"The Queen Is Dead" 12" vinyl (2017, Warner Bros. UK) listed on Discogs - Help needed

hello there everyone
I need help with this release
I have a copy and a few copies to sell
These are proper, legitimate Warner releases
and still i find ZERO info on any website, forum, anywhere
I have practically checked everything and found no info whatsoever
which seems very strange indeed....
anyone knows about this? maybe someone also has a copy????
mail me or write here, ok?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Smiths-The-Queen-Is-Dead/release/9690729
[email protected]

39579_queen_is_dead_single_sleeve.jpg

Tracklist
A1 The Queen Is Dead 6:05
B1 Oscillate Wildly 3:26
B2 Money Changes Everything 4:10
B3 The Draize Train 5:08

39580_queen_is_dead_single_2.jpg

39581_queen_is_dead_single_3.jpg

39582_queen_is_dead_single_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the "Morrissey Marr Rourke Joyce" thing is a nice rhyme but is confusing (as the instruments correlate to the wrong names) if you don't work out it's a rhyme and appears nowhere else in the Smiths canon.

Weren't the credits printed that way on the US 12" single (& CD single)
of 'Sweet & Tender Hooligan'?

If it was gonna be a record store day release how long typically until warners would start promoting or advertising it as such

If it was gonna be a record store day release how long typically until warners would start promoting or advertising it as such
I don't think they do really, RSD have in the past just released the list of all that years records, a couple of months before the day, and that's all even the ones that are not limited sell out within weeks Ltd ones on the day. 22/04/2017.

I don't think they do really, RSD have in the past just released the list of all that years records, a couple of months before the day, and that's all even the ones that are not limited sell out within weeks Ltd ones on the day. 22/04/2017.

I guess I just meant anyone announces. So that means we'll know soon if it's gonna be on the list

Hello - I am UK based and bought one of these records from the seller. I am no expert but only an avid collector, IMO this appears to be an official release. If not it is the highest quality bootleg I have ever seen! I am simply delighted to have it in my collection, and I am happy to take a punt on the cost.
Its a really lovely item, so thank you.

Kind regards

Hello - I am UK based and bought one of these records from the seller. I am no expert but only an avid collector, IMO this appears to be an official release. If not it is the highest quality bootleg I have ever seen! I am simply delighted to have it in my collection, and I am happy to take a punt on the cost.
Its a really lovely item, so thank you.

Kind regards
Well you will be in a great position to photograph it for everyone then. If the delightful Swiss buyer who immediately valued his copy (which he chose to sell) at 150+ pounds is to be believed - you now own the (aprox) 27th most valuable Smiths record (based on Record Collector) with absolutely zero provenance whatsoever. There are plenty of convincing counterfeit records in existence and people humour the dregs that do this by buying them - as pretty as the coloured vinyl may be (The Smiths pink or blue vinyl comes to mind). I am simply questioning the authenticity of this - if I'd received a box of 'accidentally' early records, I'd of shown the box, invoice and anything possible to reassure a buyer - especially if I could be found on google with framed pictures of Moz. I certainly wouldn't sell a 'few' then find more, then try to Ebay one and withdraw my listing whilst my 'friend' found a different source and immediately listed it on discogs for a greatly increased price. This was 'launched' mysteriously - with the person selling it providing the discogs reference information themselves (and taken as real with no other evidence). The spreadsheet is available in 2 versions (Dollars & Euros) authored at the exact same time by a 'Dario Farni' and the lack of information doesn't help. People simply accepting this without questioning are possibly more 'bot-minded' than anyone trying to show due diligence before coughing up a lot of money.
Anyway, a dry white beckons,
FWD.

Postman tried to deliver mine today, but was at work so will have to go to the depot to collect it on Wednesday. Happy to take pics etc, but not sure what more I can post than the original seller has done already.

Bootlegs being mistaken for official releases is one thing, it happens all the time.
But when was the last time an official release was disputed as being a fake?

Bootlegs being mistaken for official releases is one thing, it happens all the time.
But when was the last time an official release was disputed as being a fake?
Given the lack of evidence to substantiate the 'realness' of this particular release - how is your question valid in this context? In 'normal' circumstances, Warners would list their 7&12" QID PICTURE discs on a spreadsheet (maybe) and people would buy copies in advance to stock their shelves. The records wouldn't turn in to black vinyl whilst the 7" vanished altogether. The codes would trace back to the items, the items would appear in more than a couple of slavik-type shops by accident - with this year's date on despite being 'ready' last year (did they just make them or put new sleeves and stickers on the vinyl!?).
To answer your question - I doubt anything released in an 'official' manner comes under question - this record, however, hardly fits that description at the moment.
FWD.

Given the lack of evidence to substantiate the 'realness' of this particular release - how is your question valid in this context? In 'normal' circumstances, Warners would list their 7&12" QID PICTURE discs on a spreadsheet (maybe) and people would buy copies in advance to stock their shelves. The records wouldn't turn in to black vinyl whilst the 7" vanished altogether. The codes would trace back to the items, the items would appear in more than a couple of slavik-type shops by accident - with this year's date on despite being 'ready' last year (did they just make them or put new sleeves and stickers on the vinyl!?).
To answer your question - I doubt anything released in an 'official' manner comes under question - this record, however, hardly fits that description at the moment.
FWD.

Exactly my point, official releases never come under question. Which leads me to believe this QID is not official, there is nothing to substantiate it whatsoever.

How obscure!

So, this means it's a US release surely?

Or someone copied this one case.

Doesn't really clear up why it's done tbh
No it, but it does shoot down the last of the points in the post #215 .

Random people are not being shot down, just the ideas. Anonymous stated Fake and gave 3 reasons why, Irregular regular disproved the first two, and GMS the last. Why they credited like this is anyones guess, why they bothered at all is another, I don't no many records where band members are named individually, maybe the rhyme was spotted and some one said use it. It doesn't matter, but has as been stated it's obscure enough to be of interest in this case, when I first saw it, it bothered me that Morrissey would ok artwork with the name Joyce on it when it's not strictly necessary, but GMS shows it's happened before, and in the same unusual way.

Bit confused by this.
Assuming that both these spreadsheets made by 'Dario' at exactly 8:12 are legitimate WB's selling in sheets - then, besides this record not featuring on either of these sheets (i.e. not a picture disc) there are a few concerns:
Why is a Russian record shop being offered stock priced in dollars for a country that uses rubles and sells its products online in Euros? That is hardly anything to do with what country you order from. Also, this shop openly sells bootlegs which I'm sure Warners wouldn't approve of. Oddly, the other spreadsheet is sourced from a Slovenian shop - which is exactly the same as the Russian one - very odd - and they get offered products in Euros...something doesn't sit right here. The whole provenance for this disc is 2 mysterious spreadsheets on 2 identical online shop fronts - hmmm! I see the ridiculously priced record has sold or been removed - I look forward to seeing it in the next Record Collector update.
Regards,
FWD.
Untitled.jpg

A Russian business is sold stock in Dollars rather than a volatile currency like Ruble especially if the stock list covers months, (The worst-performing major currency in the world in 2016 happens to be the Russian ruble, according to Barchart.com's Forex Year-To-Date Highs/Lows). If you're selling an item to a company for 5000ruble you need to be certain it's $14 and not $11 just because Putins got a cold, and you're being shown prices in euro on the site, because it sees your in europe thats why the language defaults to English. The Slovienian shop is offered stock in euros because it's in europe and that's its currency, a much more stable currency than the ruble and one the worlds used to dealing in.

Why picture disc?

Why picture disc?
As the 7 and 12 are denoted as LTD picture discs on both versions of the spreadsheet - a spreadsheet asserted to be used to place the order that provided the quantity for sale that then morphed in to black vinyl.
The sites are in different countries yet are identical shop fronts - unless they are cookie cutter webshops, both places use the same pictures for their 'shop' and have near identical logos - bit odd for 2 different countries? There's no reason why a Russian record shop can't use the same spreadsheet and use Euros. It's all too weird for myself - especially when information has to be dug for at this level.
Regards,
FWD.

Bit confused by this.
Assuming that both these spreadsheets made by 'Dario' at exactly 8:12 are legitimate WB's selling in sheets - then, besides this record not featuring on either of these sheets (i.e. not a picture disc) there are a few concerns:
Why is a Russian record shop being offered stock priced in dollars for a country that uses rubles and sells its products online in Euros? That is hardly anything to do with what country you order from. Also, this shop openly sells bootlegs which I'm sure Warners wouldn't approve of. Oddly, the other spreadsheet is sourced from a Slovenian shop - which is exactly the same as the Russian one - very odd - and they get offered products in Euros...something doesn't sit right here. The whole provenance for this disc is 2 mysterious spreadsheets on 2 identical online shop fronts - hmmm! I see the ridiculously priced record has sold or been removed - I look forward to seeing it in the next Record Collector update.
Regards,
FWD.
View attachment 41117

There's no real mystery here. It's a Slovenian shop which has a separate website offering its stuff to international customers in English and Russian. Prices are in euros because Slovenia is in the Eurozone. And AFAICT they are not selling anything illegal. Unofficial Beatles and Rolling Stones CDs are not necessarily bootlegs anymore, because early radio sessions etc are now public domain in Europe.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom