"The Queen Is Dead" - 2017 re-issue full track listings and details - SuperDeluxeEdition

The site super deluxe edition, have this extra info....
A five-LP box set (good value in the UK at £57) includes all the audio listed above, and a two-CD edition pairs the remaster with the bonus disc of demos etc.

Five LP vinyl release, with 2 cds sounds nice.

The Smiths / The Queen is Dead reissue - SuperDeluxeEdition
by Paul Sinclair

Excerpt:

First Smiths deluxe • 3CD+DVD • 5LP vinyl • hi-res on DVD
Warners will issue a four-disc deluxe edition of The Smiths 1986 album The Queen Is Dead in October this year.

The album is generally considered to be the band’s best work (although for this writer Strangeways, Here We Come gives it a good run for its money) and features the classic There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (only a single in France at the time, fact fans).

There are three physical formats for this release – which as you will note has updated artwork – a 3CD+DVD deluxe includes the remastered album, a bonus CD of demos, alternates and b-sides, a further CD: Live In Boston (recorded at the Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts on August 5, 1986) and a DVD featuring the 2017 master of the album in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM stereo. The DVD also includes The Queen Is Dead – A Film By Derek Jarman.

A five-LP box set (good value in the UK at £57) includes all the audio listed above, and a two-CD edition pairs the remaster with the bonus disc of demos etc.

All formats of this The Queen Is Dead reissue will be released on 20 October 2017. The four-disc deluxe is well-priced (similar to Prince) and is currently £25 in the UK (this may even come down further).

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track (and a tacky badge)
This message above is so played out...

I pre ordered from amazon uk and I'm in north america.

It might actually be a full recording, or nearly. It's probably a soundboard recording done by Grant Showbiz, and supposedly it's normal for them to be incomplete because he used C90 tapes and wasn't normally prompt about turning them over or changing tapes. What's listed would be consistent with him starting out with about 15 mins left on a tape from the previous show, then missing a few songs, then recording 45 mins straight, then missing a song, then pressing stop after the first encore. Of course, it may also be that songs have been edited out, but we may never know.

The complete gig was 19 songs so 6 are missing on this CD. What you say sounds very likely or maybe a few tracks have just been edited out due to lack of space on the cd.
The original setlist was:
5 August 1986
Great Woods Performing Arts Center, Mansfield, MA

How Soon Is Now?
Hand In Glove
I Want The One I Can't Have
Still Ill
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
Panic
Never Had No One Ever
Stretch Out And Wait
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Cemetry Gates
What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
Is It Really So Strange?
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
The Queen Is Dead
/Money Changes Everything
/I Know It's Over
//Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
///Bigmouth Strikes Again

Why the cynicism? Happy to own the demos as most of them have never been heard, and none of them have seen official release. If you don't want it, vote with your wallet but a two disc collection with a live Cd seems a bit special.

SRe-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs

:lbf::lbf::lbf::lbf: See what I did there? Allow me to explain, squire, I'm using my knowledge of the lyrics to the Smiths' own song, Paint a Vulgar Picture, to lambast their latest re-release! The joke is they're doing exactly what Morrissey was referring to in this song!!! :lbf::lbf::lbf:

I'm bloody hilarious!! :lbf::lbf:

Ah, don't take it to heart, squire, I'm just a bit of a joker, you know, like...

I remember having this on cassette so I was anxious to see what the CD would have. Disappointed that it's not the full show! I don't know why they put out partial product, "Rank" is missing songs (really, you put out your only live album and arguably your most famous/best song "How Soon Is Now?" you leave off?).....if it's due to space on CD, they should just add another freaking disc.....or better yet, make it a DOWNLOAD in MP3/something lossless. #endrant

The complete gig was 19 songs so 6 are missing on this CD. What you say sounds very likely or maybe a few tracks have just been edited out due to lack of space on the cd.
The original setlist was:
5 August 1986
Great Woods Performing Arts Center, Mansfield, MA

How Soon Is Now?
Hand In Glove
I Want The One I Can't Have
Still Ill
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
Panic
Never Had No One Ever
Stretch Out And Wait
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Cemetry Gates
What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
Is It Really So Strange?
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
The Queen Is Dead
/Money Changes Everything
/I Know It's Over
//Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
///Bigmouth Strikes Again

I'll cry if i see this joke posted again on here or social media

You've done it yourself now by replying and posting. :squiffy:
I guess you want to cry and nothing else could.
:D

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs

Yep ! It's all very sad how this has turned out Eric.
It's a an epic album that deserves its place in history but if we could travel back in time I'm very sure you, me and all the other fans of that era would find it very hard to believe that " The Smiths Ltd " would return to thank our loyalty and support by daylight rape and robbery.
It looks as though The Smiths market is now aimed at people like David Cameron and Andy Burnham.

Oh well,:rolleyes: we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore at least I was there and part of it when it was cool and meant something.
HIT THE NORTH !

#we:heartssuit:Rome

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Troll x 3 :thumbsdown:
Benny I want your babies :kiss: KetchupBum xxx.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm glad this is coming out, as anything 'new' is better than nothing - but they are being super stingy with the extras. Only 8 previously unreleased demo tracks, so half as many as on the previously planned release where that promo disc slipped out. Why are they padding out disc two with B Sides like 'Unloveable' that every fan has already bought 15 times before?

And all those TV appearances and live footage floating round on the bootleg market, and we get the same old 15 minute Derek Jarman film which we've all seen before.

Let's hope the live recording is a good quality direct from the mixing desk, and not just one of the audience recordings we've heard before, or we'll really be taking it up the jacksie.

I sort of agree. I'm disappointed there's no new video and obviously having more rather than fewer demos would be better. But don't look at it too half-empty. I think they probably wanted the second disc to stand up in its own right as a great collection, and there's no denying that having instrumental demos and repeats of songs would have weakened it from that perspective. And of the five demos on the reference disk that we don't get here, all but two are freely available on the internet.

Plus, now that the spell has been broken and the padlock on the vault has been smashed, we will hopefully be getting more in due course.

Yes, let's see more use of 'Oh, give us yer money' or even 'Hand it over, hand it over, hand it over'.

You're an adult and no-one has a gun pointed to your head. "You could have said no if you'd wanted to".

Last edited:
If you're going to pre-order on Amazon, don't dilly-dally. If the price goes up, you still pay the price you ordered at. If it goes down, they refund you the difference.

(To Amazon: please pm me to arrange payment of my fee for this message).

I pre ordered the 5 vinyl deluxe this morning and I got some sort of discount. So with shipping to North America, I got the vinyl deluxe for.

Item Subtotal: £48.13
Postage & Packing: £3.08

Order Total: £51.21

So this must be Marr's coming soon news.
I remember having this on cassette so I was anxious to see what the CD would have. Disappointed that it's not the full show! I don't know why they put out partial product, "Rank" is missing songs (really, you put out your only live album and arguably your most famous/best song "How Soon Is Now?" you leave off?).....if it's due to space on CD, they should just add another freaking disc.....or better yet, make it a DOWNLOAD in MP3/something lossless. #endrant

Agreed about it being strange to release a partial product, as in not the entire live concert. Maybe with all the reissue fervor we'll eventually get a reissued full concert Rank?

Agreed about it being strange to release a partial product, as in not the entire live concert. Maybe with all the reissue fervor we'll eventually get a reissued full concert Rank?

I posted this above, but it's apparently par for the course that Smith's soundboard tapes are not complete concerts, because of the limitations of C90 cassettes. If you look at what's missing, it would be realistic to suppose that what we are getting might actually be everything that was committed to tape that night.

I believe that the missing songs from Rank were all taped and that the recordings do still exist, though, so fingers crossed. Not before a CD2 of Troy Tate tracks, though.

Tags
tqid reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom