Joyce had been bludgeoned by the wimpy bedroom shadow boxer in the Playboys video. His pathetic path as a token session musician and devious, truculent, and unreliable Northern leech would have been avoided. Lawyer...liar....lawyer...liar...
I despise this guy. He is stuck in time and contributes nothing but worthless appearances for people who are stuck in 1987. Spencer and Matt Walker can drum circles around him. He should be locked in a room with Gustavo Manzur during which time he is forced to listen Gustavo butcher The Smiths’ masterpieces in Spanish

A punk drummer, a funk bassist, a pop guitar player, and a plagiarist poet. You could put them together, but why would you? They each had as vital part to play as the next and they played each part to perfection. Make no mistake the accents, Paradiddles, and broke up beats are all Joyces. Johnny Marr can play guitar, but drummer he is not, and the poet was in bed. Proud he has every right to be.
I never said he didn't do a great job of it, but...

3 musicians and a drummer walk into a bar...

Witty, but unfair and inaccurate.
Sorry, but you simply can't say that he was unique in the world of drumming. As you yourself said- a "punk" drummer. Punk=self imposed limitations and a straightforward style. When Morrissey plays Smiths material nowadays, nobody bitches about the drumming. But Jesse? Yeah. Listen to This Charming Man. The drums are on point, the guitar is high school caliber.

Ok, so the argument is, as a drummer he could have been removed at any point and replaced an other. Who could/would have come up with drum patterns and what ever that would have been just as important as his?

Ok, so the argument is, as a drummer he could have been removed at any point and replaced an other. Who could/would have come up with drum patterns and what ever that would have been just as important as his?
Um, your average proficient drummer. That's kind of my point.

I'm so excited bc this album is the first album that I'll buy of The Smiths ( I have The Best of, the Sound of the Smiths but pff... nothing like TQID).
When I begined to listen the Smiths in the shops I see The queen is dead, the album disappeared when I wanted buy it and now I found it again. But more expensive that the remaster, so...
Regards.

Um, your average proficient drummer. That's kind of my point.

I think Joyce is a good drummer, and his work on "What She Said," "Rubber Ring" etc. is great. But he's definitely not like Bryan Devendorf for The National, for example. Bryan's drumming makes the songs, and uplifts them from a kind of stock rock and roll affair. That said, a good musician knows his place. Morrissey and Marr are the centerpiece in Smiths songs. I don't know if I would want to even hear a beat like "One Day Good Bye Will Be Farewell" in a single Smiths song.... would you?

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom