"The Queen Is Dead" (2017 re-issue) released (Oct. 20, 2017)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidt, Oct 20, 2017.

By davidt on Oct 20, 2017 at 3:45 PM
  1. davidt

davidt Administrator Staff Member Moderator Premium

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1

Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidt, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Thewlis
      Thewlis
      Sounds amazing!
      • Like Like x 1
      • Troll Troll x 1
    2. Johnny Barleycorn
      Johnny Barleycorn
      It is amazing.

This turned up on my television earlier... A thirty second ad. Beautiful in green and pink throughout.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    3. Famous when dead
      Famous when dead
      I am hoping that every main Smiths album is given the same treatment - it would be a wonderful collection to have.
      It sounds good to my ears.
      Boston is a great gig.
      Exhaustive demos / outtakes were probably never on the cards, but the balance between unheard and already leaked seems fairly done.
      Regards,
      FWD.
      • Like Like x 6
    4. 001
      That would be great!
    5. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Bought the 3 CD box set today from Jumbo in Leeds. Thought Boston gig was a bit poor sound wise and really disappointed with the quality of the product. The gatefold image is poorly reproduced and there is no accompanying literature regarding the album or its recording. Also found that the lyric brochure looked super cheap. Incorrect lyrics to Queen is Dead. Anyone buying this deserves a well thought out product. Lacks the finesse of a true Smiths release. Still waiting for the tote bag.., Pilgrimupnorth
      • Insightful Insightful x 1
    6. Anonymous
      Anonymous
      Posted this in the wrong thread earlier: Anybody know how limited the vinyl set is? I would really like to own it but wondering if it can be pushed off til Christmas.
    7. S-Plade
      S-Plade
      I'll be surprised if this is ltd at all. It is made to sell and make money. But this is only my guess.
    8. SweetnTenderYorkshireman
      SweetnTenderYorkshireman
      I love it.
      Sounds crisp and punchy
      Great artwork love how it includes the cover stars (Delon, Kerouac, Dean) aswell as the protest picture / tattoo showing how relevant the band still is.
    9. DrStatham
      DrStatham
      I agree about the lyrics booklet. Very strange really...
      • Like Like x 1
    10. The Wild Turkey
      The Wild Turkey
      The Queen Is Dead is one of my top 5 records of all time.
      Thing is, I'm just way more into the new Moz music at the moment.
      • Like Like x 5
    11. Cornflakes
      Cornflakes
      Think it's actually a shabby chic design choice. The cover image can't be righ-res, because it's presumably from a DVD still. So they've downgraded the gatefold image to match. Not saying that's the right thing to do, but it's not like they've had it printed on a second-hand household inkjet just to save pennies.

The packaging is nothing special, though, I agree. The same photo of Big Ben five times, but no Salford Lads photo?! And poor old Ann Coates doesn't get a credit.

Also think it's odd to depart from the pink and green colour-scheme. I can't think of another album in history where you could hold up two coloured cards, say "what album is this?", and thousands of people would be instantly able to guess.

OTOH, it sounds fantastic, which is the main thing.
      Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
      • Like Like x 4
    12. MozRecording
      MozRecording
      Great release. Hope all the albums get the same treatment.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dislike Dislike x 1
    13. Orson Swells
      Orson Swells
      Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1986...
      • Like Like x 1
    14. nobody's_nothing
      nobody's_nothing
      I purchased the 3 CD/1 DVD version, still waiting on mine to arrive in the mail. I couldn't be bothered to purchase the 5 LP version, I like just one, glistening, LP when it comes to my vinyl -- anymore than that and I am sickened.
    15. Abrahan
      Abrahan
      Wasn't Craig Gannon on the 86 tour?

No mention of him anywhere regarding the Boston Show.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Interesting Interesting x 1
    16. Cornflakes
      Cornflakes
      Yes, I noticed that. Naked Morrissey cuntery.
    17. celibate
      celibate
      so the 3 CD box set is the one with 'live in Boston'... well go order it today, as well as Mporium the new CD.

'T-shirt mate'
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Mozbra
      Mozbra
      How is it?What is it like?
    19. lanterns
      lanterns
      so so. was listening to cd1 last night mainly for historical reasons. the box feels nice, images are cool. i felt kind of rushed through the songs on cd1, probably bc there is not even a second of a break inbetween them. i liked that, since i don't want to revel in the 80s for too long, the present times always having been the better times for me. it felt like watching the light, beautiful as it is, of a foreign planet that has died long ago. unnostalgically looking forward to lihs
      Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    Tags: