'The Priest' new Johnny Marr/Maxine Peake video & interview; Morrissey political gap mentioned

New promo video for 'The Priest' plus interview, in which the interviewer tries and fails to interest Johnny in Morrissey's politics:“I don’t really care about it very much. I really don’t. It’s just a kind of story for other people. Genuinely, it’s, like, who cares?”

Johnny Marr and Maxine Peake: ‘You can’t avoid homelessness in Manchester. It touched us both’ - The Guardian

Excerpt:

Of late, the political gap between him and his former creative partner in the Smiths has become increasingly obvious. Marr says he was “crushed and heartbroken” by the vote for Brexit, whereas Morrissey seemed to rejoice in it. Though Marr has remained firmly on the political left, Morrissey now seems to champion the reactionary right. How does he feel about the fact that they have seemingly ended up at opposite ends of the political spectrum?

“I don’t really care about it very much. I really don’t. It’s just a kind of story for other people. Genuinely, it’s, like, who cares?”

But it’s true, isn’t it? They have diverged, massively.

“I’ve stayed the same. I’ve never changed. But … people tend to forget that it was 30 years ago that we were in a band together. Stop and think about it: 30 years. It’s a long time. So I honestly don’t care very much.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview published in "The Guardian" this morning, conducted by John Harris (ex-NME hack, currently the Aldi Noam Chomsky for Cappuccino Corbynistas).

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/dec/11/johnny-marr-and-maxine-peake-you-cant-avoid-homelessness-in-manchester-it-touched-us-both

Promotion for a 'track' Johnny & Maxine have created, with a short film co-directed by Marr ~

As ever, you can take the bowl-cut boy out of the NME, but you can never take the NME out of the bowl-cut boy.
Cue:

"Of late, the political gap between him and his former creative partner in the Smiths has become increasingly obvious. Marr says he was “crushed and heartbroken” by the vote for Brexit, whereas Morrissey seemed to rejoice in it. Though Marr has remained firmly on the political left, Morrissey now seems to champion the reactionary right. How does he feel about the fact that they have seemingly ended up at opposite ends of the political spectrum?

“I don’t really care about it very much. I really don’t. It’s just a kind of story for other people. Genuinely, it’s, like, who cares?”

“I’ve stayed the same. I’ve never changed. But … people tend to forget that it was 30 years ago that we were in a band together. Stop and think about it: 30 years. It’s a long time. So I honestly don’t care very much
.”

Is it natural and real to stay the same and never change in 30 years? Clearly, John Harris' barber thinks so. But í mean, otherwise...generally?

Has the world changed or have í changed? Etceteraah...

Ghastly ghastly boring "song", like some crippled pauper bastard from second Black Box Recorder album.

Johnny Marr has more talent and future in his pinky finger than Morrissey has squandered in the last 25 years. ...and nonsensical critique and commentary of the sort you’ve provided only make you look like a deaf, bitter-ass twat. You mad, son? You definitely need Q-tips and a good head-shake.

Keep it real shooter! ;)

Ever the class act. I have nothing but endless love and admiration for Marr.

That was a very powerful social commentary video.

Johnny Marr is class
“But there are so many things about being working class that never leave you entirely. A certain gratitude. A kind of humility, whether it’s forced on you or not. You could even call it guilt, I guess: working-class guilt.”

Last edited:
Interview published in "The Guardian" this morning, conducted by John Harris (ex-NME hack, currently the Aldi Noam Chomsky for Cappuccino Corbynistas).

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/dec/11/johnny-marr-and-maxine-peake-you-cant-avoid-homelessness-in-manchester-it-touched-us-both

Promotion for a 'track' Johnny & Maxine have created, with a short film co-directed by Marr ~

As ever, you can take the bowl-cut boy out of the NME, but you can never take the NME out of the bowl-cut boy.
Cue:

"Of late, the political gap between him and his former creative partner in the Smiths has become increasingly obvious. Marr says he was “crushed and heartbroken” by the vote for Brexit, whereas Morrissey seemed to rejoice in it. Though Marr has remained firmly on the political left, Morrissey now seems to champion the reactionary right. How does he feel about the fact that they have seemingly ended up at opposite ends of the political spectrum?

“I’ve stayed the same. I’ve never changed. But … people tend to forget that it was 30 years ago that we were in a band together. Stop and think about it: 30 years. It’s a long time. So I honestly don’t care very much
.”

Is it natural and real to stay the same and never change in 30 years? Clearly, John Harris' barber thinks so. But í mean, otherwise...generally?

Has the world changed or have í changed? Etceteraah...

Maybe Johnny stayed the same person but his musical output is a thin shadow of the quality of Morrissey's solo material. He must realise that himself.

Johnny Marr has more talent and future in his pinky finger than Morrissey has squandered in the last 25 years. ...and nonsensical critique and commentary of the sort you’ve provided only make you look like a deaf, bitter-ass twat. You mad, son? You definitely need Q-tips and a good head-shake.

Keep it real shooter! ;)

Where is that talent, ha, Anon IP Hash: b148ca696f? Where? This "song" is sorry shit of song. You know your life is in danger when you copy Luke Hains B-project.

John Harris is making a lot of assumptions there...[/QUOTE

Yes, but he doesn’t follow up on those assumptions with questions that could lead into answers creating more clarity.

So the assumptions stay assumptions and highly speculative and misleading.
Irrational and doubtful and just another example of bad and lazy journalism.
I don’t understand why, if it is so important to him.

It is the journalists task to get the person he is interviewing to talk and get insightful responses, not by tricking him up but getting insight in the person and doing him justice by quoting him correctly and truthfully.

A good journalist, I would suppose as he is NOT the person the readers might be interested in but the person he is interviewing.

'That was a very powerful social commentary video.' :lbf:

yeah, 'powerful':rolleyes: reminds me of this song, obviously a big inspiration behind their song...

Maybe Johnny stayed the same person but his musical output is a thin shadow of the quality of Morrissey's solo material. He must realise that himself.

Johnny Marr never did anything interesting since the Smiths ceased to exist.
And the Smiths would have been irrelevant without Morrissey.
I don't think a band that sounded like this would be still remembered:

(Doesn't it sound like Echo and the Bunnymen with a bad singer?)

'That was a very powerful social commentary video.' :lbf:

yeah, 'powerful':rolleyes: reminds me of this song, obviously a big inspiration behind their song...

That was a very powerful social commentary video

Phil Collins is class

I don't agree, I think Johnny's last two albums are about 50 times better than Morrissey's current solo record. I gave it a chance, but LIHS sounds like some sort of weird adult contemporary music with cringeworthy musical passages. Even Johnny's b-sides like "Psychic Beginner" is loads better than any of the songs on LIHS. Have you heard it? It's great, in fact I think Morrissey should cover it.

Boy, so many things to address here...

1.) The band in the video is not The Smiths minus Morrissey.

2.) So Morrissey and his current band would be "remembered" had they started together in 1982?

3.) Where would Morrissey be without Johnny? Considering he's not a musician/composer ... still in his bedroom trying to be the new Oscar Wilde meets Shelagh Delaney - just without music?

4.) How would Morrissey sound singing "There Is A Light..." while playing it on the guitar ... oh wait, he can't.

5.) There would never have been a Smiths without Morrissey AND Marr - period. I don't really get the need for some fans to denigrate Johnny's importance (and yes, he's done interesting things post-Smiths).

Last edited:

I liked his work with The The (particularly The Beat(en) Generation and Slow Emotion Replay) and some of his work on Electronic and Kirsty McColl but it pales in comparison to Moz.

Why does any thread about Johnny immediately descend into a 'which one is better' discussion. It's art, not a f***ing competition. I'm sure they are both happy with what they have achieved apart - Johnny surely isn't crying himself to sleep every night because he didn't get to write something like 'The Kid's a Looker', any more than Morrissey is jealous he didn't get to play with Girls Aloud. The only thing that unites them is that they used to be in the same band three decades ago. Neither of them has achieved the same level of artistic acclaim apart as they did together, but I'm sure they are both loving the freedom to do what the hell they like without worrying about what the other fella thinks.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom