"The Queen Is Dead" - 2017 re-issue full track listings and details - SuperDeluxeEdition

The site super deluxe edition, have this extra info....
A five-LP box set (good value in the UK at £57) includes all the audio listed above, and a two-CD edition pairs the remaster with the bonus disc of demos etc.

Five LP vinyl release, with 2 cds sounds nice.

The Smiths / The Queen is Dead reissue - SuperDeluxeEdition
by Paul Sinclair

Excerpt:

First Smiths deluxe • 3CD+DVD • 5LP vinyl • hi-res on DVD
Warners will issue a four-disc deluxe edition of The Smiths 1986 album The Queen Is Dead in October this year.

The album is generally considered to be the band’s best work (although for this writer Strangeways, Here We Come gives it a good run for its money) and features the classic There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (only a single in France at the time, fact fans).

There are three physical formats for this release – which as you will note has updated artwork – a 3CD+DVD deluxe includes the remastered album, a bonus CD of demos, alternates and b-sides, a further CD: Live In Boston (recorded at the Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts on August 5, 1986) and a DVD featuring the 2017 master of the album in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo. The DVD also includes The Queen Is Dead – A Film By Derek Jarman.

A five-LP box set (good value in the UK at £57) includes all the audio listed above, and a two-CD edition pairs the remaster with the bonus disc of demos etc.

All formats of this The Queen Is Dead reissue will be released on 20 October 2017. The four-disc deluxe is well-priced (similar to Prince) and is currently £25 in the UK (this may even come down further).

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
A booklet would have been a nice addition, how much would that cost?

Hold the front page, but there is actually a booklet. It has twelve pages and ... wait for it .... staples! Yes, staples! I'm guessing two, but the information I have is not specific.

I wonder if the DVD is region free.
Guess I'll take what I can get, but how I wish they just put out all the treasures already that are locked in the vault.

Crikey! What is wrong with you people?
This dull starts with nothing and ends with 25 new SMITHS recordings. Even including Rank barely reach 100 tracks in the bands original life.

I posted this above, but it's apparently par for the course that Smith's soundboard tapes are not complete concerts, because of the limitations of C90 cassettes. If you look at what's missing, it would be realistic to suppose that what we are getting might actually be everything that was committed to tape that night.

I believe that the missing songs from Rank were all taped and that the recordings do still exist, though, so fingers crossed. Not before a CD2 of Troy Tate tracks, though.

I'm not buying the length of cassette theory. The Replacements are releasing a FULL live soundboard recording from Maxwells in NJ from 2/4/86....technology was there.

I'm not buying the length of cassette theory. The Replacements are releasing a FULL live soundboard recording from Maxwells in NJ from 2/4/86....technology was there.
Nope. That Maxwell's set was an old fashioned multi track recording according to the press release. I love the Mats!

we'll get the full show with the next anniversary re-release. Can't expect to get everything at once, that would make the buyer happy, and we wouldn't want that ! ;)

I'll bet M just didn't like his singing on those songs. And not using that DVD to release rare live footage is a bit of a shame.

Oh well, there's still the new M album to look forward to ! :)

we'll get the full show with the next anniversary re-release. Can't expect to get everything at once, that would make the buyer happy, and we wouldn't want that ! ;)

I'll bet M just didn't like his singing on those songs. And not using that DVD to release rare live footage is a bit of a shame.

Oh well, there's still the new M album to look forward to ! :)

I take it M is Mike Joyce? Didn't know he sang or is releasing a new album. Thanks for the update! You must be his number one fan!

Well, what a disappointing piece of crap the dvd is. A 15 minute video everyone's already seen where you can't even see the band once?? come on!
The live CD is also a big disappointment, was it so much to ask to have the complete recording. At lest I hope the quality is better than the bootleg from that date (which is actually a great bootleg)
But come on! The nostalgia over the feeling I had when I first saw it way back when... pretty edgy then.

I posted this above, but it's apparently par for the course that Smith's soundboard tapes are not complete concerts, because of the limitations of C90 cassettes. If you look at what's missing, it would be realistic to suppose that what we are getting might actually be everything that was committed to tape that night.

I believe that the missing songs from Rank were all taped and that the recordings do still exist, though, so fingers crossed. Not before a CD2 of Troy Tate tracks, though.

The gig used for Rank was recorded by the BBC and it was aired before it was released. Frankly, Mr. Shankly and There Is A Light were broadcast

Yikes, is that what these sound boards were recording to back then ... cassette tapes?!?! I guess I never thought about it, but would've guessed it was something along the lines of DAT tape ... or did that come later (early 90's)?

I still have a DAT player and have Rank on DAT. Technology was there in 1988, though it was very new then so I suppose concerts in the mid-80's were cassette unless there were being specially recorded on reel to reel???

C/D 120 tapes existed throughout the 80's!
The gig itself was bootlegged by several people and was complete.
I'd be interested to know how many gigs actually made it to the hour and a half length if anyone knows out there. The majority of my tape boots are c90.
I'm guessing the cost implications of a second disc for a few tracks lead to cuts - especially as it was posthumous and wouldn't be promoted particularly.
Just my take.
Regards,
FWD.

Yah. I couldn't be bothered with this release. If there was a Smiths concert on dvd I would have been tempted. The Derek Jarman was previously released on The Complete Picture dvd and its not worth having twice. The bonus CDs sound promising though.

Is it worth having once?

C/D 120 tapes existed throughout the 80's!
The gig itself was bootlegged by several people and was complete.

There were also reel-to-reel machines and 8-track cartridges in the '80s, but all the Smiths soundboard recordings are on C90. C120 cassettes were made with thin tape and were poorer quality. The bootlegs of the gig are audience recordings, not from the soundboard.

There were also reel-to-reel machines and 8-track cartridges in the '80s, but all the Smiths soundboard recordings are on C90. C120 cassettes were made with thin tape and were poorer quality. The bootlegs of the gig are audience recordings, not from the soundboard.

In that case, I'm surprised that they would not have had duel cassette decks to record longer than 90 mins (as in start the second one when the first is close to the end) ... but I guess anyone who could answer that definitively is not here.

According to this listing, "I Want The One I Can't Have" and "There Is A Light..." (#3 and #5) were played early in the set list and are not on Rank. Also, HSIN is not there, but the tracks after are ... so it would seem to suggest selective inclusion rather than the entire show not being soundboard recorded.

This is now up for North America on Amazon.com

Prices:
Standard CD album - $20
Deluxe CD album - $40
Vinyl set - $100

Uh yeah, much cheaper to import the vinyl from UK. Get it while you can.

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom