The OFFICIAL tell me something about Los Angeles thread

WinkWink

Banned
I am looking to move to a warm climate (can't stand winters anymore. i currently live in NYC). I work in film/tv so i am probably going to move to LA sometime in the next 6 months. I've never been to LA and don't know anything about it. tell me something about it. like what are the good neighborhoods? boring neighborhoods? other neighborhoods to avoid? what's the rental prices? how's mass transportation (i am so used to the efficient mass transportation of New York City)? how are the people like? give me pros, give me cons.

basically just tell me anything you want to say about Los Angeles.

The cops don't like you there if you're black...

I really liked LA....as long as you stay out of certain parts...Long Beach neighborhoods look extremely dreadful (at least where I went) and I heard that south central area isn't that great either. I liked West Hollywood (Duuuh! you can, however, find some nice cheap appartments around sunset blvd close to hollywood blvd...go to www.rent.com). I wish I could move there sooner...!!!!

Ok, well it's a great city. I've lived 20 minutes away from it my whole life. A neighboring city, Pasadena....my favourite city in California....that would be a really nice place to live. It reminds me a lot of new york, esp Old Town Pasadena. Beautiful city. As far as rent, I'm not sure but will check it out and let you know. I'm sure you can find a great deal though. LA has a lot of culture obviously. About 15 min-half an hour from the beach and an half an hour to an hour from the mountains, and excellent close-by spots to overlook the city at night. And just enjoy the beauty at night. The cops, well that's a different story. My best friend is against any cop, they always hassle him. Just obey laws, and they'll be cool with you. Some ronchy parts of LA.....compton....and my mind is totally blank. SORRY! Cons: traffic obviously. There is the metro though. Identical to the NY one most likely. I do wish we had a subway like NY, cuz those things rock! But oh well....:) Let's see what else?? Oh yeah, the smog. It sucks....but your prob use to it. If I think of anything else...I'll let you know! Oh yeah, and the food is good! Some great restuarants. ;)

I am from Los Angeles and I loathe it
if Disneyland is the happiest place on earth :rolleyes:
then Los Angeles is the fakest by far
sadly this is hard for many visitors to see about our fraud filled 'city'(of course, it is not really even a city @ all, not in the real sense)
in addition, the many of liars, cheats and thieves that my 'land' raises are also unable to see the long term corrosive effects L.A. has on the soul
and most of these have never really lived anywhere else! :eek:
thankfully
L.A. is not the world :eek:
and not too far from it is a real city where many of my fellow Angelinos have fled to
GGB_12-02_740.jpg

San Francisco
however
I do get homesick from time to time, but then I go down there and always quickly remember why I left

ps: in almost 30 years of living in L.A. I lived all over it
Whittier, OC, West L.A., Hollywood...

What Robby said. I don't blame anyone for hating L.A. All I ask is that they earn the right to spew their venom, and he has.

Everything people are told is rotten about Los Angeles is true. But there's much that is good, too, existing side by side. The people who like L.A. screen out what they don't like. I've lived outside of L.A. (including right now) and I can attest that while it gets harder to ignore the bad stuff when you've lived elsewhere, it's still possible.

Many wondered how Morrissey survived there, but he tapped into the same thing those happy Angelenos have. Namely, there's tremendous freedom. It's largely a blank canvas. You can do what you like and carve out your own niche-- although nothing will save you from the traffic.

If you're in film and TV, your favorite spots would likely be mine, although I am just a fan: Hollywood and Westwood, by far, are the best neighborhoods but the latter is pretty expensive to live in. (Hollywood is worth it for the Arclight Theater alone.) Santa Monica is lovely but numbingly sterile. Silverlake I'm not sure about. Too many hipsters. The beachy areas south of the city are nice, and a lot of my friends live in the Valley, which is cheaper but much...flatter, in all respects.

P.S. San Francisco is indeed a far more beautiful city, but whereas L.A. has suffocating smog, San Francisco chokes from its snobs. Depends on your personal preference. Many's the time I've descended through a solid brown stripe of muck into LAX, but that was somehow much less aggravating than the condescending schmucks I met up north. No offense, Robby, I'm sure you're not one of them.

Last edited:
i may indeed be a condescending schmuck :eek:

ps: hey worm
'eva' from chat likes your posts
i wonder do you know her in NY, ny?

ps2: i have loved NY everytime i visited
but you really cannot learn much about a place
no matter how many times you go there for only a week or less :o

i may indeed be a condescending schmuck :eek:

Doubt it.

Don't know Eva. I don't know any Moz-soloists here except for a few Old Tyme folks.

New York's a great city but I have it on good authority, from people who have lived all their lives here, that the city's been brutally scoured by Mr. Giuliani and it's not the place it was 20 years ago. Having said that, I was accosted by a homeless man yesterday who told me wild tales of drug use in a playground and sex acts in the middle of the street in the Village, so maybe there's hope for a renaissance of filth. He had a bright, Messianic gleam in his eye-- the one eye that still worked, natch.

Doubt it.

Don't know Eva. I don't know any Moz-soloists here except for a few Old Tyme folks.

New York's a great city but I have it on good authority, from people who have lived all their lives here, that the city's been brutally scoured by Mr. Giuliani and it's not the place it was 20 years ago. Having said that, I was accosted by a homeless man yesterday who told me wild tales of drug use in a playground and sex acts in the middle of the street in the Village, so maybe there's hope for a renaissance of filth. He had a bright, Messianic gleam in his eye-- the one eye that still worked, natch.

what a sweet story
and by the way
rudi aint all bad
was he? :eek:

what a sweet story
and by the way
rudi aint all bad
was he? :eek:

Depends on your point of view. What was sacrificed to make New York a safe, attractive city? I really can't answer that. It was before my time. What I see today is a great city that is very slowly becoming a corporate, soulless, bland, gated community dominated by the super-wealthy elite and their yuppie field lieutenants. It ain't Santa Monica yet, but Lou Reed's New York is definitely in the rear-view mirror.

Depends on your point of view. What was sacrificed to make New York a safe, attractive city? I really can't answer that. It was before my time. What I see today is a great city that is very slowly becoming a corporate, soulless, bland, gated community dominated by the super-wealthy elite and their yuppie field lieutenants. It ain't Santa Monica yet, but Lou Reed's New York is definitely in the rear-view mirror.
=
sad
cuz yeah
that means its becoming L.A. but without all the purdy people :eek:
not that SF people look half bad
of course
many are not from here
also
I have a theory
the more gay people in a place the prettier the people are
mainly cuz
you know
even you are a straight guy
you still want to be attractive enough that guy's check you out :D
&
well, the women know that they have to compete with boys :)

=
sad
cuz yeah
that means its becoming L.A. but without all the purdy people :eek:
not that SF people look half bad
of course
many are not from here
also
I have a theory
the more gay people in a place the prettier the people are
mainly cuz
you know
even you are a straight guy
you still want to be attractive enough that guy's check you out :D
&
well, the women know that they have to compete with boys :)

Oh yes. Fifth and Madison Avenues, and the areas around Chelsea and Soho, are incredible locations-- and extremely intimidating if you're a guy. But in a way it's easier. The men are so much better looking, so well put-together, that you sort of give up before you start.

I suppose what's happening is a bit sad, but I don't want to sound misleading. I love the city and I can't imagine living anyplace else in the States. Except L.A., for which I still have a soft spot. SF? Again, the city itself and the surrounding towns are about as lovely as it gets. It really is a blessed spot. In particular I like the redwood forests up the 101, and Berzerkely's always fun for a day trip (in more ways than one). But I dunno. I've always clashed with the place. I can't get it to like me, and damn it all, Robby, I've given it my best shot.

Worm claims:

Many wondered how Morrissey survived there, but he tapped into the same thing those happy Angelenos have. Namely, there's tremendous freedom. It's largely a blank canvas. You can do what you like and carve out your own niche-- although nothing will save you from the traffic.

Turning to the facts, Morrissey told us:

Los Angeles is...essentially a police state. The city belongs to the police, no one else. Everywhere you go there are police - watching, watching, and waiting for any reason - for no reason - to jump on people. Consequently, the people of Los Angeles are very nervous about everything - about parking their car, about driving too slowly, about crossing the road the wrong way, about sneezing without a permit, etc. If you walk down a street humming in Los Angeles you are immediately considered to be suspicious. Once you're arrested, the courts always support whatever the police say regardless of what that is. In Rome, the police are very casual, and they don't threaten people because they seem to quite rightly think that most people don't actually intend to break the law. This gains the police respect. In Los Angeles, the police believe that everyone is guilty of intending to commit a major crime - to know is to be guilty,etc. Rome has struck me as being a very safe city, and not at all uptight, which is a contrasting relief against the pressures of Los Angeles.

Quite a contrast between Worm's imagination and Morrissey's dreadful reality.

Normally I would think the above rant is just Morrissey spouting off again, but we have read the newspapers:

LA Times:
The Los Angeles Police Department's expanding corruption scandal is the worst to strike the force since the 1930s--an era when mayors were crooks and L.A. cops were bagmen and bombers.

AP:
One of the largest police corruption scandals in the city's history has yielded revelations of officers dealing drugs, planting guns on innocent people and even a suggestion that one helped plan the murder of a rap star.

But perhaps most surprising of all is the lack of community outrage in a city that spawned virulent riots in 1992 and 1965 after perceived police misconduct.

"I don't know what it is about L.A.," said Ramona Ripston, executive director of the Southern California American Civil Liberties Union. "I'm shocked by the lack of response."

More.

No, no outrage from the good people of Southern California, even after that city became an emabarassment to the entire country as we watched their racial riots and OJ Simpson trials. Instead they'll tell us how much more "freedom" there is in L.A. compared with the rest of the country!

Morrissey lived in L.A. strictly out of convenience and it nearly ruined his career. Buying a house there was an unplanned accident while he fled England due to lawsuits and media harassment. Yes, it makes sense that someone in showbiz would temporarily reside there out of convenience, but happy he was not. He went nearly a decade without releasing a single song while locked up inside his Los Angeles mansion in misery. He finally managed to force out one album during his L.A. ordeal, then sold his house, moved to Rome, and tells us he's never been happier.

Morrissey's main co-songwriter may prove unable to survive the L.A. hell. When we found him again on the Craig Kilborn show to perform an early version of "First of the Gang to Die", Alain shocked us by looking overweight and depressed. In recent years he's had a constant struggle with mysterious ailments, most likely suicidal depression. He tried forming a Los Angeles band, Red Lightning, and none of his talents were evident. They have disbanded. Boz, whom I believe spends much time in Spain and plays music in all kinds of nice out of the way towns when not on tour with Morrissey, has not gone off his rails like Alain did.

If you want true freedom, I'd say your best bet is a beautiful state such as Wyoming. Or, if you're more adventurous, Alaska. If you want to be around nice, down to earth, truly individualistic people, I'd recommend a friendly, quirky state like Wisconsin, where thinking for yourself is still part of the genetic code. If you're a pussy about the cold, find the warmer equivalants of such decent, happier places where one can exist away from most of the rampant suckage and sucky people.

If you wanna brush up against the so-called "beautiful people" and you don't mind getting a permit before you can sneeze, by all means move to Los Angeles and hope the cops don't plant shit on ya while you're going to all the trendy "hot spots".

Worm tells us:
If you're in film and TV, your favorite spots would likely be mine, although I am just a fan

Morrissey has told us the other reason he fled L.A. It was because of the constant, horrendous stalking by celebrity-obsessed Southern Californian fans. Lord knows his privacy would've been far more respected by, say, people from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
As far as Worm's bizarre attack on Mayor Giuliani, the overwhelming consensus from the people of New York is that he was such a good mayor he should be referred to as "America's Mayor." Part of Worm's problem with Giuliani is that Worm has a voyeuristic fetish for a grittier, more crime-ridden, and miserable New York from watching films such as Taxi Driver. He doesn't much care about the happiness or prosperity of the people, let alone having to endure the daily harassments of squeegy men. He just wants to see more gritty New York movies for his own DVD amusement.

Miserable people exist to Worm for the purpose of props for his entertainment. He'll curse anyone who makes the New York he imagination from Lou Reed records a nicer place for those who live there.

I wouldn't personally live in New York, but obviously the quality of life is vastly improved post-Giuliani, and good luck to people like Worm on trying to tell people to disbelieve their own eyes and experiences in that city. We know you're nervously eyeing Giuliani's poll ratings while your phoney heroine, Hillary, puts on fake southern accents at black churches to hoodwink the people.

But perhaps Worm's also upset that, as a prosecutor, Giuliani convicted corporate criminal Marc Rich for evading taxes and making illegal oil deals with Iran during the hostage crisis. As Worm rails against "Corporate America" and Giuliani, he won't mention that Giuliani was a ruthless pursuer of corporate crooks, while Worm's own political heros, such as Bill Clinton, were in bed with them.

Boston Globe:
President Clinton's pardons have been a political issue for Hillary Clinton because of her ties to a number of the cases. In addition to the people who paid her brothers, those receiving pardons included commodities trader Marc Rich, a fugitive who was prosecuted for tax evasion by then-US Attorney Rudolph Giuliani and fled to Switzerland. Rich was pardoned after his former wife, Denise Rich, contributed heavily to Hillary Clinton's Senate campaign.

Yes, I'm looking forward to a Giuliani-Clinton debate where Rudy can mention that he convicted the criminal who later bribed Hillary for a pardon. Let's see Worm's favorite worm of a politician squirm out of that one.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm not interested in getting involved a whole debate about Guiliani or Hillary or New York or LA, but every time Hillary opens her mouth and I can only laugh at the time she claimed she babysat the children of migrant workers in her hometown of Park Ridge as their older siblings went to join their parents at work at agricultural jobs. Anyone who lives in the Chicagoland area should hang their heads in shame for ever thinking she was a responsible public official if she would make such a blatant lie that, like I said anyone in the Chicagoland area, would know is so obviously untrue it is embarassing. Didn't see a huge outcry for her lunacy in saying that though...

Who says I support Bush or Cheney? :rolleyes: Bush was apart of a secret society, something condemned by The Bible. Cheney, I'm not so sure about though. He swore a couple times, everyone does. Forgive and forget applies to Republicans too...

Who says I support Bush or Cheney? :rolleyes: Bush was apart of a secret society, something condemned by The Bible. Cheney, I'm not so sure about though. He swore a couple times, everyone does. Forgive and forget applies to Republicans too...

Cheney is a criminal. His blatant disrespect for the Congress was most telling. I really don't care about his language other than that. And who said you supported anyone if you want to play that game?

Cheney is a criminal. His blatant disrespect for the Congress was most telling. I really don't care about his language other than that. And who said you supported anyone if you want to play that game?

What game is this? It sounds interesting. :p I do "support" in the sense I want Bush and Cheney to do good, since they are still in power and the Democratic Party is even worse right now, I'm rooting for their ideas and plans to do good. For the good of everyone in America I want the economy to prosper under Bush and any other president, and I want Iraq to be managed better. Yes Cheney has had some shady dealings and I wouldn't choose him over another Republican alternative for vice president, but I thought we were really talking about his language there when that picture of Jesus called him foul mouthed. :o

When it comes right down to it, while I am very displeased with a number of things about this Administration, I really just dislike the opposition even more. John Kerry and Al Gore just so much worse to me. And anyone who Hugo Chavez calls the devil I'm inclinded to think is more akin to angels, but that's another story. ;)

My stance is simple: I dislike a lot of things about the Bush Administration, but I dislike the Democrats more, and will "support" them (in the sense like how a parent says they "support" the decisions of their children they have doubts in) but disagree with them quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom