Morrissey Central "THE PULL OF THE EARTH" (January 12, 2023)

jeff-beck-1985-portrait-billboard-1548.jpg

Jeff Beck, who played guitar on Morrissey's "Black Cloud" (from Years Of Refusal, 2009), has died.

"We are losing so many, so quickly, that it is difficult to stay sane and to keep your thoughts strong. Are we all dreaming? The greats of pop and rock music are now almost entirely wiped-out.

Jeff raised the guitar to a higher plane. Watching and listening to him play on Black Cloud … I hadn't ever seen anything like it. He turned the guitar into an adventure for everyone who listened to him. He was also very easy company, and funny, and his death is a stark message for the rest of us. I am privileged beyond words to have witnessed Jeff's greatness. But it's not enough to simply say those words. The days are darker now."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Black Cloud is among my top 10 Moz solo songs, if i might say so. Didn't know that Jeff Beck plays the guitar on it, but i always thought that there was something unusual and therefore appealing to it which i couldn't put my finger on.
I don't know if he plays on the whole song, but that's definitely Beck playing the opening 20 seconds - he's got a very distinctive vibrato. That warbling ending 10 seconds sounds like him as well.

Message very Moz ! It's good that he pays tribute, but that doesn't mean the days will be darker now! Moz should be more optimistic!!! Moz is watching as those who are bigger than him leave, go to another plane and that's life. and death:u

Yes. People die. Famous people die. And it has literally no direct relation to you, Morrissey. Regardless if he played on your album 10 years ago.

Get a grip man!

How will he go on when Nancy Sinatra dies, for shit sake? Or has she already died? Can’t be bothered to google.

MS

I don't know if he plays on the whole song, but that's definitely Beck playing the opening 20 seconds - he's got a very distinctive vibrato. That warbling ending 10 seconds sounds like him as well.

It’s an auspicious opening.

Yes. People die. Famous people die. And it has literally no direct relation to you, Morrissey. Regardless if he played on your album 10 years ago.

Get a grip man!

How will he go on when Nancy Sinatra dies, for shit sake? Or has she already died? Can’t be bothered to google.

MS
If moz remained silent, people would be like....WHAT? no tribute to jeff beck?!?!?!?

Still waiting for the Bowie tribute post. Wonder how he'll react when one of The Smiths passes? (Presuming he's not the first)

Someone asked who the person on the sample was in the beginning of Black Cloud, so I was looking for the answer just the other day and came across this quote, which I thought was sweet. Sorry if this has already been posted.

"The rumour was that he only talked to vegetarians! Well, I've been a vegetarian a f--king sight longer than he has! Chrissie Hynde was the catalyst between us. I met them at the bar in the Sunset Marquis during cocktail hour. They were s--tfaced. Morrissey leant over to Chrissie and I thought he wanted to leave. Chrissie turned to me and said, 'He's too shy to say it, but he would like you to play on a track on his album.' The next day I found a CD under my door with a note from Morrissey saying, 'It was really nice meeting you, would you play on this track?' We knocked it out in a couple of hours. He was charming: I never thought he would even give me the light of day."

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/morrissey/black-cloud

yeah, agree. I always thought the ending was a real missed opportunity, the song just stops. For me, if Jeff beck is in the song then let him be Jeff beck for 30 or 40 seconds, don’t just stop the song just when it sounds like he is warming up.

I know that isn’t a morrissey thing to do but it was a missed opportunity. They may as well have asked him to play the triangle….

I love that Moz writes for all his fans !!! It's very communicative... I hope he keeps writing, but I want more optimism in Moz, not so much drama with the death of the people he admires. I wonder who is the most beloved today, who is number one on Morrissey's most intense love scale. Who will be the most important person for Moz now? :unsure:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom