The physical act of singing

A

Anonymous

I'm doing some research right now on the singing process and the importance it has for some singers. I can't sing at all but I am quite fascinated for some time with singers who describe the process with extreme passion. I can get my head around that more easily than around anything musical. In short, I love the dramatic singer. Some friend said I should include Morrissey for my research. So are there any good quotes about the act of singing or the feelings on stage from the man?

"As a very small child I found recorded noise and the solitary singer beneath the spotlight so dramatic and so brave... walking the plank... willingly... It was sink or swim. The very notion of standing there, alone, I found beautiful."

"We are touched inexplicably by the voice, the music, the sound, the words, the faces, the moment … and it stays with you until the day you die. You may temporarily go off certain songs and certain singers, but you return to them later on."

"When you, as the listener, are hit by a certain emotional quality, that quality … or the memory of it … doesn’t ever leave you because a genuinely poetic moment in life is not very frequent. You do not need to understand anything at all about musical structures because your heart is telling you that what you are hearing is magnificent."

"Of all of life’s vanities, the singing voice reveals the most."

“I am primarily interested in the singing voice. It reveals everything about a person, doesn’t it? Nasty people have nasty voices, and loving people have loving voices. When someone sings, you can clearly assess whether or not he is kind or considerate, or whether he’s the opposite. Singing is a bit like being naked — there’s nowhere to hide. As soon as someone starts to sing, something different happens to his face, to his mouth, to his eyes, to the way he stands. I’m constantly on the look-out for that singer who will rip me to shreds. Emotionally, of course. Not literally.”

"To sing an emotive song is not a confidence game – you cannot do it unless you feel it. [...] I also disagree with David Byrne when he uses the term ‘musical performance’ because if you have a true and physical need to sing a song then you are not performing. Performance is forced and artificial, and you are either a singer, or else you are... simply ... a costume."

"I honestly don't have the interest in playing an instrument. I always wanted to sing, with nothing at all blocking my path to the audience. An instrument is the perfect thing to hide behind - always busy adjusting pedals, fiddling with amp-settings, looking down, and never directly facing the very audience that you are presumably addressing."

I love his thoughts on singing.

For what it's worth, as mentioned on another thread here, I've been taking some introductory singing lessons. For those in bands I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's been incredibly helpful.

One of the things I learned was that the area of your brain that "works" most during singing is the area associated with emotions. That's why I said too that I think Moz is honestly just SPENT when he's done singing. The instructor also said that he believes Morrissey is an excellent vocalist.

I love his thoughts on singing.

For what it's worth, as mentioned on another thread here, I've been taking some introductory singing lessons. For those in bands I would HIGHLY recommend it. It's been incredibly helpful.

One of the things I learned was that the area of your brain that "works" most during singing is the area associated with emotions. That's why I said too that I think Moz is honestly just SPENT when he's done singing. The instructor also said that he believes Morrissey is an excellent vocalist.

the diction is also a big part for people just starting out singing. diction and singing from your chest instead of through your nose

It's important to be able to speak openly to a producer without measuring your words. And I'm not the type of person who hangs around in the studio and jams. I won't sing just any old thing because it feels too personal. I'm nervous about what's going to come out. It's important for a producer to understand that I'm not a technical singer. But I'm not precious. I don't spend a great deal of time doing take after take.

Re: The physical act of farting

See: the physical act of farting. Morrissey can sing Hester than Robert from the smiths his hysteretomy change his vie of reality an in it came mr smith a man so deep he broke his leg to survive. No cowar here his voice is great rest in peace

sometimes when i was younger, in order to help myself stay in key and not to overthink it or zone out, i would imagine a spot in front of me and imagine i was aiming my voice at it and the more i focused my voice on that spot in my visually in my minds eye i found i could help myself stay in key. a weird quirk but every singer has some i believe

Re: The physical act of farting

See: the physical act of farting. Morrissey can sing Hester than Robert from the smiths his hysteretomy change his vie of reality an in it came mr smith a man so deep he broke his leg to survive. No cowar here his voice is great rest in peace

James Joyce's Sister

Back
Top Bottom