Morrissey Central "THE PULL OF THE EARTH" (January 12, 2023)

jeff-beck-1985-portrait-billboard-1548.jpg

Jeff Beck, who played guitar on Morrissey's "Black Cloud" (from Years Of Refusal, 2009), has died.

"We are losing so many, so quickly, that it is difficult to stay sane and to keep your thoughts strong. Are we all dreaming? The greats of pop and rock music are now almost entirely wiped-out.

Jeff raised the guitar to a higher plane. Watching and listening to him play on Black Cloud … I hadn't ever seen anything like it. He turned the guitar into an adventure for everyone who listened to him. He was also very easy company, and funny, and his death is a stark message for the rest of us. I am privileged beyond words to have witnessed Jeff's greatness. But it's not enough to simply say those words. The days are darker now."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

A great tribute. He can be such a fantastic writer of prose.

Beck was an undefined and unmanageable genius who defied many of the categories that have been crudely foisted upon him so far today. So, instead of playing H-OSL, Bolero or (the good lord forbid) 'Black Cloud', remember him this way

Beck was an undefined and unmanageable genius who defied many of the categories that have been crudely foisted upon him so far today. So, instead of playing H-OSL, Bolero or (the good lord forbid) 'Black Cloud', remember him this way

I doubt there’s a person alive who’d rather listen to Black Cloud, in preference to that wonder.

it's true, aubrey, no need to look so astonished!!! i saw both of them IN THE FLESH just a lil over 2 months ago, so i know for a fact that they are alive and well and still ridiculously sexy!

it's true, aubrey, no need to look so astonished!!! i saw both of them IN THE FLESH just a lil over 2 months ago, so i know for a fact that they are alive and well and still ridiculously sexy!

Yes, I do remember that. I saw Nicky Wire in the flesh once as well, in what you even might say was his long-legged prime, and I don't know, I didn't come away thinking I'd seen a demigod. But that is a dispute over taste. Should a remembrance thread be shat on, though? Hmm. I guess that's a matter of taste as well. You do raise some good points.

Yes, I do remember that. I saw Nicky Wire in the flesh once as well, in what you even might say was his long-legged prime, and I don't know, I didn't come away thinking I'd seen a demigod. But that is a dispute over taste. Should a remembrance thread be shat on, though? Hmm. I guess that's a matter of taste as well. You do raise some good points.
that's a little harsh. i just wanted moz to chillax. it sounded like he was working himself up into a state :(

Oh, I see. My apologies, then. I read you wrong. I don't think Morrissey is working himself up, though. I think he's getting used to the passing of greats and friends, and he's resigned to things. It would be nice if he could see NW and NC in the same light as you do. Then he'd have reasons to be cheerful indeed.

A great tribute Mr Shandy...He demonstrates here how beautifully a guitar can be played, and how it can be entwined into an orchestra, rather than it just beingTwanged or smashed up all over the parish.
He will be missed by so many.

Rifkie ... you have demonstrated yet again that you have the Tact and Diplomacy of a raging Rhinoceros rampaging through a children’s
Hospice....
Learn some respect and manners
Please.

Life tends to come and go. Remember and celebrate all the good times and memories and be inspired.
Steve’s gushing tribute must be a real hammer blow to Jesse though. Ouch.

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

Saw him at Symphony Hall many moons ago (after YOR came out) - didn't disappoint.
Too many 'celeb' posts to put here sharing his clear influence.
Regards,
FWD.

Screenshot_20230112-071106.png
Screenshot_20230112-011618.png

Screenshot_20230112-201705.png

Black Cloud is among my top 10 Moz solo songs, if i might say so. Didn't know that Jeff Beck plays the guitar on it, but i always thought that there was something unusual and therefore appealing to it which i couldn't put my finger on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom