The Operation

or maybe i just wanna think that because I have it inked on me
:rolleyes:

IM004044.jpg

That's awesome. :D And you just saved me the trouble of looking for a love/hate knuckle tattoo to post here.

You fight with your right hand
And caress with your left hand
Everyone I know is sick to death of you<a

With a tear that's a mile wide
In the kite that you're flying
Everyone I know is sick to death of you
Ever since
You don't look the same
You're just not the same, no way

Went from gender to gender

You say clever things and
You never used to

You don't catch what I'm saying
When you're deafened to advice
Everyone here is sick to the
Back teeth of you

With a tear that's a mile wide
In the kite that you're flying
Everyone here is sick to the
Tattoo of you

Ever since
You don't look the same
You say pleasant things and
There is no need to

Still, you fight with your right hand
And caress with your left hand
Ooh, ooh ...

Sad to say ...
How once I was in love with you
Sad to say ...

Was once the opposite sex

You don't catch what I'm saying
When you're deafened to advice
Ooh, ooh ...

Ever since
You don't look the same
What the hell have
They stuck into you ?

Now has a penis

I think you're wrong, or at least I hope you are.

This interpretation would have make it a quite transphobic song, which would have leave me truly disappointed.

i just found some moz comments thts fits in to the discussion

1988:

I’ve always felt closer to transsexuality than anything else.

1997, when talking about the song ‘Alma Matters’:

I think it means that we should be pleased and proud of the female side of our character, of our nature. Or if we’re female, we should be proud of the male side of our character and give it just as much import as the other side. So, everything’s fine, it doesn’t matter how you behave.

on the other hand
1994 mtv interview
Sexuality really bores me. I mean, I have a very, very strange attitude, I just see men as men and women as women, and I don’t really go beyond that. I mean, some men I hate, some women I hate, some men I really like, some women I really hate, you know. I’m a very peculiar person

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never taken the song that literally. I've always thought it was a general muse on people (or perhaps a specific person) being insincere and two faced. Also I think it's about how no one is really taken in by such people and can see through them.

I thought it was more about cosmetic surgery - like a nose job. Whenever I hear it I think of Courtney Love for some reason. Or people who change there appearance & with that change their personality too.

i could never made out what he mean with

"You fight with your right hand
And caress with your left hand "

can some native english speaker explain this?

ok, I think it means that the person is two-faced or possibly is the type of person that creates drama, possibly slightly unbalanced, or moody, that talks about their friends to other people behind their backs.

Sexuality really bores me.
sure. I don't happen to believe this for a second.

I mean, some men I hate, some women I hate, some men I really like, some women I really hate, you know.

alright so...

Men: hate (-1) Women: hate (-1) Men: really like (+2) Women: really hate (-3)

final score: Men (+1) Women (-4) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought Morrissey's lyrics were more literal and based on actual stories and people than many fans take them to be (not meaning they're any less poetic, mind).

I think at the end of the day he likes kitchen sink drama (mixed with a bit of "carry on" sex) filtered through his own unique way with words.

Partially playing devil's advocate here, but I do think The Operation is about something like a penis lengthening (or widening?) -- some kind of surgical procedure with results that would make someone's ego spin out of control. Always loved the track, obtuse drum solo and all.

i could never made out what he mean with

can some native english speaker explain this?

It's to do with boxing I think and the fact that there maybe a softer side to this particualar person, we don't know his sexualitly so it hangs in the balance and there is a bit of a grey area? Maybe i'm reading too much into it.

I remember reading around the time of SG's release that this line was about a guitarist. Can't remember if it was fact though or just someone's opinion :)

Can you elabolate bit more?

I don't think it's a song about sex change operation.

Someone said the lyrics reminded of her Pete Burns which I agree.

YES! Someone else finally sees it! When "Southpaw" came out and I heard, "The Operation" I immediately thought of Pete Burns. I'm from the decade who saw him in his video, "Brand New Lover" and honey, he doesn't look ANYTHING like that anymore. He's like that scary woman who had too much plastic surgery and resembles a feral cat.

YES! Someone else finally sees it! When "Southpaw" came out and I heard, "The Operation" I immediately thought of Pete Burns. I'm from the decade who saw him in his video, "Brand New Lover" and honey, he doesn't look ANYTHING like that anymore. He's like that scary woman who had too much plastic surgery and resembles a feral cat.

I always took the song to be about Jake, sort of a Sunny Part One, or Part Two, take your pick.

Jake had tattoos, "everyone is sick to the tattoo of you", did a bit of boxing (alledgedly) "you fight with your right hand" and was rumoured to have had a drug problem, "what hell have they stuck into you" a reference to heroin and hanging around with the wrong crowd (the wrong crowd part being a common Moz theme over the years).

Also (and this part may be a stretch) I kinda thought the line about 'there's a tear a mile wide in the kite that your flying' was sort of a metaphor describing the comedowns after getting high. in other words you might be flying high now, but due to the way you're doing it (chemically) you're gonna come down to earth with a crash.

I'm not that obsessive about his subject matter or the Jake angle, i.e I don't think every song he writes about relationships is about his relationship with either Jake or Johnny for that matter, but I do think he's knocked out a fair few on the 'subject' particularly I'd suggest circa 1995 when Jake disappeared from view.

Like King Leer I think a lot of Morrissey's songs are a lot more 'actual' than a most fans think. i.e many of them are based on fragments of real life experience. Such as Swallow On My Neck (which has been dissected on these boards before) is not a metaphor for anything poetic rather it's simply about some guy actually giving him a hickey.

As for songs about Jake I'd say apart from The Operation (don't read too much into the title) you could throw in Sunny, Whatever Happens, Camden, Boyfriend (whoops!) I mean, Best Friend On The Payroll and Swallow On My neck as definites.

I always took the song to be about Jake, sort of a Sunny Part One, or Part Two, take your pick.

Jake had tattoos, "everyone is sick to the tattoo of you", did a bit of boxing (alledgedly) "you fight with your right hand" and was rumoured to have had a drug problem, "what hell have they stuck into you" a reference to heroin and hanging around with the wrong crowd (the wrong crowd part being a common Moz theme over the years).

Also (and this part may be a stretch) I kinda thought the line about 'there's a tear a mile wide in the kite that your flying' was sort of a metaphor describing the comedowns after getting high. in other words you might be flying high now, but due to the way you're doing it (chemically) you're gonna come down to earth with a crash.

I'm not that obsessive about his subject matter or the Jake angle, i.e I don't think every song he writes about relationships is about his relationship with either Jake or Johnny for that matter, but I do think he's knocked out a fair few on the 'subject' particularly I'd suggest circa 1995 when Jake disappeared from view.

Like King Leer I think a lot of Morrissey's songs are a lot more 'actual' than a most fans think. i.e many of them are based on fragments of real life experience. Such as Swallow On My Neck (which has been dissected on these boards before) is not a metaphor for anything poetic rather it's simply about some guy actually giving him a hickey.

As for songs about Jake I'd say apart from The Operation (don't read too much into the title) you could throw in Sunny, Whatever Happens, Camden, Boyfriend (whoops!) I mean, Best Friend On The Payroll and Swallow On My neck as definites.

Hmmm, Sunny actually is a tribute to Alain's brother who lost his life for overdose.

Can you elabolate bit more?

I don't think it's a song about sex change operation.

Someone said the lyrics reminded of her Pete Burns which I agree.

I couldn't help noticing that myself.
Purely hypothetical examples, Dave.;)

I love his laughter at the end.:horny:

I find it so sexy when he raises his eyebrows for emphasis!

Hmmm, Sunny actually is a tribute to Alain's brother who lost his life for overdose.

To be honest I've heard 2 theories about that song. Actually I've heard more than 22 theories on that song and it being about Alain's brother is one of them.

I've also heard that it was written about Jakes habit so I guess you can feel free to pick either theory.

It is sung in a very personal way (and while I'll admit that Moz has a fantastic ability to inhabit someone else's skin and sing intimately from their point of view) the personal and direct lyric of the song 'so i offered love and it was not required' makes me think that out of all the theories floating around it is more likely to be about Jake.

I'm also swayed due to the time frame it was written in: 1995 a year when he penned I think the majority of his Jake inspired songs.

It's interesting to me because if you really dissect the lyrics which lets face it, 99% of us do, in 1995 he stopped singing about homosexual longing and his songs started to alluding to homosexual fulfillment and even just sexual fulfillment which hadn't really happened before.

His songs in this era allueded to failed relations whereas morrissey songs previously discussed his failure to HAVE a relationship. Which when you think about it, especially in respect to Morrissey's celibacy and lyrical content of the previous 12 years is quite a seismic shift topic.

so Sunny for me is also a Jake song.

Except Jake was not a drug addict. That was just a theory put around by fans with too much time on their hands. Nor was he a boxer or a cockney. And where are his tattoos?

Tags
jake lyrics
Back
Top Bottom